SRS light lit up

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 11:36 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry SRS light lit up

All the suddent the SRS light lit up solid in my 2000TL and i brought it to the dealer and they said it's going to cost me about $800 to fix it. isn't that part of the safty and shouldn't that be fixed for free? Anyone has any issue like that?
Old 02-26-2005, 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, what's the part yo'ure fixing?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by wlee618
All the suddent the SRS light lit up solid in my 2000TL and i brought it to the dealer and they said it's going to cost me about $800 to fix it. isn't that part of the safty and shouldn't that be fixed for free? Anyone has any issue like that?
if its not still under the warranty mileage/age then no
Old 02-26-2005, 10:27 PM
Instructor

I had the same problem with our TL and the weird part was that we never have been in a wreck or anything that woudl cause it. It was fixed under warrenty though.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

DIY on resetting SRS light?

i was wondering if someone could post a DIY on resetting the light? (w/ pictures) the one i found was basically three sentences... and kinda confusing..
Old 02-26-2005, 11:04 PM

I have the same problem, actually its been about a month or so...i guess i am just lazy to get around to it...and i've also read that its MUCHO DINERO...to take in to the dealer...

So i am curious if anyone had any problems with after they reset the SRS light without getting it fixed?
Old 02-27-2005, 01:49 AM
Intermediate

My SRS light went on too.

My SRS light went on some time last year. When I took it to the stealership, they said it will cost 80 bucks Canadian to plug their computer in to get the code.

I told them to go ahead with it. So they plugged in the computer, and got the code. It turned out it was the seat belt buckle. Apparently the electronics were damaged in the buckle.

They end up not charging me the 80 bucks because the part was still under warranty.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:07 AM
Burning Brakes

oh... so wait, if the part is under warrenty - then the diagnostic is free? can someone clear this up?..
Old 02-27-2005, 02:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dow Jones
My SRS light went on some time last year. When I took it to the stealership, they said it will cost 80 bucks Canadian to plug their computer in to get the code.

I told them to go ahead with it. So they plugged in the computer, and got the code. It turned out it was the seat belt buckle. Apparently the electronics were damaged in the buckle.

They end up not charging me the 80 bucks because the part was still under warranty.
did the seatbelt light still lit up when the buckle wasn't in even though it was damaged?
Old 02-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by whatwasthat
oh... so wait, if the part is under warrenty - then the diagnostic is free? can someone clear this up?..
yes if its a warranty covered issue the diag is free.

you dont want to mess around with the srs stuff. resetting the light is bad if there is something wrong. If the srs light is on NONE of the air bags work. the computer shuts the system down. my suggestion is get it in to have tested.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:17 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by whatwasthat
well, what's the part yo'ure fixing?
the exact wording was 'faulty OPDS Sensor' need to replace the OPDS unit and R FR PAD
Old 02-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Instructor

are u still under warranty cause my light came on and they replaced some sensor that went bad under warranty. if not i'd still take it to get checked out. you don't wanna neglect the safety features in your car it could be the difference between life and death.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:31 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by wlee618
the exact wording was 'faulty OPDS Sensor' need to replace the OPDS unit and R FR PAD
and no.. they said it's not under warrany anymore...
Old 02-28-2005, 05:41 AM
Intermediate

I had this problem right after getting my car, and it was the passenger seat belt sensor. Again, no charge ... but since it was part of the seat belt, they would not have charged anyway.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Intermediate

did the seatbelt light still lit up when the buckle wasn't in even though it was damaged?
The above quote was from whatwasthat. I do not know how to get that "Originally Posted" on there.

It wasn't the seat belt light, it was the SRS light. And do not get it confused with the Side airbag light, which goes on sometimes when you put your bag or something in the passenger seat.

The SRS light was on no matter if the seat belt was in or out. I didn't know it was a seat belt problem until the dealership read the code.

Take it the dealership.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:07 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

My SRS light came on yesterday after a refueling stop. I talked to the service manager at the dealership a few minutes ago and the first question he asked was, "Did you have your cell phone sitting on the passenger seat?" Well, as a matter of fact, I did. He said that having a cell phone, computer or radar detector sitting on the seat would interfere with the OPDS (Occupant Position Detection System) sensor and, depending on the diagnostic code, the system can either be reset or I might have to pay $700+ to have the sensor replaced! This is OUTRAGEOUS. They REALLY should say something in the manual about not putting any electronics on the passenger seat. If I have to pay to replace the sensor because I did something as innocent as putting my cell phone on the seat, Acura Customer care will be hearing from me and they will wish I had never bought an Acura!

By the way, here is something I found about the reset procedure for the the SRS system. I haven't tried it to see if it works or not, so take it with "a grain of salt."

------------------------------------------------

1st..turn off the ignition and remove the MES connector(green or yellow plug with 2 wires in the underdash fuse box)and connect your paperclip between the two wires(insert one side deep and the otherside loosely)

2nd..Turn ignition on, SRS light will come on for about 6 seconds then shut off

3rd..disconnect the paperclip within 4 seconds of the light shutting off. SRS light will come back on.

4th..reconnect the paperclip within 4 seconds of the light coming on, SRS light will go off.

5th..disconnect your paperclip within 4 seconds, SRS light will indicate memory has been reset by blinking 2 times.

6th..Turn vehicle off and wait 10 seconds. Start vehicle, SRS light should come on and then go off as normal.

If it doesn't work the first time, keep trying. Timing is the key here.

---------------------------------------------

John
Old 03-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Not Asian

I think you guys are getting ripped on this sensor. My brother had the same problem and they quoted him $500 or so. The guy said it's about a $100 part and the rest is labor.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:11 PM

OK, just got back from the dealer and it was indeed a failed OPDS unit. It cost me $302.24 plus tax to get it replaced. The sensor itself was $164.64 and the labor was $137.60. I have a 2000 TL.

The curious thing is that virtually no one has ever sat in the passenger seat and that it just decided to fail for no good reason. The service manager did say again that you shouldn't leave a cell phone, laptop computer or a radar detector on the passenger seat. I don't know if I believe him, but I believe him enough to never put those things on the seat again just in case.

John
Old 03-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Advanced

I understand that seat belt sensor is a part of seat belt system and the seat belt is gurrantee for life. i think your dealer is ripping you off!
Old 03-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SFOX
I understand that seat belt sensor is a part of seat belt system and the seat belt is gurrantee for life. i think your dealer is ripping you off!
the seat belt is, but the sensor in the latch isnt!

oh and to those worried about electronics on the seat, my tl has had probably over 100,000 miles with a laptop sitting on the seat
Old 03-10-2005, 03:48 PM
MIA

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John_Cline
The service manager did say again that you shouldn't leave a cell phone, laptop computer or a radar detector on the passenger seat. I don't know if I believe him, but I believe him enough to never put those things on the seat again just in case.

John

I think thats a line of BS. Don't believe everything Acura SM's say.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if your still under warranty then they should fix it for free. Mine was free under warranty...
Old 03-12-2005, 01:48 AM
j83
Pro

it works!

John Cline thanks alot for the info on resetting the SRS light!
i was taking out my speedo to work on my gauges and turned the key on with the whole gauge cluster out, i didnt know but the srs system thoroughly checks all air bags including the SRS light on the gauge cluster, and because it didnt sense the srs light (because the gauge cluster was out) it threw on the srs light when i plugged it back in for a while i thought i had to take it to the dealership to get it hooked up to their scan tool, and charge me an arm and a leg...

the process looks so hard when you read it but in reality its just a quick plug in paper clip, key on, disconnect, then connect again, and disconnect and before you know it srs light flashes 2X and then turns off!

i had a bit difficult time looking for the mec plug, just a big heads up for you guys when you look under the dr side dash panel, and behind the fuse box you will see 2 yellow harnesses with 2 green wires coming out on both of them (i couldnt tell which one) so i had to disconnect the battery and unplug both, the lower larger fancy harness was not it, its the smaller harness above it. if youre unsure make sure you disconnect the battery and try looking for it... -j-
Old 03-12-2005, 11:09 AM
10th Gear

well.. i had my SRS light issue all taken care of. A friend's friend happened to work at aCURA and he had it fix with new parts($250). but from the conversation, he sounded like it's a 'very common' problem. i just said it's something abuot the OP... and he just finished the sentense with the OPDS sensor computer and quoted me that price. that trigerred me to think if it's a manufacture defect and 'can't prove' it... anyway...
Old 03-12-2005, 12:30 PM
All go, no show

I'm having the same problem w/ my car... the SRS light has not gone off since I had taken my dashboard out 3 months ago! So it's safe to assume there's nothing wrong with my airbags?

Originally Posted by j83
John Cline thanks alot for the info on resetting the SRS light!
i was taking out my speedo to work on my gauges and turned the key on with the whole gauge cluster out, i didnt know but the srs system thoroughly checks all air bags including the SRS light on the gauge cluster, and because it didnt sense the srs light (because the gauge cluster was out) it threw on the srs light when i plugged it back in for a while i thought i had to take it to the dealership to get it hooked up to their scan tool, and charge me an arm and a leg...

the process looks so hard when you read it but in reality its just a quick plug in paper clip, key on, disconnect, then connect again, and disconnect and before you know it srs light flashes 2X and then turns off!

i had a bit difficult time looking for the mec plug, just a big heads up for you guys when you look under the dr side dash panel, and behind the fuse box you will see 2 yellow harnesses with 2 green wires coming out on both of them (i couldnt tell which one) so i had to disconnect the battery and unplug both, the lower larger fancy harness was not it, its the smaller harness above it. if youre unsure make sure you disconnect the battery and try looking for it... -j-
Old 03-13-2005, 12:09 AM

From what I was told by an Acura technician, if the SRS light is on, the airbags are disabled.

John
Old 03-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Graphic/Web Designer

I too had SRS problems from the time I purchased my car. I took my 2000 TL-P to the dealer and they charged me $450 to replace the OPDS. Good thing for me the used car dealer I bought it from took care of the bill. I never imagines it could be such an expensive problem to fix.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:21 AM
Cruisin'

My SRS light just came on yesterday also... 2000TL