Squeaky seats anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 12:07 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaky seats anyone?

I've got a '02 TL-S (for about 6 months now) and notice that when I shift my weight to the left side of my seat, it squeaks. The squeaking reminds me of the "cheap shoe" squeak. But... it's annoying the crap out of me.

Funny thing, it doesn't do it when I shift my weight to the right nor does it do it in the passenger seat. I'll be bringing it in to the dealer to get it fixed but I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem?
Old 10-06-2002, 12:41 AM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I've got a 99TL and I had a similar problem. I actually had some creak and pop from my left side seat rail. They swaped out the seat base first and that didn't do it. It turned out to be an enlarged hole in a bracket that mounts to the seat. The hole was the pivot point on the front left corner of the drivers seat. Once they swaped out the bracket, the seat firmed up like new.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:53 AM
Intermediate

My 2002 TL-S driver's seat squeaks when on bumby roads. The first time the dealer inspected it and lubed it but it continued to squeak. Brought it back again for my scheduled maintenance and they will now replace the seat and tracking (whatever that is) free of charge as it is still under warranty.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:16 AM
Cruisin'

I have the same problem, and it is pissing me off to no end. I have an '03 TL-S. over bumps, it kind of chirps on the lower left side, and if I push back on the left, it does squeek as well.

Can we see everyone who has same problems, what recommended fix's worked, so we can print and go to dealer and show them what's up?

Thanks everyone.

P.S. Car is ok, but if I wanted squeeks and noises, etc, I could've saved 5K and bought a Honda!
Old 10-06-2002, 09:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
I don't have a noise in my TL-P's seat, but do find it is a little loose. If I shift backward or forward, I can feel the seatback move slightly backward or forward. Not normal behavior, and I'll have to bring it to the dealer for a fix.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:59 AM

My driver seat squeaks, also. Im going to have to bring it in. I thought i did something to it. guess not..

Mr
03 ABP TL-S
New Jersey
Old 10-06-2002, 11:45 AM
Instructor

I think this has already been discussed but....

Put some WD40 on the mounting bolt where the driver seat's seat belt anchor is. That is down bellow your hip on the driver seat's right hand side. That seat belt anchor mounting bolt is spring loaded so that the seat belt anchor can have some pivot play.

Unfortunately the spring rubs against the seat belt anchor's metal bracket and makes a squeaky noise. Which is heard when the car goes over a bump, shaking the driver's body. This, in turn, causes a rythmic tensioning and relaxing on the seat belt. This then tugs on the seat belt anchor causing it to pivot, side to side, and rub on the spring mechanism.

If you don't have your seat belt on and you hear squeaking then that's a different problem....

If you do have your seat belt on, WD40 on that spot at base of the seat belt anchor (where it bolts to the lower part of the seat, on the driver's right hand side) should do the trick...

This has already been discussed on this board.

Hope this helps...
Old 10-06-2002, 12:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

There has been a tsb out on the seat squeeks for years. Have the dealer fix it next time you are in for service.
Old 10-06-2002, 05:08 PM
Advanced

ngcreese - squeaking occurs with or without the seatbelt buckled.

However, thanks to everyone for their reply. I'll advise when I get it fixed from the dealer.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:41 PM
Banned

Yep ... dealer warranty issue!
Old 10-06-2002, 09:03 PM
Censored User

Location: Miami - just one day, I would like to drive without getting cut off!
YES! I have to turn the music up so I don't it ALL the time.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:58 AM
Instructor

DOUGH!!! --- oh well ,I tried... hope ya get it fixed at the dealer...

Old 10-07-2002, 10:31 AM
Instructor

'03 TLS, mine squeeks too...

Dirk Diggler.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

I got a 2003 TLS and my seat squeaks all the time and on my left side near the shoulder part there is a spring sound comming from inside. It sounds like shi$. I'm gonna tell the dealer to change my seat when I go in for my 15K service.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 tl-s. my front passsenger seat squeaks as well. and only when the passenger is wearing the seatbelt and weigh enough. i have to let the chic sit in the front all the time so that it wouldnt squeak. But it piss the sh*t out of me when i go out with the guys. So it either the chic is in the front or blast the music. I did read the FAQ section of this site and found out that its in the seat belt area but when i try to find the place as it describe in the instruction, i cant find it. Can anyone give me a clearer instruction ( not that the one in this site is not clear). The squeaking gotta stop!! way too annoying when you pay over 30k for a car and it squeaks after 1000 miles.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:12 PM
Instructor

my driver seat belt squeaks too... but not too much... i think if i bring it to the dealer they wont hear it or probably wont do anything..

anyone know if its the seat belt holder or the mounting brackets?
Old 10-08-2002, 06:47 AM
EKY
Advanced

I had this same problem with my '99 3.5RL. On the service invoice, it states they applied cloth tape to the seat frame and replaced a clip on the "back cover". I'm not too sure specifically what they did. It was covered under warranty and I haven't had any problems since.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

Hi all,

I bought in my 02' TL-S today for the 15k miles service, and complained about the front seat squeak...they said the leather gets stiff in cold weather, which made the noise.

What do you guys think?

- joel
Old 11-06-2002, 01:12 PM
Instructor

i love the crap dealer's come up with so they won't have to fix stuff...

"ahh yeah.. that uh clunking noise is the air modulator kicking in the engine idler needs to bend to let the air out the modulator so that the car can breathe. perfectly normal.."

jeez
Old 11-06-2002, 03:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by joelny
Hi all,

I bought in my 02' TL-S today for the 15k miles service, and complained about the front seat squeak...they said the leather gets stiff in cold weather, which made the noise.

What do you guys think?

- joel
That Bullsh*t!!
My seat squeak too and i think i know where it comes from. Its from the seatbelt. move the seatbelt(the part where it clip) back and forth very slow and listen. It sounds exactly the same as the squeak that you been hearing.
BTW i still havent founf any solution to this yet.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:09 PM
10th Gear

SQUEAKING SEATS

Oh Yea...
Cold weather causes the squeaking seats...probably right as the temperature here in fort lauderdale florida went down to 80....I got my Acura in June and it has squeaked since August, i am bringing in next week for oil change and we will see what Rick (RIP-OFF ) Case has to say...heat...HA!!!

:
Old 11-07-2002, 01:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hell yeah squeaky seat for me. My driver seat sounds like a spring compressing and decompressing. I know it's not the weather so I'm gonna get the dealer to change my seat at my 15K service.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:11 AM
Instructor

I just had my squeaky drivers seat fixed yesterday along with the sunroof 'creak', while having my 11.5K service. The squeaks and creaks were repaired under warranty. It's quiet as a mouse in there right now, but I'm curious to see if they come back after a while...
Old 11-07-2002, 11:35 AM
9th Gear

03 TL-S, just over a month old and 1,300 miles on the ODO, the driver seat started squeaking a couple of days ago alongside the whistle noise from my A/C that dealer is unable to fix! I'm already disappointed at this car.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:52 AM
Pro

My seat has squeaked for a good year before it was fixed.

I told dealer to fix it every service or every week after. They lube it & fixed the seatbelt problem.

They took my seat off the rails and out the car each time (and scraped my B-pillar each time which I told them afterwardds...which they replaced free). It still squeaked.

Then finally one day, the squeaking stopped after I brought it in. Now my windows make this annoying loud noise when the are raised up.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:28 PM
Intermediate

I tried spraying WD-40 to the seat-belt clip today and no good...=\
I guess the sound comes from the driver seat's left-front corner...every time I shift my weight back and forth I hear that noise...even without seat-belt...it's driving my crazy.

Guess I'll have to bring in my car again and have them replaced.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:12 PM
9th Gear

Originally posted by joelny
I tried spraying WD-40 to the seat-belt clip today and no good...=\
I guess the sound comes from the driver seat's left-front corner...every time I shift my weight back and forth I hear that noise...even without seat-belt...it's driving my crazy.

Guess I'll have to bring in my car again and have them replaced.
I just tried the WD-40 solution and no luck. I hear the sound from the exact same location it's very annoying.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:25 PM
Comptech Freak

both of my seats squeaks...it's just the seatbelt...
don't hear any noise when i am not with seatbelt
Old 11-07-2002, 05:47 PM
Safety Car

For those of you who went to the dealer and have it fixed. How long does it take??
Dont tell me i have to leave the car a couple of days. I need this car!!
Old 11-08-2002, 05:33 AM
Cruisin'

My seat squeakED to no end. I took it in, they lubed the INSIDE of the seat where the seat cover hooks onto the metal bar/railing. The squeak occured going over bumps or moving...it was behind my left shoulder while sitting in the drivers' seat. On the drive home, it started up again...Acura called the next day for the "service check" and it was not a good day so I told them what was going on and the problem wasn't resolved...so I took it in again...they put foam tape around the problematic area...so now more squeak for me.

I only noticed it when the stereo was off.....which isn't often.

Take your cars in if they are squeaking...last 2 times it took them a few hours to get to it...I imagine it hardly took anytime to fix it.

-M

P.S. My squeak had NOTHING to do with the seat belt..
Old 11-08-2002, 05:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally posted by Michellene
My seat squeakED to no end. I took it in, they lubed the INSIDE of the seat where the seat cover hooks onto the metal bar/railing. The squeak occured going over bumps or moving...it was behind my left shoulder while sitting in the drivers' seat. On the drive home, it started up again...Acura called the next day for the "service check" and it was not a good day so I told them what was going on and the problem wasn't resolved...so I took it in again...they put foam tape around the problematic area...so now more squeak for me.

I only noticed it when the stereo was off.....which isn't often.

Take your cars in if they are squeaking...last 2 times it took them a few hours to get to it...I imagine it hardly took anytime to fix it.

-M

P.S. My squeak had NOTHING to do with the seat belt..
I got the same problem, took it to the dealer. They ordered *new seat base* ( I don't know what it is or how it looks ).

They also installed some tape or something to fix back-dash rattle, the dealer did not even bother to reproduce it, they said its a common problem and we install some tape and re-assemble some parts. The sqeak has not occured since, but it might be back when temperature changes....

I got serious issues with interior accessories, they fail...
1. my rear view mirrow got bad (stoped dimming), fixed under warranty
2. my heated seat stoped working, waiting on a heated element part
3. waitng for a seat base to fix squeak
4. fixed rear dash rattle under warranty
5. window regulator replaced on passenger side, now driver's is bad.... i'll complain next time.
6. CD player makes abnormal noises to enject CD ( but still works!)
Also, my climate control makes abnormal noises when changing 'mode' (buzzing noise)
I guess I will just inform my dealership about it, so if it fails after warranty - I will get covered.

I've been fortunate enough with engine and transmission, car runs greate....

But I've been very unfortunate with rattles, squeaks and poor quality of accessoris....
Old 11-08-2002, 06:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by this is me
For those of you who went to the dealer and have it fixed. How long does it take??
Dont tell me i have to leave the car a couple of days. I need this car!!
My dealer fixed the seat squeaks, did an oil change, and washed the car in 45 minutes.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:24 PM
Intermediate

How long is the warranty that covers the seats? I just had my 15k miles service...

And is the dealer "glad" to get new seats for you? If so I'll bring my car in and ask them for new seats on Monday...
Old 11-08-2002, 11:37 PM
Cruisin'

Mine just started to do that
Old 11-09-2002, 08:36 PM
Advanced

The dealer installed foam tape. The squeaking stopped for a few weeks but now it's coming back.

Also, the steering wheel is making the "scraping noise". I have a feeling they've got to take out the airbag for that one...
Old 11-09-2002, 11:37 PM
Intermediate

oh I hear noise from steering wheel too...is that normal?
Old 11-10-2002, 03:19 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Looks like most of you guys have the seatbelt squeaks! I also have one on the passenger side. Dealer put WD40, but it came back already. I plan to go back. But just recently. My driverside LUMBAR Support makes a annoying squeak noise! Whenever I sit down, and then I raise myself forward, it makes a squeak. It sounds like a metal spring.

Has anyone got this problem? I would go to the dealer, but I want them to replace the seat, not lube it. They'll probably get lube all over my leather.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've never had seatbelt squeaks.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:07 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by ElegantTL-S

Looks like most of you guys have the seatbelt squeaks! I also have one on the passenger side. Dealer put WD40, but it came back already.
I asked my dealer about this one and what they'd do. He just said to call them 1 week in advance and they'd order a new seatbelt thingy. I guess there's a lot of variation as to what dealers do.

Has anyone got this problem? I would go to the dealer, but I want them to replace the seat, not lube it. They'll probably get lube all over my leather.
If it's a problem with the seat itself, then they *will* replace it. I can't see how you can just WD40 the seat and hope it penetrates into the springs.

As for the "scraping" steering wheel, I remember a friend of mine had it years ago on his Acura Vigor (brand new at the time). He had to go in to the dealer 3 times and each time they had to replace the air bag. Expen$ive!

I'll have to find out what they're going to do to me.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:50 AM
Racer

Mine squeeks like hell now. But when I actually lean to the left side it goes away...

Quick Reply: Squeaky seats anyone?