sportshift

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 11:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sportshift

when you are in regular drive and lets say doing 40 or something, could you put it into sportshift without comming to a complete stop?

or will this damage the car in anyway?

what does the manufacture reccomend?
Old 10-23-2002, 11:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Absolutely... You can switch in and out of Sportshift at any time. If you're doing 40 and in... say... 4th gear, when you slap it over to SS it will pick up in 4th.

The only thing I was warned against is moving into SS when the car is shifting.... so, if you're accelerating and you know the car is going to upshift... wait until the tranny shifts.. then move it over....
Old 10-23-2002, 11:58 AM
yeah i'm bored.

you can switch back and forth at any time.

a lot of the time when im just driving, i leave it in auto, then if someone starts pissin me off i drop it into s/s and leave their ass in my rearview =)
Old 10-23-2002, 02:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes change it to Sport-Shift mode at any speed or from Sport-Shift
back to normal D5 automatic mode.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

wow. i never knew that. i always thought this was a no no.

for the past 3 years on my lude, i have never switched over to sport mode when moving..

wow learn something new everyday.

thanks guys
Old 10-23-2002, 03:15 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by asloudasitgets
wow. i never knew that. i always thought this was a no no.

for the past 3 years on my lude, i have never switched over to sport mode when moving..

wow learn something new everyday.

thanks guys
Now start having some real fun
Old 10-23-2002, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I used to do that all the time on road trips to LA. I'd drive up the grapevine in auto, then on the way down I'd switch over to sport shift to control my speed, that way I'm not riding the brakes.......
Old 10-23-2002, 05:09 PM
Race Director

I dont get what the purpose of S/S Is?? I mean its just like Manual only slower.. Does it help to race or what?? Also how do you know what gear your in is there a display?
Old 10-23-2002, 05:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2004TL
I dont get what the purpose of S/S Is?? I mean its just like Manual only slower.. Does it help to race or what?? Also how do you know what gear your in is there a display?

yes there is a display that tells you the gear ur in
Old 10-23-2002, 06:23 PM
Burning Brakes

It lets u control when u want to shift. I do agree that there is a slight delay from the time u shift to the actual gear change, I just shift about 1000 RPMs before my desired RPM and it will normally shift right where and when I want too. Just got to practice.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by 2004TL
SS is much faster than automatic i will tell u that. Mainly race, but it has other applications also such as you can keep your car in low gears in rush hour traffic for more power.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:30 PM
Instructor

The only things I don't like about SS is you can't control Gears 1 and 2, and sometimes at 80+MPH it will not drop down to 3rd gear. There's nothing worse than starting an 80-100mph race and your car refuses to downshift to 3rd. Other than that SS is pretty cool, because you almost have total control over 3-5 gear, and the shifts are firmer and quicker.
Many times if I'm racing I'll gate shift to control 1st/2nd gear. Here's an example where gate shifting helps: You are behind someone at a stop getting ready to make a turn, and you intend to race the person in front of you. You can't floor your car, because you'll break traction in the curve. When you are in SS the car will shift to 2nd gear around the turn, because you aren't at full throttle. Sometimes when you floor the gas after you straightend out it won't shift back to first, and sometimes it will for just a second and then shift back to 2nd gear. Either way the car in front is long down the road. If you use the gate shifter you can hold it in first gear around the corner so you can get on it hard when you straighten out. Just be careful to shift by 6600, so the car won't hit the rev-limiter. (nasty sound)
Old 10-23-2002, 10:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

I only us the SS when I'm on the freeway.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:18 AM
Instructor

I don't like the SS at all....I miss my manual.....
Old 10-25-2002, 02:46 AM
...and then there was One

I agree with DMan. My car spends most of it's time in the bracket. What happens if you are in SS and for some reason can't move your hand down and shift right away? If I'm in D3, D4, or D5, I just step on the gas and it will shift. It will shift 2 gears faster than you can in SS mode. Plus, the control you have with 1st and 2nd is great. At times, in SS mode, it will shift from 1st to 2nd before it even hits redline; not good if you are really trying to get somewhere fast. Using the bracket, I can still control what gear I am in. You guys need to get someone that is used to shifting through the bracket, and someone that uses SS, to line up together and get it on. Plus, you get better gas mileage if you shif through the bracket.
Drive safe.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:57 AM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

From my experience, the SS mode allows for higher reved upshift. When i let the car shift in D5 mode, from 1st to 2nd gear it will shift a bit short of redline. When it is in SS mode, 1 to 2 shift is closer to red line. Once the car is in 2nd gear, throw it back into D5. The point is, in SS mode which is 10% faster at shifting than regular d5 mode, you can take advantage with the 1st to 2nd change. Try it out, you will see that it allows for the best run every time, no rev limiter involved at all.
Finally, DO NOT gate shift, the tranny gives very crappy response to gate shifts, and the shift is not the best. Plus, you will hit the rev limiter several times unless you pay close attention and know exactly when to shift over. What a hassle!
Old 10-25-2002, 09:43 AM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I didn't learn this til I bought the TL and asked the salesman. He said, anytime but don't do ti between gear shifts. So I'm like cool, I never knew that...yeah..the things you learn when you ask...hahaha
Old 10-25-2002, 08:45 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by power3dfx
From my experience, the SS mode allows for higher reved upshift. When i let the car shift in D5 mode, from 1st to 2nd gear it will shift a bit short of redline. When it is in SS mode, 1 to 2 shift is closer to red line. Once the car is in 2nd gear, throw it back into D5. The point is, in SS mode which is 10% faster at shifting than regular d5 mode, you can take advantage with the 1st to 2nd change. Try it out, you will see that it allows for the best run every time, no rev limiter involved at all.
Finally, DO NOT gate shift, the tranny gives very crappy response to gate shifts, and the shift is not the best. Plus, you will hit the rev limiter several times unless you pay close attention and know exactly when to shift over. What a hassle!
I object . . !

I've used shift gate from day 1 because SS is a weak option.

I've also driven every automatic I've owned over the past 26 years in this fashion. And as stated many a times, I've yet to lose a tranny to this.

Also, shiftgate shifting, done properly will result in your best times. It also provides you the control over which gear you want to be in. No having to ratchet thru the gears to downshift and you can ensure a full run in 1st gear without the early shift you get in Auto or SS mode.

And lastly, let it be know that for whatever reason, there is a higher degree of failures for folks who've used auto mode vs SS, and shiftgate users even less. Just check out the CL Forums Tranny thread - failures by shifting style poll.

RUF
Old 10-25-2002, 09:14 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what *I* want to see is a heads up display of the gear you're in. its REALLY annoying to sometimes guess your gear when your steering wheel is in the way of that mini display.

granted, with enough practice, you're mostly right, but nothing beats being sure. you drive a stick... you're sure based on slot position.

other than that, I appreciate SS simply for being able to control exactly WHEN I want my shift going around curves and what nots. dont have to step on the gas and wait. I shift and THEN step and catch it right at the "meat" of the torque range

I also like it that you can minimize the shift jerk that way. get a groove going and your car feels like a CVT ..