Sport Shift Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2001, 02:10 PM

Post Sport Shift Questions

Okay, I've mentally prepared myself to be humbled, though I'm sure most of the responses will be as genuine as my question.

I don't own a TL (gasp). However I've considered one on paper. Before going into a dealership, I'd like to have an idea of how the Sport Shift works so I don't look like an idiot. (Better here than there!)

I've been driving a standard for the past 10 years and am curious about the SS functionality - how does it work, how does it feel compared to manual transmition; does it lurch or is it smooth, and what is the shift response time compared to when it's in "automatic" mode.

Sorry I'm not more up on the lingo; as you see I'm a newbie. I've searched the other pages for this information but haven't found this kind of info.

Please use the following diagram if helpful (and if it shows up).

Thanks
Old 02-22-2001, 02:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Welcome to the board. Hope you get your TL. I love mine.

The biggest difference I had to get used to with SS is that you don't want to take your foot off the gas when shifting. I kept doing that for a while and realized it doesn't help.

Other than that, it's pretty smooth, certainly nothing like a manual trans. It's definitely something fun to use when driving on winding roads, or to fly up the acceleration lane when merging onto a highway. I love that one. The people behind you will be like, "What the f*ck does he have under the hood.

Good luck,

Neil

------------------
1999 Satin Silver Metallic 3.2 TL w/o Navigation
  • 18x8 Racing Hart C2s with 225/40ZR18 Dunlop SP Sport 9000
  • Comptech Springs, Sways, Exhaust, and Headers
  • Red AEM CAI
  • A'PEXi Digital VTEC AFC
  • Factory Underbody Kit and Spoiler
  • Clifford Intelliguard 9000 Alarm
  • Alpine 6 disk CD Changer
  • BEL 945i Cordless Radar Detector
  • Burlwood Shift Knob & Trunk Tray
  • 20% tint
Old 02-22-2001, 02:14 PM

Smile

Wow, I made Silver!

Still kinda newbie as far as TL experience goes :-)
Old 02-22-2001, 03:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember first getting in a TL and not knowing how to even shift to drive.

Looking at the diagram: You pull the lever to the right to get it out of park. Then pull it down. You're in reverse. Pull down and to the left and you're in nuetral. Pull down once more and you're in D5. This is where you will spend most of the time driving.

Below D5 are the 4, 3, 2, and 1 like any auto tranny.

To the left of D5 is the SS slot. Once there you will be shown on your dash what gear you're in. Tap the lever up to upshift and tap it down to downshift. Thats pretty much all of it. You can keep it in gear until you redline, however, if you forget to downshift it will do it automatically. So if you slow from 5th to a stop and don't down shift it does it for you.

One thing about 2000+ TLs is that the SS automatically shifts from 1st to 2nd. If you tap up trying to shift from 1st to 2nd it will usually shift 1st to 2nd automatically, then shift to 3rd because you tapped it. This is not exactly ideal if it happens when trying to race.

Its smooth and give you more control but its nothing like a stick. You can downshift to slow yourself or you can keep it in a lower gear for acceleration. But for racing you'll probably do just as well by putting the car in D4 auto and flooring the gas (of course you don't want to spin the tires much but you get the point). SS is supposed 10% faster than auto, I think thats what the manual says anyway.

I barely use it though its fun occaisionally.

------------------
2001 Silver TL, non-navi, Inspire tails & wood steering wheel, burlwood dash kit & shift knob, Alumapro BP-10 & ZX400TI Phoenix Gold, Polarg M-12 front signals, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), factory spoiler & body kit, AEM short ram intake, super bright blue alarm LEDs, Mugen grill w/ custom mesh, Comptech sways & springs, 3" chrome exhaust tips.

On order: 19" Alstadt IVs, 225/35ZR19 Nitto 555s, SuperCrystal lugs.
------------------
"Every man dies, not every man lives."
Old 02-22-2001, 04:09 PM
Acuras Only in

Cool

I really wanted to help but couldn't have said any better than this

Hope you get a TL : it rocks !
Old 02-22-2001, 05:07 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks, guys. That's what I was hoping to find out.

As they say down in Aggieland: "Gig 'Em" (hence the thumbs up)

Old 02-22-2001, 06:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 12thMan:

So, are you a farmer or a mechanic? (BTW, yes - I am a UT Alumnus)

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 02-22-2001, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Gomez:
Originally posted by 12thMan:

So, are you a farmer or a mechanic? (BTW, yes - I am a UT Alumnus)

Good question, long story. Short version: Farmer. Will be mechanic in May from UTA (Arlington). Could only go to UTA b/c it used to be part of A&M
Old 02-22-2001, 09:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

you just put it into the ss slot...between the '+' and 'minus'....to go from 2nd to 3rd...3rd to 4th...and 4th to fifth...hit the shifter up towards the plus. Viceversa for downshitfing, only that in newer tl's you can shift into or from 1st gear.

------------------
Mugen exhaust
now ordering AEM short ram
Old 02-23-2001, 12:18 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh... and expect a delay afer you tap the shifter. I want to point this out because if you were on the street let's say in 4th gear. You will be surprised when you down shift it into 2nd. The car will just jump on you. You don't have to heel and toe of course... but you still need to give some gas to match revs. It is not as fun as a stick of course. But you will be happier with the SS when you got stuck in traffic...
Old 02-23-2001, 12:09 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

One more suggestion... when you go into the dealer still act dumb... this way you'll see if you got a good honest guy or someone who wants to screw you over...
As far as SS goes I think you got the idea from Nate's post and if not... when you go to the dealer don't act just be yourself...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-23-2001, 11:06 PM
ab
Advanced

the biggest problem i had adapting to the SS was the hand motion. i'm used to doing up motions for 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear and down motions for 2nd, 4th, and 6th. so be aware of that cuz if you've been driving stick for a while, it'll mess w/ ur head. every now and then i still SS to 3rd and i feel like i hafta keep it in the "gate", where in actuality, u hafta let go of the "stick"