spoiler break light replaces 3rd breaklight?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 12:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spoiler break light replaces 3rd breaklight?

alright so i wuz gonna do this little asthetic mod on the TL, which just masked out the 3rd breakight, to say acura (found the idea from "the other site". Looks pretty good from wut i have seen, especially at night. I hope BLACUARA doesnt mind me putting the picture here, but it looks really good in this pic http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...3/fc30bf78.jpg )

so wut does all this have to do with n e thing? I wuz in the process of taking out the back seat, to get to the breaklight in the sub, and once i got it out, i couldnt find the bulb. Im like WTF, where the hell is it??. Looked all over, and found a wire connector that wuznt connected to n e thing. I called up acura asked about this, and they said they usually take out the third breaklight when putting on the spoiler. I just find it annoying that its there doing nothing now

so moral of the story?.. there is none, im an idiot for not relizing that there is no third breaklight, and wasted a whole bunch of time taking apart and putting back the seat.... :banghead:

just wondering if all of u with spoilers have the third break light non-functional as well
Old 07-26-2003, 02:03 PM

Its against the law to have 4 break lights. Since you have a spoiler and there are lights on it. So Acura automatically disconnects the break light that is right behing the back window.

Your only allowed to have 3 break lights...

Hope that helps.....
Old 07-26-2003, 04:05 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Mr
Its against the law to have 4 break lights. Since you have a spoiler and there are lights on it. So Acura automatically disconnects the break light that is right behing the back window.

Your only allowed to have 3 break lights...

Hope that helps.....

Wow! I didn't know that! I have spoiler and 3rd break light. When I got my spoiler installed, they didn't disconnect the 3rd breaklight. I am in PA so not sure if the law is the same here.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whenever you buy a factory spolier the dealer always (well, most of the time), disconnects the third brake light. If you leave it connected it looks retarded anyway. I just had my tint guy go over it so you can;'t see it from outside the car
Old 07-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Intermediate

thats wut im kinda annoyed about. I had the tints sorround the 3rd brake light, not covering it. If i had knew before hand, i would have for sure let the tint installer, cover the whole window including the 3rd brake light area..
Old 07-27-2003, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
don't know the law ...

Hey Clement,

I don't know what the 'law' is in Ontario but when I got my car, they left all the brake lights connected. When I went to a 'meet' in Toronto, I asked TLS_RULZ (aka Kurt) to unplug the 3rd light (so only the spoiler would light up in the middle).

I know Tatewaki has all the lights in the back working and he's never been pulled over by the cops (and he's got a lot of mods on his car ... and TO is bad for cops pulling people over!)

Still have yet to install my Cusco upper front strut bar. (too lazy) Maybe when I'm not working so much.

- derrick
Old 07-27-2003, 02:16 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ya, i don't know about having that extra brake light as being illegal...i never heard that before. I guess check your states laws regarding that.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:30 AM
Instructor

All OEM spoilers I see have the third brakelight non-functional. Aftermarket spoilers seem to be 50/50. And yes, 4 break lights looks very weird.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

IIRC--since there are two connectors that go to the third brakelight, and one of them is used to power the OEM spoiler brakelight, if you leave the other third brakelight connector in place (i.e., connected to one of the two bulbs), the third brakelight will look kinda odd since only one of the two third brakelight bulbs will be lit.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought my car with the rear spoiler and the dealer left my rear window brake light connected. After Tdoh's bro tinted my rear window he was kind enough to disconnect it for me!

V.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:11 AM
Instructor

You can get to the bulbs for the stock third brake light through the trunk.

I found this out when I got the rear doors and back window tinted - they forgot to put the two bulbs in the 3rd brake light back in their sockets. The bulb wiring can be seen along the edge of the center of the back shelf close to the trunk opening.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have posted a few times before on this topic. With my 2 other previous new HONDA ACCORDS a 90 & a 94. I also had the factory spoiler on each of them. The 3rd brake light was disconnected. I forget the exact reason I was told back in 1990 as to why it is not hooked up. When I purchased the 90 ACCORD I did not get the spoiler when I got the car. I purchased it a month later. The 1994 ACCORD spoiler was put on the the night before I picked up the car. I think its in the spoiler installation instruction not to have the 3rd brake light working. My TL also has it disconnected.

nda