So the Honda/Acura lawsuit continues...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 12:31 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So the Honda/Acura lawsuit continues...

I'm not sure if you guys are aware...but the lawfirm that Austin519 contacted roughly a year ago to file a class action lawsuit regarding our transmission is in FULL EFFECT!

I just recently gave my deposition to the Honda lawers last Thursday about my experience, and they will be investigating the 3 main web-boards I've given as a future source of information, as well as statements made by myself and others about their transmission issues...which is A-TL, A-CL & AW!

Sooo...keep this in mind when you are typing online...You never know when your statement will be used in COURT!

BTW...I'll be representing the Bay Area / Alameda county region for this class-action lawsuit. The guy representing Sacramento is here too, but I don't know his login name. So if you are reading this, feel free to chime in.

If any of you guys want to do a bit of homework, this is the firm that'll be representing all the owners within the state of California. Due to different laws for each state, they can only represent California drivers only, but more than likely Honda will settle something that will effect everyone (to prevent repeated lawsuits from other states).

Post Kirby Noonan & Sweat LLP

The gentlemen working on the case is James R. Lance and Matthew P. Nugent, so if you would like you share your experience with them to help get Honda to recall and replace all 99-2003 transmissions with a newly designed one, SPEAK UP!

All you have to do is contact Matt and tell him your name, make & model of your vehicle and state that you would like to share your experience with all of us. Most (if not all) of the work is already done...all you have to do is speak up.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:58 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great! It's about time. Info sent to attorneys.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:26 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank god...

Honda/Acura really needs a god damn slap in the face for what they have caused people. End users, and the dealers.

Granted, they were not directly responsible for the failures, but they are responsible for who they out source to.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Instructor

Do You Know How Much Will It Cost?

Originally Posted by edgalang
I'm not sure if you guys are aware...but the lawfirm that Austin519 contacted roughly a year ago to file a class action lawsuit regarding our transmission is in FULL EFFECT!

I just recently gave my deposition to the Honda lawers last Thursday about my experience, and they will be investigating the 3 main web-boards I've given as a future source of information, as well as statements made by myself and others about their transmission issues...which is A-TL, A-CL & AW!

Sooo...keep this in mind when you are typing online...You never know when your statement will be used in COURT!

BTW...I'll be representing the Bay Area / Alameda county region for this class-action lawsuit. The guy representing Sacramento is here too, but I don't know his login name. So if you are reading this, feel free to chime in.

If any of you guys want to do a bit of homework, this is the firm that'll be representing all the owners within the state of California. Due to different laws for each state, they can only represent California drivers only, but more than likely Honda will settle something that will effect everyone (to prevent repeated lawsuits from other states).

Post Kirby Noonan & Sweat LLP

The gentlemen working on the case is James R. Lance and Matthew P. Nugent, so if you would like you share your experience with them to help get Honda to recall and replace all 99-2003 transmissions with a newly designed one, SPEAK UP!

All you have to do is contact Matt and tell him your name, make & model of your vehicle and state that you would like to share your experience with all of us. Most (if not all) of the work is already done...all you have to do is speak up.

my transmission is hopping my RPM at break speed. i think there is something wrong with my tranny. do you know how much will it cost me use the law firm to change the new design tranny.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Pro

Finally, Honda/Acura can recall the MDX and Pilot for a tranny but not the TL, CL. If the tranny dies I am getting rid of this car before 100k miles.

My tranny has not failed yet but you never know with our 5spd
Old 06-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Racer

I sent info to the lawyer
Old 06-21-2004, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by guavawang
my transmission is hopping my RPM at break speed. i think there is something wrong with my tranny. do you know how much will it cost me use the law firm to change the new design tranny.

cost? NOTHING. just speak up so you can be counted. and when I mean speak up...email them.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:04 PM
l33t

Originally Posted by Chet03TL-S
Finally, Honda/Acura can recall the MDX and Pilot for a tranny but not the TL, CL. If the tranny dies I am getting rid of this car before 100k miles.

My tranny has not failed yet but you never know with our 5spd

The only reason that was a "recall" was because the issue constituted a "substantial saftey risk", while the TL/CL tranny issues did not produce the numbers of "dangerous sircumstances" to call it a "recall".

In Honda's eyes, the word "recall" is horrible and should never be spoken out loud They got away with it on the TL/CL, how i dont know, but they could not with the MDX...
Old 06-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Instructor

it's about time 2nd tranny is starting to act funnie....
one more tranny failure and that is it...i don't want to experience another tranny failure
Old 06-21-2004, 11:05 PM
Banned

Sorry to sound noob
I have the tiptronic 5 spd

How will I know when my transmission is acting funny
Old 06-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Broly
Sorry to sound noob
I have the tiptronic 5 spd

How will I know when my transmission is acting funny
Delayed gear engagement, hesitant downshifting/upshifting, whistling noise coming from underneath the center console, banging into gears, sudden downshifting into 2nd gear, etc.

By the way, it's SportShift.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:39 PM
Banned

Uh oh,
Do the maintenence guys check my tranny

or must I do it

Because when i use SS sometimes it lags a bit..
heh

OH SHIT
Old 06-22-2004, 12:00 AM
Dragging knees in

What year's your car, and how many miles are on her?

SS does lag a bit, because it's not meant for quick precision shifting, unlike SMG. It's there for holding a desired gear through a turn.... or lining up for a drag race from a roll.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:11 AM
Banned

02, 66000 KMS around
Old 06-22-2004, 12:13 AM
Dragging knees in

Your car has an extended warranty for 7-years/100,000 miles.

I want to say 160,000 kilometers, but I think the extended warranty either wasn't offered to Canadian owners or was for a lower mileage limit.

Ask your dealership.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:25 AM
Instructor

I have a question... When your transmission gets replaced - does that "reset" the warranty (meaning years/mileage start from zero)? Logically, that's what should happen, but I doubt it does. I believe that every new/rebuild transmission should carry the same warranty as the original one - no matter what is the age/mileage of the car - there is no connection. Anybody knows for sure how it works?
Old 06-22-2004, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Hey im still on my frist tranny and im at 160,000 miles. But i beleive its going to crap out on me in the future. So hopefully there will be a full recall. cause i dont want to pay!!!
Old 06-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This should be a sticky.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Your car has an extended warranty for 7-years/100,000 miles.

I want to say 160,000 kilometers, but I think the extended warranty either wasn't offered to Canadian owners or was for a lower mileage limit.

Ask your dealership.
We got the same warranty extention here in Canuckland 7yrs/160k Km.
Got the letter last summer.
J
Old 06-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by edgalang
Wow - that's great news. Nothing like a class action suit to put salt in the wound. So now some lawyers are going to make 200 million or so each, and everyone with a bad transmission will get something like a free Acura keychain.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
I hope something happens with this. I went through two trannies 2001 TL, second replacement seems to be doing well, I'm at 113,543 mil.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Again I'm hearng of a "redesigned" tranny. Is this recent? What are the changes?
There doesn't seem to be any "official" word of solutions. Just some hearsay about
widening some lubrication channels.

If there isn't a real solution I'm VERY tempted to sell out before 7yr/100k expires.

/Steve
01-TL
Old 06-23-2004, 04:49 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gregtomash
I have a question... When your transmission gets replaced - does that "reset" the warranty (meaning years/mileage start from zero)? Logically, that's what should happen, but I doubt it does. I believe that every new/rebuild transmission should carry the same warranty as the original one - no matter what is the age/mileage of the car - there is no connection. Anybody knows for sure how it works?
Your powertrain does not restart, that is what i am told... it sucks because a new transmission should mean new warranty and since Honda is using refurbishes trannis, there is no way that a old ass tranny is going to last in a newer TL with the problem... All they do is send the dead trannies to get repaired... so in theory you could get a high mileage tranny in your newer vehicle...

For example.... Car A has tranny A; Car B has Tranny B, Car A has traveled about 80k miles and it's tranny (tranny A) fails. In the same respect Car B travels 8k miles and then it's tranny kinks over. Tranny A & B are sent in to get refurbished... but there is no way you are gauranteed to get the tranny that you sent in back in your car, so Car A can get Tranny B (which has low mileage) and Car B can get Tranny A (a high mileage tranny).

I think this is unfair, I think Honda should redesign the tranny and replace everyones tranny with a new redesigned tranny not a refurbished piece os shit that WILL fail again.... Then they should give us all another 100k mile warranty.... for the headache and shit they caused....
Old 06-24-2004, 08:41 AM
Advanced

TL-S Transmission AcuraCare Extended Warranty

Thanks for the information! I just sent Matt an email.

In addition to the transmission problem, I also let him know about AcuraCare Extended Warranty and the lack of response to it. What I am referring to is that I purchased the AcuraCare Extended Warranty when I bought my car and it extended the coverage of the transmission from 4 yr 50k miles to 7 yr 100k miles.

I contacted a website called Curry AcuraCare and asked them what will happen for those of us who purchased the extended warranty. Will they refund us some money back (cost a little over $1,400) or will they extend the transmission coverage to 10 years 150k miles?

Their response was that the transmission was probably a small portion of the fee and that it didn't warrant any action on their part, but that I should contact AcuraCare for verification. At first I was confused because I thought they were AcuraCare. At any rate, I am a bit miffed and feel that I have been taken for purchasing the extended warranty. If its a small portion and considered insignificant, then they should at least extend the coverage to 10 years 150k miles for the extended warranty buyers. Plus I don't think shelling out $2k-4k for a new transmission is really considered insignificant.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:41 PM
3rd Gear

lawsuit

I bought a brand new 2003 TL last year and my mileage is only 6000 miles.
I do not have any problem with tyranny yet, but I am afraid it might happen in the near future. According to the Threads, the problem starts from third gear, but the recall only covers second gear. That means they are leaving out the real problem. Can I still be included in the lawsuit?
Old 07-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Instructor

i want to be included too my 99 tl has very delayed shifting
Old 07-15-2004, 10:52 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with what you guys are doing, but if Honda/Acura get their hands on the board and read a post about someone racing, and then blowing their trannies a few months later, they will have a very strong defence. And they will use whatever examples they find online about guys racing and doing stupid shit to give board members and enthusiasts a bad name.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by awood
Wow - that's great news. Nothing like a class action suit to put salt in the wound. So now some lawyers are going to make 200 million or so each, and everyone with a bad transmission will get something like a free Acura keychain.
don't be too optomistic, its more like the lawyers will make about $500 million while the Acura owners will get a free scratch n sniff sticker! hahahah.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigman
I agree with what you guys are doing, but if Honda/Acura get their hands on the board and read a post about someone racing, and then blowing their trannies a few months later, they will have a very strong defence. And they will use whatever examples they find online about guys racing and doing stupid shit to give board members and enthusiasts a bad name.
Racing/running your car hard, a little faster than the norm...isn't that what this car is for though? I thought this car was a high performance luxury sedan? Not to toot your horn, but i think pushing your car or racing is the same...i feel that there is no difference.

No doubt if this is taken to court, honda/acura will have a strong defense team. lets just hope they settle for something that is pleasing to us drivers.

why can't they just redesign a freaking new transmission. stupid.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:34 PM
8th Gear

Unfortnately Austin does not accept emails. I don't know how to sign on for the class acrtion suit but I'd like to. I can't tell from the threads how one goes about doing so. I live in Kentucky. If there is a lawyer here filing suit, please let me know.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by gravitysfoe
Unfortnately Austin does not accept emails. I don't know how to sign on for the class acrtion suit but I'd like to. I can't tell from the threads how one goes about doing so. I live in Kentucky. If there is a lawyer here filing suit, please let me know.

Go back to page one and re-read the first post.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:33 AM
Instructor

I second the vote for this being a sticky.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by bigman

problem is it doesnt matter how you drive your car they just fail! i actually think the harder you drive them the longer they last.