Slotted rotors vs. Drilled and Slotted rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 11:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slotted rotors vs. Drilled and Slotted rotors.

I heard from various sources that drilled rotors crack easily due to heat is that true??

Also what is better overall slotted or slotted and drilled......i have an 02 tl.....right now i got some 18inch foose lusso wheels on but will be changing them in a few days to tls-wheels...so i am greatly in need of advice...
Old 11-23-2004, 12:00 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
slotted rotors are more efficient, drilled rotors just look nicer and will be most noticeable at the track.

I say go with Rotora Slotted, many members including myself are very happy with Rotora slotted rotors.

a combination of slotted plus drilled is asking for them to crack, unless you are getting a VERY expensive excellent quality rotors, which is pointless unless you are in Nascar.

Why r u switching rims?
Old 11-23-2004, 12:06 AM
Racer

The drilled and slotted ones tend to crack more easily than the others.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:15 AM
Cruisin'

Do u think Brembo slotted and drilled rotors will crack easily
Old 11-23-2004, 12:24 AM
Race Director

nothing will crack easily.

In my opinion, i would use the drilled and slotted on show cars only.

im sure whatever you'll get will be fine cauz im sure you will not heat up your rotors to red color
Old 11-23-2004, 07:56 AM
2003 SSM TLS

This is a repost from one of my other posts in an earlier thread, but I thought it would help here:

-Here are the rotors I have:
1 set of front and rear Race Concepts Dimple Drilled and Slotted Rotors -Total Cost: ($270)

I heard about Race Concepts' rotors from austin519 on CarDomain, and he had nothing but good to say about them. Considering the rotors they offered for the TL were dimple drilled AND slotted, for only $150, it's something I couldn't pass up.

For those that are reading this and don't know, all rotors are not created equal. They can be dimple drilled, cross drilled, and/or slotted. What these techniques do is give the rotor a way to cool off faster by creating more surface area, and allowing cooling deeper within the metal. Stock rotors would quickly crack when a very high performance (aka high friction coefficient) pad is applied to them because they would heat up too quickly and to too high of a temperature. The slots also "bite" into the pads and create more friction.

Secondly, and this is an effect when using stock pads OR aftermarket pads, you will experience less "brake fade" when using slotted rotors. While braking, hot gases build up between the rotor and brake pad, and much like the "water droplets skipping over a hot skillet" phenomenom, cause the pads to come in less contact with the rotors. By drilling holes through or slotting rotors, you are giving the gas a way to escape.

Now, most people in the car performance market know what cross drilled rotors are, and if you're one of those you may ask "Why are these dimple drilled?". First, dimple drilling is drilling the rotor, but not all the way through. So I have to make a distinction here...some rotors are cast with holes in them, such as the Brembo kits, others are drilled by aftermarket companies from "blanks", or rotors that have no drilled holes or slots cast in them. Unless you want to pay premiums for these cast rotors, then you're going to buy them from a company that does them aftermarket.

What a lot of people have run into, and this is the reason that aftermarket drilling has gotten a bad name, is that aftermarket drilled rotors tend to crack easier. The reason for this is that by drilling through a blank cast rotor, the drilling machine creates stress within the metal, which will lead to it cracking sooner. Race Concepts will do a full cross drill if you ask, but prefers to dimple drill, because dimpling the rotors has near the same cooling efficiency and doesn't create this stress in the rotor.

Hope this info is helpful.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

someone had posted pics of his slotted and drilled rotors.

they were cracked.

i think it was fsssttttyyymms11....
Old 11-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Cruisin'

What the opinion of Brembo cross drilled and slotted rotors...i just picked up some up last nite.....should i keep them???...here goes the link to them

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT
Old 11-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Instructor

those rotors look like they are a pretty good deal.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

get slotted and dimpled rotors, they are prob the best
Old 11-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
here is the lowdown on rotors.

crossdrilled are for cooling the rotor. over time though they do become prone to cracking (usually on cheap ones that were never ment to be drilled) the more holes the more it can cool but the more likely it will crack

slots contrary to what you might think, will actually add heat. the slots are good for degassing and cleaning the heat glazing from the pads. the clots create more friction to clean the pad there by creating more heat.
if at all possible find a rotor that has both slots and is crossdrilled (most are that are slotted for that reason)
Old 11-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Show me da MONEY

I have IROTORS crossdrilled and slotted with Axxis metalmaster pads. I love em, no problems here
Old 11-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Race Director

my 2 cents, stay away from anything AXXIS. too much dust.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:51 PM
Cruisin'

Memphis, this is what I can tell you so far. Retailers purchase the blank Brembo rotors from Brembo, they purchase them in large quantities of approx. 200 rotors, since they are very inexpensive for dealers. Almost $10 - $15 at the most.

From here, the retailers will get a 3rd party to drill into the rotors. Since, this 3rd party doesn't have much knowledge on the drilling, majority of the times they drill the rotors incorrectly. Incorrectly, as in drilling too deep into the rotor or cracking the "veins" of the rotor. Also, the 3rd party doesn't balance the rotors at high speed, so it doesn't cause any vibrations on your vehicle after placing them on.

As for Brembo, they take each blank rotor, do a pre-inspection on it, to make sure that the rotors are good for use. From there, the drill into the rotors on one side, flip it over, and drill again. However, the catch is they don't drill the same patterns as they did on one side as they did with each other. So, each rotor has a different pattern, just like fingerprints.

From here, the rotors are then checked again to make sure on accuracy and nothing is damaged. They balance the rotors on a high speed machine, so everything is safe when you put them onto your vehicle. From here, they box the rotors up and ship them to RETAILERS that have a good reputation and are trustworthy.

This is one of the few reasons, why Brembo rotors can be so expensive at times compared to people that sell them at such a low cost, that do the process incorrectly. I hope it helps.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by teknoking
my 2 cents, stay away from anything AXXIS. too much dust.
i agree axxis suck. go green stuff
Old 11-24-2004, 12:14 AM
Show me da MONEY

I do agree with the brake dust with my Axxis Metal master but they stop on the dime to me. I try and wash my car once a week so it does not build up to bad.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:45 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I have slotted and dimpled rotors...

I drive very hard and they have been perfectly fine...