NOS and Headers questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 10:38 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOS and Headers questions

Hey everyone - I have searched this forum and have gotten some great info, but still have some questions.

I have an 02 TL-S currently with an AEM CAI. I am thinking of putting in a ZEX wet nitrous kit (model 82021 with 55/65/75 jets) and OBX headers (yes, I know they are cheap). I will put in ZEX recommended spark plugs or other colder plugs. I have found a credible mechanic to put these on, although I trust this forum better on specific mods, so my questions are:

1) I know performance mods HP are not cumulative, but it would be safe to say my HP will be more significant. Anyone heard of a tranny going out because too much HP (not warranty issues)? I would not do WOT NOS that often...

2) I assume NOS won't screw up my mass airflow sensor (I understand its called something else), right?

3) ZEX recommends retarding timing 2 deg on a 65 jet and 4 deg on a 75 jet, but my understanding is we can't do this without changing ECU settings. ZEX claims that because of the larger displacement vs 4 cyl cars, I should be OK up to 75. Is this BS?

And to those who say "why do this, its a FWD car, etc" please understand its just something I want to do. Thanks
Old 11-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro

ive been sprayin 75shot on my tl-p forever no problems, no worries. our engines retard themselfs when they sence knocking, its also a wise step to get one step colder plugs. i got denso iridiums one step colder car really moves, it likes to show its pretty rear lights
Old 11-24-2004, 01:41 AM
Banned

sig h zex kit will destroy your car sooner then later

zex kit goes through its own comptuer and is very figidy .. basically a 100 shot has an effect of the 100 shot but really is only 70 shot, but just as damaging.

zex is a cheap alternative but i highly discourage this kit.

nitrous express wet kit with gen x2 upgrade is the best and safest way to go in my opinion.

I was running 75 and 100 at the track and twice a 125 shot with nx gen x2 kit and no after affects, tranny is still normal. everything is great for now.

I would suggest getting your car tuned by a proffessional shop to supplement the timing and fuel issues. This is why I boguht a vafc 2 ... that way I can have a profile for when I spray, a profile for all motor but vaiable vtec engadgement points, and then a stock setting. Makes it a lot safer in my opinion

ALSO GET A WINDOW SWITCH ... you dont want to spray while your car is shifting .. that would not be very good
Old 11-24-2004, 10:50 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't know if joecoool is still on this site, but search for him and ask him about his NOS setup. I have seen it, he has used it numerous times and runs in the mid 13's on a stock TL-S w/ only a CAI...

As far as the headers are concerned, you will notice a significant difference over 4500 rpm's...

My opinion on the tranny: the tranny isn't as strong as it should/could be, and with vastly more hp and regularly driving hard, you are bound to fry it sooner or later as many of us already have. Does this mean it couldn't have happened with a stock car and hard driving, no. Just means it'll probably happen sooner than later...