Sideswiped by Flatbed

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 12:56 PM
Head Wanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sideswiped by Flatbed

We were driving the 15N heading to Las Vegas for the Thanksgiving Holiday. About 3 miles before we hit the exit for the Tanger Outlets, I began passing this flat bed on the #2 lane. I got about halfway before I noticed the truck was drifting in my lane. Suddenly I realized he wasn't drifting, HE WAS CHANGING INTO MY LANE AND DID NOT SEE ME!. Well I slammed on the brakes but unfortunately I get sideswiped by the mofo.

Very fortunately, neither I nor my girlfriend were hurt but it was a scary experience and we were a little rattled. The driver did not even realize he hit me and I had to honk my horn/flash my lights/gesture to him for two miles before he stopped his truck at, ironically, the same exit I was heading for anyway. For a second stroke of (belated) luck, a two witnesses in a third car followed us out and handed me his business card. A pic of the damage is attached. By the way, my TL-S only had 6K miles on it .

Though it sorta put a dent in my vacation plans I drove back to LA and got an estimate from a shop (Marco's in San Gabriel) that was highly recommended. Though the estimate of 4K seemed a little steep, I didn't care since since I wasn't paying for it, I want to the highest level of worksmanship. I'll update this thread when they give me my car in two to three weeks on how good they really are. The best end I could think of after I got a Ford Focus for my rental was to turn that baby around head back to Vegas where we had a blast. Beware of those big rigs/flatbeds out there guys!
Old 11-30-2003, 01:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ouch! I feel your pain man. Hope all works out, and good luck with getting her fixed.

yah I'm always worried too when passing a truck, that's why I usually gunn it past them.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by sc354
ouch! I feel your pain man. Hope all works out, and good luck with getting her fixed.

yah I'm always worried too when passing a truck, that's why I usually gunn it past them.
Just a word of advice....make your presence known b4 you pass if there is any doubt that he does not know your there by honking your horn first and flashing your lights.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:11 PM
USMC Butterbars

Originally posted by NsX Pilot
Just a word of advice....make your presence known b4 you pass if there is any doubt that he does not know your there by honking your horn first and flashing your lights.
that actually might piss the driver off considering they've probably been on the road for some time and are tired and grouchy...u dont wanna provoke these guys with a huge truck
Old 11-30-2003, 02:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

that's why I usually just floor it passed them. From the time I enter into the time I pass them in the lane beside them, it takes a matter of about 1-2 seconds in the TL. You all know at 100 km/h, you can floor it in second gear and fly passed almost anything on the road.

that's what I do!!!
so far never had any close calls with that.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:28 PM
On the way!

I was sideswiped by a local delivery truck in my old car (a '96 Altima). He hit me in my driver's side rear quarter panel. I ended up spinning out on I-95 at 70+ MPH. Luckily I didn't hit anything else and after a 360 degree plus spin I stopped in the grassy median.

I'm glad that you at least got hit in the front portion of your car so you didn't spin. That experience is something I never want to go through again.

You'll be amazed. All of that black rubber will buff out, but the metal damage will need some work.

BTW - when I pass now, I make sure they see me but I floor it now as well. I hate driving next to large trucks.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:47 PM
Pro

I was driving on I-5 before and this moble-home was passing a big rig......but after the moble-home passed the big rig he didnt cut back over for like 2 minutes......so i cut over and try passing him...then that mofo starts cutting back into the lane.....so i floor it and honking.....******* pushed me into the shoulder and almost into the grass......learn from me......if you gonna pass a big rig or anything......go as fast as you can and dont get caught in their blind spots
Old 11-30-2003, 06:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Did the police cite the driver for "inattentive driving" or similar charge? Was his driver's log incorrect (e.g. was he driving more hours than legal and therefore potentially tired)?

My mom always taught me not to screw with vehicles bigger than me, so I floor it when I pass trucks too.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:57 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally posted by CrazyM0nkey
I was driving on I-5 before and this moble-home was passing a big rig......but after the moble-home passed the big rig he didnt cut back over for like 2 minutes......so i cut over and try passing him...then that mofo starts cutting back into the lane.....so i floor it and honking.....******* pushed me into the shoulder and almost into the grass......learn from me......if you gonna pass a big rig or anything......go as fast as you can and dont get caught in their blind spots

i used to drive trucks with flatbeds (B-Train and reg. 4 axles) and i can tell you this: you have to drive for everyone around you... try driving with 45 or 53' behind you. there are blind spots, and when you pass another vehicle, you have to estimate if the back-end of the trailer will clear the vehicle u just passed, and that's not always easy. a lot of people say truckers are dumb and dont know how to drive or this or that.. (about 35% are really) but the other 65% knows how to drive and a lot of accidents happen because of other drivers (car drivers) because they dont think about the fact that you have to take a lot of space to make a wide turn and they try passing you... or **** like that.

so here are my advices:

1. when passing, flash your high beams once or twice; the driver will see the lights in his mirrors.

2. when a truck passes you, flash your high beams to tell him he can get back in his lane.

3. pay attention to blind spots and avoid them

and if it's really cuz they dont know how to drive, ****ing yell at them and flip them off. that's what i used to do, it makes you feel better

@cUr@-TL
Old 11-30-2003, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Be very careful around BIG vehicles

Be cautious around big vehicles. If you can't see their mirrors, they can't see you. Drivers of some large vehicles like buses and trucks rely only on mirrors to know what surrounds them, so the onus is on YOU, the driver of a smaller vehicle to stay well clear of the large truck. Gunning the car and using your HPs to go past him is a very dangerous idea. You are going to try to overtake the truck which already had taken part of the lane. I am almost certain that if he takes his lane and you end up in his blind spot, then there is nowhere for you to end up but the guardrail, the shoulder or even underneath the truck.

Pretend that there is a "force field" around these big vehicles and you don't want to be anywhere touching this. Remember that he is more that ten times heavier than your car and his reaction time is much, much slower. By the time the driver realizes that you were trying to pass him, it may be too late.

It will only cost you a few seconds to let him pass ahead of you before you make your move. These precious few seconds may mean the continuation of your trip safely or the other way around.

The idea is to share the road with other vehicles and sharing it means understanding that these vehicles maneuver differently than our cars. They don't stop on a dime and they don't turn sharp. We prove nothing to anybody if we risk an accident that can hurt us or other motorists.

I drive buses for the TTC on a daily basis, so I know what motorists out there do and I'd say 90% of them out there don't realize how unsafe they drive until it's too late.

I am sorry about your car, and I hope that it can be fixed back to its old state. But I'm very glad to know that everyone walked away from it alive.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Wow, sorry to see such a sight.

I don't think mirrors are supposed to bend in that direction.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
man that sucks. i once repaired a car the whole door skin was practially ripped off by the lugnuts on a semi.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:13 PM
Head Wanker

Thanks for all the kind words and advice.

When we headed to Vegas the second time in the Ford Focus rental, you better believe I was flooring that little car everytime we passed a big rig. Each time I did it, I was holding my breath. Like someone mentioned, after a while I wasn't sure it was 100% safe zooming by big rigs that fast, just the lesser of two evils. Next time I think I'll just flash my headlights a bit each time, even though there are like 100s of trucks that pass by there (gotta keep those shrimp cocktails coming in) and be more aware.

I guess after all it was just an accident/bad luck/fluke. The funny thing is that part of the highway the accident was on was called the "Safety Corridor". Well, safe driving to all and to all a good night.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:16 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Semi moved into my lane from the right, slammed on the brakes, realized I wouldn't clear the semi's tail, so instead of getting run over by the rear tires, I decided to hit the Ranger to my left... rubbed against the rear passenger side quarter panel and the tire.. That wasn't pretty, and I know what it must've been like.

By the way, 4,000 sounds about right, really. Mine was 1,500 to replace headlight, do an alignment, repaint bumper, and replace quarter panel.

Yours, they will probably have the replace the door panel, replace quarter panel, repaint front bumper, replace wheel, do an alignment, and if I'm seeing it right, fix the rear door, too? Maybe it's a speckle in the picture, but it looks the rear door has sustained some damage, too?

Either way, good luck with the repairs. Mine took about 3 days, so yours should like a week or something.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:36 AM
Racer

seems like silver isn't a very good color...we get unnoticed
Old 12-01-2003, 07:06 AM
Banned

Damn, it looks like he really got you good!
At least you have witnesses and that'll help if there is any hassle with him or insurance down the line......and most importantly, NO ONE WAS HURT!
Old 12-15-2003, 10:38 PM
Head Wanker

I'm back baby

Picked up my car last Friday and have to say it is back to looking SWEET! Both I and my girlfriend examined the worksmanship for any defect to ***** about and have to say we had zero complaints about that. Actually, it was looking better than when I picked it up the first day because they actually polished and waxed it for me (made sure they had waited until paint was properly cured though)! Coincidentally when we were doing the walkaround inspection, someone was picking up their 2003 ABP TL-S and they parked us side by side. A pair of beauties if I ever saw them.

Here's a summary:

Auto Shop: Marco's Auto Body (San Gabriel, CA)
Total Price Tag: $4,334
Days Out of Commission: 19 (Thanksgiving break thrown in)
Rental Car: Ford Focus
Rental Price Tag: $520
Miles Put on Rental and Not on My TL-S: 1,550 (including a short jaunt to Vegas)

All that's left is to get reimbursed for deductible from other guy's insurance and get my first oil change which will then bring me to:

Total Cost to Me: $0 ($500 for deductible right now)
Cost of Oil Change: $29.99 + Mobil 1 Syn + Mobil 1 Filter

Pics below.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:39 PM
Head Wanker

Before And After

My rims and side mirror...
Old 12-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Head Wanker

Closeup Before....

Closeup Before...
Old 12-15-2003, 10:44 PM
Head Wanker

Closeup After...

Closeup After...
Old 12-16-2003, 06:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Lookin' good! Welcome back, and enjoy your car! Did the cops ever cite the truck driver who sideswiped you?
Old 12-16-2003, 06:32 AM
Banned

Looking good.
I'm still waiting on my car, but in no rush b/c I have a Rover rental :P
Old 12-16-2003, 06:52 AM
MRI_Guru

Looking at the pictures in this thread made my head hurt. It is sad to see such a great car looking so...un-great! My deepest regrets go out.

Sergeant C.J.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:46 AM
Rock Star

glad 2 see her up and runnin again looks good........ good luck out there peace