Should i trade in 2001 Acura 3.2 non navi for the 2002 Acura 3.2 TLS nav?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2001, 02:52 PM

Post Should i trade in 2001 Acura 3.2 non navi for the 2002 Acura 3.2 TLS nav?

Hello everyone, I am new here. I read many posts AFTER I bought my 2001 Acura 3.2TL and regretted not getting the NAV system. I bought it in February for 27k in NY and currently have 2000 miles on the car. I like to know if I should trade it in now or later, or wait for the new model, and what the average trade in price would be like. I knew about the Type S coming out but didn't know it was coming out this fast! thought it was at the end of this year, plus my sister got into an accident in our Rodeo the front is totally messed up, it is in the shops for almost 2 months now! At the same time I resigned from my old job and accepted a new one which requires me to drive on a daily basis, so i bought the Acura because it was fully loaded for a great price. If i had got the NAV in the beginning, i would not trade it in, but after i got lost a couple times in the city, I really want the NAV, with all the upgraded features the new car has. Since I will be keeping this car for a good 5+ years, i don't mind paying the penalty. Yes, I know i am a idiot and a sucker for doing this, but please give me some advice here. I really appreciate all your help in advance
Old 03-30-2001, 03:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd stick w/ your current car. Why take the hit for some new features? You have a solid car now that runs great -- enjoy it. Wait a bit and see what the 2003/2004 Acura line-up will have -- maybe this mysterious 300hp 4-wheel drive TL-S we've been projecting! <yeah right>

Stick with your car --
Old 03-30-2001, 03:17 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hae a simular situation, I got it w/o Nav and now I do as well. You may find yourself regretting it in the long run or when something else you may really want comes out. Like a rumored new 3.5 300+ HP Type-S.

But since your car is relativly new, you may be able to get away with it and only lose about $2K or so. But now you are going to spend another $5K for Nav and Type-S. It depends on if you can get a cool dealer... but since most dealers are trying to clear out their 2001 inventory, it may be a challange for you.

But the alternative is buy a Thomas Guide and live with it..

If you really want to do it, i say go for it
Good Luck

------------------
"Knowledge is potential, Action is power."
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/phanthavong/mytl.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Edub-TL on March 30, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-30-2001, 04:56 PM

Agree with the above. Don't take the hit. Get a Thomas Guide and wait for the '03 or '04.
Old 03-30-2001, 05:11 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm predicting a major redesign in probably 2-3 years. Minor changes could come as early as next year. I bet next year there would be a few changes to the NAV.
voice command?
on star?
DVD movie player?
trip computer?
But again, there may be no change.......depends on what happens with the new ES300.
Maybe they would finally use better painting process.

How about the S2000 based RWD coupe and seden with 6MT?
Any chance to see those in the next 2 years?

If the coupe version would start at 25k, I may get one as a beater. But again, it might never go into production.

The bottomline is, enjoy your car.
Keep it for as long as you can tolerate the current car. Your fate may keep the two of you together long enough for something real nice to show up in production.

Old 03-30-2001, 05:31 PM
Pro

Question

What the heck is a Thomas Guide? An equivalent to a KBB?
Old 03-30-2001, 05:46 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Arrow

Tough decision. If it were a year old or so, it may be a easy decision, but the dealers are now discounting the 01's to get rid of them, and w/o the NAV, it would be hard to find someone to buy yours when they could get a new one for a few bills more.

The NAVI is nice, and extremely useful, but even I would probably wait a year and then go for an '03. It's such a bummer when you get obsoleted right after you buy.

On the plus side, you have one hell of a nice car already!

:-jon

Old 03-30-2001, 05:50 PM

Right now with people driving off dealer's lots with brand new 01TLs for 26-26.5K you will sell it around 23-24K if you find a buyer (I doubt dealer will give as much, even though it's a possibility). Then you have to add about 10K to get TL-S with Navi. Is it really worth it - IMHO not at this point - unless you have a lot of dough - but then you would probably be driving an M5.
Old 03-30-2001, 07:05 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by LegendCpeGS:
What the heck is a Thomas Guide? An equivalent to a KBB?
LOL! Thomas Guide is the old school Nav system. ---> Big book map of a certain area.

------------------
"Knowledge is potential, Action is power."
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/phanthavong/mytl.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
Old 03-30-2001, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Go check out what dealer will give you because if you are buying TLS at MSRP they make $ there. The alternative is to wait when TLS is $1k above invoice (I expect end of this year for the early rush to die down).
You can try the PocketPC GPS solution which costs $1k.
Old 03-31-2001, 08:23 PM

Thanks for everyone's advice. I decided to wait and hold back on the trade in. The max I can get is probably 24k, and the dealer is not willing to negotiate for the tl-s since they just got it this week. I'll wait for the new re-design and you bet I'm gonna get the NAV this time! Thanks again.

------------------
Old 04-01-2001, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Good decision on not trading it in for the 2002 TL-S. I believe that the only way you would not lose money on your current TL-S, is to trade it for a different manufacturer, such as Lexus. However, you will definitely lose money if you were to trade it in for a TL-S.
Old 04-02-2001, 09:45 PM
Racer

I just traded in my 2002 TL for a TLS.

Yeah I took a hit on the trade but I HAD to have the TLS after test driving it. The TLS is a MUCH better car, a different beast altogether. With the 260 hp engine, sport tuned suspension, VSA, bigger tyres its easy to see why it drives so much better than the base 3.2 TL. Another big plus for the TLS were the sport leather seats (the ones in the 3.2 TL are really sloppy) and the metallic gauges.

I guess the question here is are you willing to take the hit for a much better car, and perhaps more importantly that ever elusive peace of mind ?
Old 04-03-2001, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by 1000bpm:
I just traded in my 2002 TL for a TLS.

Yeah I took a hit on the trade but I HAD to have the TLS after test driving it. The TLS is a MUCH better car, a different beast altogether. With the 260 hp engine, sport tuned suspension, VSA, bigger tyres its easy to see why it drives so much better than the base 3.2 TL. Another big plus for the TLS were the sport leather seats (the ones in the 3.2 TL are really sloppy) and the metallic gauges.

I guess the question here is are you willing to take the hit for a much better car, and perhaps more importantly that ever elusive peace of mind ?
hello, can you give me the details re: your trade in? I thought i was crazy enough to even suggest trading my new 2001 tl for the tl-s but apparently you have more guts then me! If i do trade in now, its gonna be an extra 13k now. I can't justify the difference, but the wind noise is driving me nuts, and i can feel every lil bump on the road, which reminds me of my SUV(i hate that POS!)

Old 04-03-2001, 11:38 PM
Racer

I paid a difference of $5500. Keep in mind that the Anthracite Grey I traded in was in as-new condition and had 600 miles on it. This color is in heavy demand and it was an end of the month deal.

Your dealer's killing you on the trade in value. The 13k difference that you quoted is defintely excessive, in my opinion. I would not pay that kind of money to upgrade to the TLS. I would think that you should be able to get 22-23K for your trade in.