Shifter lights??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shifter lights??

I'm not sure the name of that area, 'shift gate,' but it the Park through drives. Aren't they supposed to light up ewith the lights on? If so, What kind of bulbs are they and how to I replace them?

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Figured it out thanks.

i just changed that exact bulb and you don't have to remove the entire centre console, all you have to do is first tomake things easier is to remove the shifter knob, it just unscrews now its tight so you'll have to work at it but it does come off, second take a thin flat head screw driver and remove the trim piece that surrounds the gray piece on top of the shift gate numbers, third using the same screw driver carefully pry the gray piece from all sides and it will lift straight up exposing the shift gate numbers, next carefully pull the numbers off the shift gate ( it's glued down but the will lift off with some careful force) once that is done you'll see the bulb, I'm not sure of the bulb part # but it's a small peanut type that just plugs in. i just did the LED conversion for my dash and have 4 or 5 of these bulbs left over you can probably go to an acura dealership or local parts shop. hope this helps and good luck.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:03 PM
'02blAcuRAT!! soooCool!!

I didn't know the shift gate numbers were supposed to light up.
Fun car.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Yup supposed to light up. Congrats on the self fix!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Instructor

NO that was not me, I actually used the SEARCH function and found this from a user!!!!

I am not taking credit for this!!

But ya I did find it myself!
Old 12-09-2005, 04:40 PM
Instructor

i didnt know that also.... The P R N D etqc.. lights up in the shift gate...
Old 12-10-2005, 01:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait a sec If you just did an LED conversion, then you should be replacing the illumination in the shifter with LEDs as well.

I've done the whole car. You will need to mod under the shift plate because there needs to be at least 3 5mm LEDs in there to light up the whole indicator. If you just replace the single bulb with one LED it wont light up enough. LEDs are directional (think 'spot light') as compared to a bulb (think 'flood light'). Even so, the result depends on whether you use blue or white LEDs. The indicator Park and D1 areas have red overlays that will pretty much filter out the blue LED light. For an idea job, use 3 blue LEDs and then 2 white LEDs, mounting the white ones under the Park and D1 areas. Use 470 ohm resistors. It looks great when you are all finished.

Originally Posted by MY2002TLS
Figured it out thanks.

i just changed that exact bulb and you don't have to remove the entire centre console, all you have to do is first tomake things easier is to remove the shifter knob, it just unscrews now its tight so you'll have to work at it but it does come off, second take a thin flat head screw driver and remove the trim piece that surrounds the gray piece on top of the shift gate numbers, third using the same screw driver carefully pry the gray piece from all sides and it will lift straight up exposing the shift gate numbers, next carefully pull the numbers off the shift gate ( it's glued down but the will lift off with some careful force) once that is done you'll see the bulb, I'm not sure of the bulb part # but it's a small peanut type that just plugs in. i just did the LED conversion for my dash and have 4 or 5 of these bulbs left over you can probably go to an acura dealership or local parts shop. hope this helps and good luck.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 2002AcuraTL
Wait a sec If you just did an LED conversion, then you should be replacing the illumination in the shifter with LEDs as well.

I've done the whole car. You will need to mod under the shift plate because there needs to be at least 3 5mm LEDs in there to light up the whole indicator. If you just replace the single bulb with one LED it wont light up enough. LEDs are directional (think 'spot light') as compared to a bulb (think 'flood light'). Even so, the result depends on whether you use blue or white LEDs. The indicator Park and D1 areas have red overlays that will pretty much filter out the blue LED light. For an idea job, use 3 blue LEDs and then 2 white LEDs, mounting the white ones under the Park and D1 areas. Use 470 ohm resistors. It looks great when you are all finished.
If you ever look at LED's they are in DEG also. the wider the better.