seafoamed the 'ol TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 02:31 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a 2000 TL with 35k do you think im going to notice a difference if i were to seafoam
Old 06-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Kilos of yayo in

I would say probably not. Would not hurt but as mentioned earlier I would do it when you plan to change the spark plugs. I used some seafoam on a friends 86 civic with 210k miles on it and the spark plugs were covered in brown goop. The stuff burns off after running the car a bit. But the reason we did it was because his car did not pass smog. Went back after doing the seafoam and swapping spark plugs and it passed! I would say its more for high mileage and or older engines.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Billy Sacco
I would say probably not. Would not hurt but as mentioned earlier I would do it when you plan to change the spark plugs. I used some seafoam on a friends 86 civic with 210k miles on it and the spark plugs were covered in brown goop. The stuff burns off after running the car a bit. But the reason we did it was because his car did not pass smog. Went back after doing the seafoam and swapping spark plugs and it passed! I would say its more for high mileage and or older engines.
ya my plugs just got replaced. but then again i have access to a spark plug cleaner. but at the price of those plugs ill wait.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just seafoamed my car tonight with my friend.
Wow...i can def feel the difference, the car pulls slightly harder, just feels all around more strong.

When the can said to do it in a well ventilated place...it wasn't kidding, i sprayed the white dusty smoke all over the pavement of his shop, looks like a crack head dropped his stash. hahaha

For my fellow Canadian, Torontonians, Part Source sells this stuff for $9.99 a can.

regards,
Old 06-22-2006, 12:04 AM
Pro

do you guys think they sell it at kragens or autozone?
Old 06-22-2006, 07:20 AM
Kilos of yayo in

Autozone by my house is where I got it.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Pro

alright thanks ill try it today hope everything goes well.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Kilos of yayo in

Yeah man and try to be nice and do it in an open field away from other cars . When I did it in my parking lot I left a scummy residue on the cars by me.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Exclamation Seafoam Is The Bomb!!!

HOLY SMOKE!!! and i mean literally! me and a bud just put 4 cans of this stuff in my 98 accord that has 133,000 miles on it, and it was the there was thick white smoke spewing out of the exhaust like somebody cracked a 1/2 dozen smoke grenades!!! first we sucked up the directed amount into the pcv valve and i couldn't see the houses on my street as we gassed it!!! then we poured the directed amount into the crank case, and fuel tank. it was spewing like old faithful!!! i drove it around the hood a few times with thick white smoke still belching out the exhaust!!! i was like, damn... this puppy needs another dose! so we sucked another almost full can into the pcv valve and it kept on coming!!! i finally took it out on the road to get her up into the 70 mph range, and after a few minutes she was all clear! i definitely felt a difference in throttle response and overall excellent engine response w/ the headers and cai! then i let her idle for about 10 minutes in the driveway. this stuff works great!!! i just had a change recently with royal purp, so i'm not sure if i should change the oil again, but after what i saw i think it would be wise... all i can say is when i do the TL, i'll take some pics, because it looked like an NHRA car was burning out in my driveway!!! though the TL is babied and has about 17,500 vs. 133,000 miles. i doubt she will kick out the funk the honda did! SEAFOAM!!!
Old 06-24-2006, 07:32 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if your TL has only 17.5k you won't get much smoke. BTW you didn't need to use 2 full cans of seafoam on your accord that was most likely overkill. you will need to change those plugs soon now too if you saw that much funk coming out. change your oil in 500 miles as directed also.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Advanced

correct me if i am wrong but this is an easy way for a n00b to hydro ock an engine. I know this is good practice as the DSM community does it but i have always had cold feet trying it out.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Faux Baller

i got a 2000 and i just hit 98k yesterday, i gotta get my oil changed within the next 1000 miles, is this a good time to seafoam? thanks!
Old 06-27-2006, 11:15 PM

wait a few hundred miles then do it.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Advanced

Man, I seamfoam'd the TLS (75k) today. I didn't get nothing out of the pipes . . . not even a whiff of smoke. Is it possible my engine is really that clean?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Fallen

So this is what I saw on the road..
One day I was on the road and guess what I saw..
A huge cloude of smoke on the road.. The road was jammed so i was stuck right beside the car.
New 06 Civic which was behind the car wouldnt get closer to the "smoking" car for less than 10 m.
I thought to my self 'hey its time for you to get a new car dude'

Maybe it was just because he put something foul in his gas tank?
Maybe his engine was singing a death song..
Maybe it was Seafoam.. Never know.
Just thought of sharing.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm Cool

my friend bought a used sc400 with like 180K miles on it. He seafoamed the sc and filled his street with black smoke, lol not jsut white, but pitch black. he couldn't even see my hids from his rear view mirror. But yeah it does work, highly reccomend it.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Drifting

ok after reading all this, I said, "Lets, "Get er Done". Went up to Shucks bought 2 cans, for $6.99 Ea. One for my car & one for the wifes. So i put 1/2 can in my tank & about a half can in my oil crank case. Had to do some runs B4 i did the intake. Shit can't believe, haven't even done the intake yet & its a very noticable difference. She Screams like a banchee. I was having a slight problem with rough idle when @ stop lights ect., that has disappeared. Can hardly wait to do the intake, which i'm going to do right know. Sorry using the wifes can. What she doesn't know won't hurt me. I'll do hers this weekend. Thanks for the great info guys!!!
Old 10-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Banned

I'm pushing close to 190k soon.. I'm definitely due for some servicing. lol Sucks though that I got new Iridium spark plugs over the summer...
Old 10-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Drifting

ok just did the intake per the pics above, (tnx by the way great pics). my 2003tls with 69k on her put out a huge plume of white smoke, glad no neighbors were around. They might have called the fire dept. . Was going to take some pics for your viewing, but the damn batterys in my camera were dead. If ya'll want i'll take some pics of my wifes 2000tl, when i do it this week end. Hers has 63k on her. Anyone know what exactley the white smoke is? is it the product itself or is that the gunk in the intake system. Pretty fuckin amazing. I highly recommend this for all. Very easy to do. I can't ever remember my car running this smooth & like its on steroids. Man she's quick!! Thx again for the great info, you guys are great. You'll be very happy with your $14.00 investment. p.s. put the remainder of the seafoam in my tank, since the tank was 3/4 full.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by seattle dale
She Screams like a banchee.
How many hp do you figure Seafoam added?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MikePA
How many hp do you figure Seafoam added?
Why are you such a smart ass, always startin shit. No hp added just a lot more responsive & no pinging anymore, which i got from time to time. like to know what your fuckin problem is with me, always got some smart ass statement for me. did i offend you @ some time, if i did i apologize right now!
Old 10-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Without a garage

I think stRodda and I will be doing this on Saturday. My car doesn't have any hesitation or bad idle, but the gas mileage blows. Same on his car. I have 63K as well.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
^ I'm not sure what's going on between seattle dale and MikePA -- however, please keep the discussion thread on-topic without harrassing anyone. In other words ... be nice.

Going back on-topic ... my car has cracked 115,000km (~72,000 miles) but I won't do the Seafoam until closer to 100,000 miles (before the spark plugs are changed). I wonder how much smoother the idle will be or how quicker the performance will feel? I've been good with using premium only ... going over to Detroit from time to time to use 93 octane (vs 91 here in Ontario). Also use the STP fuel treatment once a year before a major service ...
Old 10-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Banned

Screw this.. i'm doing this today. After all of the testimonials, I don't see why not go ahead and seafoam the car. I'll just have to change the spark plugs again sometime just over a week from now.

By any chance, what's a good tool to use to grapple the plugs anyway? They're pretty hard to get to when you try to grab on to them to pull them out of those small openings when changing them. Took me 1.5 hours with tweezers one time.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Drifting

Sorry Derrick, I do not know what his problem is with me is but theres always been one. I try to get along with all & am nice. oh well enough said. Went i talked to a very knowedgable guy @ shucks, he told me he's used it many times & never had a problem with the plugs. If i do have a plug problem it will be very noticeable. So if i need to change them i will. But according to this guy, there is no need. Like i said earlier in the thread, my idle is very much smoother, i couldn't believe the difference. There is also a very noticeable difference in performance IMO
Old 10-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Drifting

Why are you such a smart ass, always startin shit. No hp added just a lot more responsive & no pinging anymore, which i got from time to time. like to know what your fuckin problem is with me, always got some smart ass statement for me. did i offend you @ some time, if i did i apologize right now!
Act your age.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Drifting

I dont' have a problem with you, but what you report. People make fun of something like the Tornado, i.e., it's junk, don't believe the hype, don't waste your money, etc., yet after using Seafoam you report;

Pretty fuckin amazing.
I can't ever remember my car running this smooth
... like its on steroids.
Man she's quick!!

Is Seafoam a good product? Yes, but it doesn't work miracles.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by derrick
^ I'm not sure what's going on between seattle dale and MikePA -- however, please keep the discussion thread on-topic without harrassing anyone. In other words ... be nice.

Going back on-topic ... my car has cracked 115,000km (~72,000 miles) but I won't do the Seafoam until closer to 100,000 miles (before the spark plugs are changed). I wonder how much smoother the idle will be or how quicker the performance will feel? I've been good with using premium only ... going over to Detroit from time to time to use 93 octane (vs 91 here in Ontario). Also use the STP fuel treatment once a year before a major service ...
Honestly Derrick, i dont think you would need to change your plugs afterwards. Ive done it a few times on the Tl (with teh old motor) and never changed the plugs on it afterwards. I just ran it thru the New (32k miles) motor to help clean it out as much as possible (never knew what the old owner did or how they drove) and still have the same plugs in. I noticed a smoother idle/somewhat quieer engine afterwards.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Honestly Derrick, i dont think you would need to change your plugs afterwards. Ive done it a few times on the Tl (with teh old motor) and never changed the plugs on it afterwards. I just ran it thru the New (32k miles) motor to help clean it out as much as possible (never knew what the old owner did or how they drove) and still have the same plugs in. I noticed a smoother idle/somewhat quieer engine afterwards.
What about when it is added to the crank case? Do you have to change your oil pretty soon after? I would think you would want it in there for a while to clean everything out but the instructions don't specify.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by BillySacco
What about when it is added to the crank case? Do you have to change your oil pretty soon after? I would think you would want it in there for a while to clean everything out but the instructions don't specify.
I personally put a whole can in it and let the car idle for 5 min so as it could make its way thru the whole engine. then i drained the oil. I wouldnt go driving around much.(but i dont think it would hurt it to drive to a oil change place with 1 can in it. I just wouldnt leave it in for a few weeks
Old 10-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Advanced

So, is the general consensus that you should do an oil change within a few days of using Seafoam in the crankcase?

What about in the gas tank - should you have a near full tank before doing so or closer to empty? Or does it matter? Do you add it while the car is idling? Planning on doing mine this weekend.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bkana
So, is the general consensus that you should do an oil change within a few days of using Seafoam in the crankcase?

What about in the gas tank - should you have a near full tank before doing so or closer to empty? Or does it matter? Do you add it while the car is idling? Planning on doing mine this weekend.
There are instructions on the can and here
Old 10-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MikePA
I dont' have a problem with you, but what you report. People make fun of something like the Tornado, i.e., it's junk, don't believe the hype, don't waste your money, etc., yet after using Seafoam you report;

Pretty fuckin amazing.
I can't ever remember my car running this smooth
... like its on steroids.
Man she's quick!!

Is Seafoam a good product? Yes, but it doesn't work miracles.

Well mabe my shit was really dirty, I experienced a huge difference after using the product. Mabe i'm a little excited & may be exagerating to some extent or mabe using the wrong adjectives but i'm just trying to convey my pleasure. You did this same shit when it came to my unichip, tellin me i was full of shit basicaly. i even backed up my statements with my dynos. Besides that i didn't say it worked miracles, i just noticed a huge difference.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Drifting

After i did my car this afternoon, i did the wifes, hers was pretty dirty too. heres some pics of hers.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Drifting

Old 10-20-2006, 07:46 AM
Kilos of yayo in

nice . I am going to do it on my TL-S soon. I know this stuffed helped my old 96 ranger. The car just sat for a long time and was driving like crap. I think this stuffed helped it out alot, had alot more power and responsiveness after running it.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Wow! I think I might just invest in this product
Old 10-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
its a cheap investment and well worth it.. i have introduced many family and friends to it.. and they are just amazed...
Old 10-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by bkana

I would only use the seafoam in the oil, or run it through a tank of gas gas before an oil change. Some use injector cleaners, etc when they do an oil change, but ideally, you should do it before one. That way byproducts of the cleaning process, and the product itself that end up in your oil are removed along with the dirty old oil.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
I would only use the seafoam in the oil, or run it through a tank of gas gas before an oil change. Some use injector cleaners, etc when they do an oil change, but ideally, you should do it before one. That way byproducts of the cleaning process, and the product itself that end up in your oil are removed along with the dirty old oil.

mr. hyde, curious as to why you would not use it through the vacuum lines for intake cleaning? Have there been some bad results from members doing that? And what milage would be too much b4 doing an oil change? Thanks man

Quick Reply: seafoamed the 'ol TL