RSX (i hate to ask this)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 04:19 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RSX (i hate to ask this)

would a stock RSX TypeS take my stock TL-S?
Old 03-27-2003, 05:08 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
From 0-60, the RSX Type S when driven properly (you need to have a good launch) will be roughly the same as a CL/TL Type S automatic.

From 60-100, the RSX Type S will continually lose ground to a CL/TL Type S automatic.

I believe the RSX-S is speed governed to ~130mph?

So after 130, the CL/TL-S would keep going to ~150mph.

The RSX-S is a fast little car... Don't underestimate it!
Old 03-27-2003, 05:18 PM
Instructor

I told the person that I would race them in a few weeks. I should have the CAI installed by then.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:30 PM
Liquid Ice

Does he have any mods?

If you're running a 1/4 mile, you should beat them as long as you get a decent launch (not too hard to do in an automatic)
Old 03-27-2003, 05:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Guys...

Agreed w/ TL-S = RSX-S up to 60 .. RSX-S sloooowly loses ground after that...

Our TL-S's are sometimes more bark than bite... sounds like it's accelerating a lot faster than it really is... the fight of the steering wheel w/ the torque-steer also gives the false impression that there is more aggressive acceleration occuring than actually is.

Buuuut... RSX-S should be no problem, nor should a professionally driven TSX ....

However, in the realm of reality ... the two vehicles are too close in terms of straight-line performance to GUARANTEE the TL-S a victory each time... I'd go 3:1 odds w/ the TL-S... too many uncertainties when matching up manual w/ auto ... lighter body vs. heavier one...
Old 03-27-2003, 05:52 PM
Instructor

The RSX should be stock....

I will let you all know what if any outcome there is.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:53 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by PeterUbers
However, in the realm of reality ... the two vehicles are too close in terms of straight-line performance to GUARANTEE the TL-S a victory each time... I'd go 3:1 odds w/ the TL-S... too many uncertainties when matching up manual w/ auto ... lighter body vs. heavier one...
So true...BUT...once you start adding bodies to both cars, then the one with the higher HP/Torque will win by even more. They may be even with just the driver in each car...but what if each car had 4 people in it?

So if you want to have an even greater advantage, ask him to race with all your friends in both cars. LOL
Old 03-28-2003, 08:06 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Moral of the story is don't eat before you race, leave your Lugz at home and get some flip-flops from your girlfirend's nail place and only wear boxers. You should save enough weight to win!

Just kidding. Unless you have an 800lb clubbed right foot, you'll win!
Old 03-28-2003, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
When we had the Acura meet at Englishtown last November, it was mostly TL's, CL's and RSX's. Keep in mind it was only the 1/8th mile b/c of the wind.

I lost to one RSX-S that had an intake and exhaust (same as me) by a tenth of a second or so... it was very close.

I beat another RSX-S that had just an intake.

And I smoked an RSX automatic.

Bottom line... don't underestimate them.. especially if it's manual with a good driver.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:23 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JB, I think if it had been a 1/4 rather than a 1/8 you would have started to reel in the RSX-S with I/E. Those cars are definitely quick though!
Old 03-28-2003, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally posted by ferizzo
JB, I think if it had been a 1/4 rather than a 1/8 you would have started to reel in the RSX-S with I/E. Those cars are definitely quick though!
I agree.. but up to about 70mph.. they're quick for sure!!
Old 04-01-2003, 12:12 PM
lover and fighter

I almost threw up Sunday night!
I was sitting at a light and a black RSX pulled up next to me and it looked stock as the day is long...He looked over and gunned his engine.
It is an area noted for cops, so I left my VSA on an planned to just pull out fairly strong but not get all over it. The light turned green and I saw freakin' smoke as he left me sitting still...He had me by three car lengths until we braked and stopped for the next light...I was absolutely dumbfounded (and remembering this post and what I said earlier) as he sat there grinning...
I turned off the VSA and the a/c and the light turned green and we both got on it...He left equal smoke and shot a car length ahead as I spun pretty freaking hard myself (my tires have only 3,000 miles on them!). By 65 I caught him and by 85 I began to pull away slightly...
We stopped again at the next light, and when it turned green I gave firm gas, but didn't floor it with the VSA off, and we pulled out neck and neck with him spinning...By 50 I began to pull, and as this light was the last in a series, I didn't back off until 110mph when I was about 3 car lengths ahead...
We drove a little ways and back into civilization we pulled into a parking lot. The little s/o/b had a debadged type S with a supercharger, headers and an intake...He also slapped 245/40/17 Coopers on his stock wheels for better grip...
He was a little miffed at the last run, but he had me when he got the hole each time and I bet would have done better if he hadn't launched at such a high rpm range...
The car was a nice sleeper as it had no badges, stickers, tint--nothing. I really didn't hear the s/c when he rev'd at the beginning of this nonsense. He said he has an exhaust, engine management and pulleys on the way. I'll be watching out for this guy again and have a newfound respect for the RSX--welp, at least one with an s/c!
Old 04-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

sooooo... you confirm: the TL-S with I/H can whoop an RSX-S with a supercharger and more... I would say stock for stock the TL-S comes up on top....
Old 04-01-2003, 01:01 PM
lover and fighter

I wouldn't confirm that at all...Our little junket could have easily been in the loss column for me...
I think overall to 110mph the TL-S with my mods will be ahead of the RSX with the mods noted above. It would be very, very close if he got a perfect launch and even moreso with the additional mods he was intending on getting and I very well might lose then. Notice is took me three runs to get my launch down and I was still flapped up from being wasted the first time...I was surprised that he didn't have as much high end pull (as I thought he would have had after seeing the s/c under the hood), then again, I swear that above 4k rpm in my car, in second and third, is absolutely wicked since it has been modded. I would further say that at 40 or 50 mph, if he snuck up and wanted to run, I probably could have walked him to 120mph without fail...

Stock vs. stock is still no contest in my book...
Old 04-01-2003, 01:16 PM
2002 TL Type S

Regarding the s/c RSX Type S. Doesn't sound like it's very fast. I'm sure the guy paid $5K or something crazy for that blower and a TL-S still beat him. Kinda like an S2000. Supercharging does nothing for a high compression Honda engine that already squeezes out every last HP.

Don't waste your money supercharging a V-TEC ...get a V-8. You can get a blower for $2,600 and you'll be pushing 350-400HP depending on the motor.
K&N Filter
Kenny Brown Subframes
Eibach Pro Springs
Steeda Camber Plates
Baumann Shift Kit
3:73 Motorsport Gears
ADS Computer Chip
Motorsport Pulleys
1.5" Mach I Ram Air Hood
Flowmaster 2.5" Exhaust

Old 04-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Liquid Ice

S/C'ing may not do too much for the RSX Type S, but if you have enough mods and do it right, the RSX Type S is a beast. There was a guy running 14.0-14.2s at E-Town on Saturday (3/29) when there was a STRONG headwind against us. Scooter with Comptech headers/springs/sways, and a Xephyr CAI was only pulling 14.75-14.85s that day ...

This RSX Type S did not have NOS, and it didn't have any kindof forced induction ...

People were estimating as much as 0.5 seconds off the 1/4 mile with better weather (it was 65 and 100% humidity), and no headwind ... So we're talking a 13.5-13.7 with his mods.

Needless to say, I was IMPRESSED!

If you don't believe me, head over to ClubRSX.com and check out the E-Town thread Link

Or download the video, the guy pulls a 14.13 out on the very last run in this video: Link

I'm not sure what kindof mods he has, but I'm sure someone from ClubRSX could enlighten us.

Anyways, watch out for those RSX Type S's!
Old 04-01-2003, 06:20 PM
lover and fighter

While neither the RSX-S or TL-S is a monster, under 14.5 is pretty quick with what you get. If you think about it, the guy probably has about $31k in his car and he just about had me until higher speeds. I bet with some weight loss (come to think of it I just filled up w/ 16 gallons) coming from an exhaust, pulleys and the engine management, he could see better gains and probably outrun me--expecially with more practice on his launch...

From above, a 14.13 is freakin' moving into the CL-S 6 speed w/ mods territory, and that is pretty darn quick...
Old 04-01-2003, 06:30 PM
2002 TL Type S

Yeah, that is pretty impressive for an RSX-S... I'll give you that. Still, 13's are quite easy with a V-8 and don't require buckets of money. I guess that's not really the point. Sleepers have their redeeming qualities, especially if they pull on an unsuspecting V-8. LOL!
Old 04-01-2003, 06:36 PM
lover and fighter

Not just that, most of your American V8's will get eaten for lunch by an RSX in a corner...
My ex had a regular RSX for about 6 months and the d@mn thing could out corner my modded TL-S any day of the weak...A Type S with blow my doors off in the "esses" I know, and I also know I have left many a Z28 and Mustang going around a couple of high speed on-ramps here in town like they were Eurovans...
Plus a 14.13 in a compact car is a freakin' blast to sit in!
I have a friend with a turbo Integra R that runs around 13.6's and that car is like riding a freakin' go cart from h=ll...
Old 04-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Liquid Ice

Ok, so maybe beast is all relatively speaking considering 14 seconds is not a wonder or anything ... But its still darned impressive for a little car that "only" has 200 hp stock, and a 4 cylinder engine. Especially when you think about the possibilities if they add a turbo or supercharger (I'm assuming forced induction would have SOME sortof benefit on a car like that)...