Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 TLS, 30K miles. No problems.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:35 PM
Advanced

my font disks were warp and my back pads were low at about 12k ...i managed to got new front disks and pads all around for free.
lucky i guees...because he didnt want to cover them in the beginng then i told him not to touch anything and that i was going to take it elsewhere.. by the time i called him backed he told me that he took care of everything.

fiddlyD
Old 06-29-2003, 03:01 AM
Instructor

Not trying to Flame anybody here, but I think the warping rotors problem we have is really a combination of results of neglecting... (note, not just the owner.)

First off, as some of us here said Honda/Acura had the "destrutive pads." I would correct it as poor quality pads instead of "too abrasive" and "destructive" cause if the rotor is too hard a.k.a. race pads that actually eats your rotors, you won't be able to stop in the first couple attempts.

As a side note, I recomend everyone go checking this out: http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm
So next time the Acura service rep starting bs-ing, you can just slap him left and right.

Then, remember how many of us test driving "new" cars with no mercy style of driving, ie... take off and rev it to redline, stop violently just to see if " the car is able to stop on a dime"... Well, even after factory "Bed-in" the then new rotors/ pads properly, you should still driving easy on the brake system on the initial 500 to 1000 miles. Anything that went wrong can damage the pads and rotors prematurely... So this is more like to dealer's responsiblities.

Then stop at the traffic light with transmission at "Drive" and holding the brake at the traffic light is just normal to a lot of drivers, if that happens enough at the break-in period, it will also well, hot spoting the rotors. so Owner's problem.

Some of you mention the cross drilled rotors, I don't know how many of you know that, the drilled holes never serve any advantage as braking performance goes, but only for weight saving. The Slotting is the one that can "cut" into the pad and wipe out uneven pad deposits. If you think any cross drilled rotors do better than the stock brake, more likely it will be the material they used to cast the rotor is better, or the vent (inside the rotor) remove heat better.

as the Stop Tech article (the one I linked above) mentioned, if the rotor had been damaged, if the re-surface or grinding process did not do properly, which does not remove all of the cementite inclusions, as the disc wears the hard cementite will stand proud of the relatively soft disc and the thermal spiral starts over again.
This is why we have some members "resurface at 30k then 10k after it's warpped again, resurface, warp agian another 12k...." The rotor also need the Bedding in, easy break in procedure after the rotor resurface and new pads...

Well, I just want all of us be better educated.
I'm not an expert, but those Stop Tech article will make you a lot more educated, than, urhh, the regular Acura Rep, at least on the brake...
Old 06-29-2003, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by NSXDreamer
Not trying to Flame anybody here, but I think the warping rotors problem we have is really a combination of results of neglecting... (note, not just the owner.)

First off, as some of us here said Honda/Acura had the "destrutive pads." I would correct it as poor quality pads instead of "too abrasive" and "destructive" cause if the rotor is too hard a.k.a. race pads that actually eats your rotors, you won't be able to stop in the first couple attempts.

As a side note, I recomend everyone go checking this out: http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm
So next time the Acura service rep starting bs-ing, you can just slap him left and right.

Then, remember how many of us test driving "new" cars with no mercy style of driving, ie... take off and rev it to redline, stop violently just to see if " the car is able to stop on a dime"... Well, even after factory "Bed-in" the then new rotors/ pads properly, you should still driving easy on the brake system on the initial 500 to 1000 miles. Anything that went wrong can damage the pads and rotors prematurely... So this is more like to dealer's responsiblities.

Then stop at the traffic light with transmission at "Drive" and holding the brake at the traffic light is just normal to a lot of drivers, if that happens enough at the break-in period, it will also well, hot spoting the rotors. so Owner's problem.

Some of you mention the cross drilled rotors, I don't know how many of you know that, the drilled holes never serve any advantage as braking performance goes, but only for weight saving. The Slotting is the one that can "cut" into the pad and wipe out uneven pad deposits. If you think any cross drilled rotors do better than the stock brake, more likely it will be the material they used to cast the rotor is better, or the vent (inside the rotor) remove heat better.

as the Stop Tech article (the one I linked above) mentioned, if the rotor had been damaged, if the re-surface or grinding process did not do properly, which does not remove all of the cementite inclusions, as the disc wears the hard cementite will stand proud of the relatively soft disc and the thermal spiral starts over again.
This is why we have some members "resurface at 30k then 10k after it's warpped again, resurface, warp agian another 12k...." The rotor also need the Bedding in, easy break in procedure after the rotor resurface and new pads...

Well, I just want all of us be better educated.
I'm not an expert, but those Stop Tech article will make you a lot more educated, than, urhh, the regular Acura Rep, at least on the brake...
Interesting.

During my break-in period, I babied the brakes, taking care not to get them hot. During the next 23k miles, I drove the car "sportily", but I didn't abuse it. And I didn't make any extreme stops to test braking ability. Then, at 25k miles, I started to notice the tell-tale signs of warped rotors. I took the car in at 28k and Acura replaced all 4 rotors and pads.

Regarding the link, and the comment about having never seen a truly warped rotor, well, all I can say is that I'm pretty darn sure I have. On my previous car, I watched as the rotor was turned on the lathe. It was easy to see when the bit was carving metal, and when it wasn't. An obvious shiny patch of cleanly cut metal would wobble around and around as the rotor turned. After several passes, eventually the bit was in constant contact with metal. At this point, the surface of the rotor is trued.

Just my two cents...
Old 06-29-2003, 05:36 PM
Instructor

I think when you see the Fresh Carving metal, that part was what it supposed to be, and the other part was the deposit... We are thinking the other way around, thus lead to the Brake pads too hard Bull****....

but this is just guessing, because I actually think of the same when I read the article, I take the FAQ from the Stoptech since they are the company that makes good brake kit for a lot of higher end performance cars with very good customer's feedback, and believe it or not, they do a lot of extensive research... What I trying to say is, those guys know at least 10 times more about brakes than most of us do, if not 100 times....
Old 06-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Instructor

I think when you see the Fresh Carving metal, that part was what it supposed to be, and the other part was the deposit... We are thinking the other way around, thus lead to the Brake pads too hard Bull****....
This sounds backwards? If there was a deposit of brake pad material on the rotor, that deposited material would bulge out, and would be the first thing removed by the lathe.

No doubt those guys know brakes, tho...
Old 07-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Rotor warped and resurfaced by dealer free of charge at 9,200 miles. Vehicle now only have 9,500 so I'm not sure when it'll warp again..but I'm sure it will.

randomwalk101@yahoo.com
2002 Acura TL
Old 07-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Cruisin'

2002 TLS - Dealer turned fronts at 17K. Said they knew it was a "KNOWN PROBLEM" and if they warped again they would replace under warranty. They did not replace the pads. Still smooth at 17.5K, but we'll see!
Old 07-03-2003, 12:29 AM
Advanced

but this is just guessing, because I actually think of the same when I read the article, I take the FAQ from the Stoptech since they are the company that makes good brake kit for a lot of higher end performance cars with very good customer's feedback, and believe it or not, they do a lot of extensive research... What I trying to say is, those guys know at least 10 times more about brakes than most of us do, if not 100 times....
NSXDreamer,
I just replaced my rotors w a brand named Centric by Raybestos.
Anyone familiar with this brand?
It's the slotted type as opposed to the drilled type of rotor.
I'm driving the car more aggressively this time and really punching the brakes hard with the least care. No matter what conclusion I may arrive at, if this rotor warps then I'll just replace it with another brand. I'll just go that route
So far the car drives and brakes smooth to date.
Let's see 10,000 miles from now.
Does your car still have OE rotors or some aftermarket ones?
juniel
Old 07-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
2002 TL-P, 19 months, 29k miles. I just had my rotors resurfaced 2 days ago under warranty. My dealer was cool about it (I have my car serviced there and pay lots for them to do so).

I do mostly freeway driving and during rush hour, I tend to use the SS so I don't have to brake as much. At other times, I do drive a bit aggressively, but don't slam on the brakes. I am also careful about washing the car. I handwash, and only do it an hour or more after the car's last trip so I don't get cold water on the hot rotors.

I am hoping these measures lead to my not needing another turning, or, worse, a complete replacement, for a while. Judging from others' comments, I'm not hopeful. I'll just wear the hell out of the rotors and replace them with Brembos when the time comes.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:55 AM
The Undertaker

just started to notice a loud vibration today, i guess i'll be a new member of the resurfaced rotors club soon.....i'm going to go to the dealer tomorrow, i'll let you guys know what they come up with.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:54 PM
9th Gear

Front rotors warped & resurfaced at 22,058 miles. Replaced front pads also.

35,000 miles now & warped again!

02 TLS
Old 07-07-2003, 04:52 PM
2nd Gear

same problem on a '99 tl... dealer replaced rotors at 42k, but wobble is back at 52k... and links to aftermarket rotors that are reputable??
Old 07-09-2003, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

k
Old 07-09-2003, 05:26 PM
2002 TL Type S

Some of you mention the cross drilled rotors...the drilled holes never serve any advantage as braking performance goes
I would agree....less surface contact in many cases and some are prone to cracking under hard braking. Besides weight saving, the holes do allow better ventilation inside of the rotor.

If you think any cross drilled rotors do better than the stock brake, more likely it will be the material they used to cast the rotor is better, or the vent (inside the rotor) remove heat better.
Could be. My Stang's OE rotors were much like the TL's rotors....they got warped early in life...appx. 35K miles. Then I purchased some cross-drilled rotors. They have been abused for 100K miles and have not given me any vibration in the brake pedal. I even wore my pads down until metal from the calipers was grinding grooves into the rotors. Got new brakes and found someone to resurface my rotors because of the deep grooves (not because of vibration) and they're still going strong.

Is it the material used in casting? Could it be the better cooling? Who knows? I want to go cross-drilled or slotted when the TL's rotors are no longer covered under warranty just because of my own experience with them.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:29 PM
Advanced

Thank god it's not just me!! Here I am thinking that I've been braking to hard (I come right up on people's bumpers when stopping cause I'm braking so lightly) and now I see I'm not alone. I've noticed slight vibrations at 5k, went away for a while and now seems to be getting worse at 8k. I think I'm going to be in for service after the next hard stop.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here everyone, click this link and READ THIS .
This tells you everything you needed to know about "warping" rotors.

My rotors crapped out at 12k miles (my tranny actually made it to 32k before that went). The rotors and pads were replaced for free (as was the tranny) By 25k miles, the shaking started up again slowly. I dealt with it and finally tossed them at 37k and put on Brembo rotors and Hawk performance Pads from tirerack.com. Total cost was $208. I knew the Acura dealer wasnt going to replace them a second time (they told me so when they did it the first time) and frankly I didnt feel like dealing with their crap (like they were doing me some kind of favor replacing the rotors to begin with when its a known defect that plagues the TL just like the tranny) or haggling with Acura Customer Support and begging them to take care of something that I shouldnt have to beg about.

Why in the world I ever bought a TL i'll never know. I wont be buying another one. Crappy Crappy Crappy.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:58 PM
10th Gear

have the same problem... glad to know that it's not just me...
Old 07-13-2003, 08:39 AM
1st Gear

New to this forum and glad I found it. Went to dealer at 16K miles and they volunteered info that the rotors had gone bad (hadn't really noticed any problems). Course at 19K the problem seems to have returned. We'll see what they say when I take it in for service next week.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:55 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
No problems whatsoever, rotors are fine. I have a 97 Honda Accord with 130,000 miles on it, no rotor problems either!

Hope I got a good set. You all got some serious rotor drama. I have a question, do you all drive your cars very hard and brake extremely hard when rotors are wet? I heard that hard braking when rotors are wet can be big trouble.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Advanced

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hokie D
[B]I would agree....less surface contact in many cases and some are prone to cracking under hard braking. Besides weight saving, the holes do allow better ventilation inside of the rotor.

Quote:
__________________________________________________ ___________
Could be. My Stang's OE rotors were much like the TL's rotors....they got warped early in life...appx. 35K miles. Then I purchased some cross-drilled rotors. They have been abused for 100K miles and have not given me any vibration in the brake pedal. I even wore my pads down until metal from the calipers was grinding grooves into the rotors..
__________________________________________________ ___________
Hokie D,
If you still remember the make/brand of that particular cross drilled
rotor you installed on your mustang, for me to consider next time
around.
Many thanks,
juniel
Old 07-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by CJITTY
do you all drive your cars very hard and brake extremely hard when rotors are wet? I heard that hard braking when rotors are wet can be big trouble.
I think the situation you are referring to is pulling into a car wash or otherwise getting the rotors wet when they are already hot. This too-fast cool down can warp the metal.

And, no, I never did that, and didn't do any super-hard braking, and mine warped. It's supposedly defective pads that cause the warping....
Old 07-17-2003, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Honda/Acura seems to be a little weak when it comes to brakes and breaking. Look at some of the car comparisons in the different auto magazines. I think with the exception of the S2000, most Hondas rate less than average when compared with other models in the same class. Toyota/Lexus seems to do very well in the braking category.

Honda really is an engine/drivetrain building company, than happens to build automobiles on the side!
Old 07-18-2003, 10:03 AM
10th Gear

Thumbs down Rotor problems on 2003 TL Type S

I have a 2003 TL Type S that I purchased last year. I just took it to the dealer a week ago. The dealer replaced the rotors and the brake pads. Still trying to get the dealer to admit to a trans problem.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:28 AM
Instructor

It appears that rotors on this car were designed to be a maintenance item like the tires. Fine except that the tires are lasting twice as long as rotors in my case (with rotation and balancing)
I have driven several Buicks and other full and midsize models that have never had any maintenance issues with the braking system other than typical pad replacement, etc.
Out of the thousands spent for designing and manufacturing of this 'upscale' vehicle a few extra bucks should have been set aside to provide the appropriate braking system for this ride.

Come on Honda-Acura, fix this mistake.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:26 PM
2002 TL Type S

If you still remember the make/brand of that particular cross drilled rotor you installed on your mustang
I bought them from Dugan Racing (duganracing.com), but they no longer sell them. I do not know who manufactured them, sorry.

I'm curious who makes good quality rotors for the Acura. If anyone goes aftermarket, post your experiences with various brands.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:29 PM
10th Gear

I turn my car in today for oil change and ask to check my rotor.
The service dept told me the front rotor is indeed warped and replace the break pad and resurface the rotor.
My acura is 2002 Type S with 33700 miles on it.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Finally had the rotors turned at 37,500 miles. Dealership refused to do the job for free and had to call Acura Client Services for a "goodwill" service. It's pathetic that I had to go through all of this trouble in order to fix the problem.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:15 PM
Advanced

2002 TL-S, Rotors replaced at 40K miles under warranty.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear

2002 TL-S, 2400 miles...rotors didn't feel smooth. Now at 4600 miles, I will call the service dept. This is my first bad Acura out of nine. Anyone know the best resource for cross drilled rotors? What about finding out how to get more padding in the front seats like the CL-S front seats.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:54 AM
Racer

rotors have been resurfaced twice already! once at 15,000 and again at 35,000 never under warranty.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:46 AM
Racer

rotors have been resurfaced twice already! once at 15,000 and again at 35,000 never under warranty.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:39 PM
Racer

'99TL - rotors resurfaced somewhere after 30,000 (got the car with 28,000), at 69,000 and they need to be resurfaced again. Anyone know a good brand of aftermarket brake pads / rotors? will they be expensive to get installed?
Old 07-31-2003, 03:22 PM
Intermediate

Me too. Both front rotors warped and resurfaced under warranty at about 20,000 miles. 2003 TLS.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:37 PM
Advanced

i have a 03 tl type-s..
rotors resurfaced at around 13000..
now it's 19000.. and i feel it have to resurfaced again..
so pissed.. i just order the brembo turismo brake system..
but the ****ing stock wheel too small to fit in..
so i have to spend another 3000 dollar..
for volk racing te37 wheel 19x8 with 245/35/19 s-03 tire..
all these for a !@#$%ing rotor!!!
Old 07-31-2003, 11:28 PM
Instructor

question: how do you know if your rotors are warped? what are the symptoms?
Old 08-01-2003, 10:07 AM
Registered Abuser

both warped, ordered new ones from irotors
99 TL 85k
Old 08-01-2003, 11:36 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Rotors

I'm new to the site. Is there a Rotor petition anywhere I can sign?? I'm on my third set of rotors. History follows

12K rotors turned

20K replaced

32K turned

46L replaced

60K turned
Old 08-01-2003, 03:58 PM
Pro

I don't even bother going back to dealer. Just have them replaced yesterday @26000. Using aftermarket rotor with Wagner ThermoQuiet which has ceramic material instead of semi-metallic. Hope it helps since it shouldn't be as abrasive.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Resurfaced rotors at 7K as "good will" at the dealership. Warped again at 30K with more then 50% of pads left, dealer charging $400 to resurface and change pads. Told them to F*** themselfs and did it at a local gas station. Now at 36K they r warped again.

Quick Reply: Rotor problems petition - PLEASE READ