Resolution to Tranny problem! YES!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 04:38 PM
Ali
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resolution to Tranny problem! YES!

well as alot of you guys knew my tranny went out on my 2000 TL after owning it for only 1 week. During this 1 week the car shifted just as good as my 2001 accord coupe when I bought it brand new, flawless shifts. but when I went on a trip that was around 3 hours long one way the tranny just gave up. well I got the car towed to a dealership that a member on here recommended, they took a look at the car and today they told me that their Acura rep ok'ed a new transmission to be put in for free even though i'm out of warrantee. They said that because I had all the records and my car was a 2000 that they felt that the transmission was a factory defect anyways I dont care, at least i'm getting a new transmission for free I guess it all depends on what dealership you take it to, i just hope that this new tranny doesnt give out
Old 07-11-2002, 04:45 PM
Instructor

glad to here your success with getting new tranny no cost. I have a huge beef with acura about this same thing right now. Hope this means they are going to work with us on this
Old 07-11-2002, 04:50 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Good news! I am told that, while there will not be a recall, they will "take care" of all tranny "issues". I guess this goes to prove their point. They could have said, "FU"!

Glad they did not...

:-jon
Old 07-11-2002, 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

that's really good to hear.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:07 PM
Ali
Advanced

Originally posted by oblio98
Good news! I am told that, while there will not be a recall, they will "take care" of all tranny "issues". I guess this goes to prove their point. They could have said, "FU"!

Glad they did not...

:-jon
so if anyone takes their car in with tranny problems they will fix it?
Old 07-11-2002, 05:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
Well that gives a big point to Acura. They must realize that its a problem.

I'm happy for you. I really thought you were going to get F'd over.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:27 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
This just goes to show that Acura is a consumer friendly company, that cares about their image.

Good for you and I am glad of your outcome.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:00 PM
Ali
Advanced

i'm really glad too, but i think its more this dealership than Acura as I went to another dealership that was closer to me and they just blew me off saying they dont know who the previous owner was and that its not their problem, etc... the car had warranty till 60k miles, and right now its at 70k so it would have been really bad for them if they didnt...
Old 07-11-2002, 09:35 PM
Advanced

Also don't forget that corporate also told me to screw off.. The dealership that we took it to is just a good one! The funny part was that the service manager even tried to get the other guy to give me a loner but he didn't accept claiming that a new tranny was enough. I got a couple mor cars so no worries just happy it's getting taken care of. I still blame acura for the tranny no matter how nice this one dealership is, Their corporate managers have no right to tell a customer to F*** off!
Old 07-11-2002, 10:01 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear that you got the problem taken care of, Ali! I guess the old owner is off the hook this time but this is a good lesson for everyone to learn: exercise extreme caution when buying used cars.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:44 PM
Safety Car

Thumbs up

Cool man. Maybe now you can stop talking $#@! about Acura's reputation or quality and start apprasing their customer service.

Old 07-12-2002, 12:11 AM
STi
Racer

Originally posted by silver03TL
Cool man. Maybe now you can stop talking $#@! about Acura's reputation or quality and start apprasing their customer service.

couldn't have agreed more
Old 07-12-2002, 01:08 AM
Intermediate

what dealership did u take it to? so far i've been to couple of dealers in nyc, long island area... they've been all jerks.. i guess its cuz i'm young or something.. anyways i was just wondering if its close to ny
Old 07-12-2002, 07:35 AM
Instructor

sti and silver03tl

can't you read acura's customer service told Amir to f^&k off. Yes there are some good dealerships but acura's customer service stinks. I own a 1 year old car and call due to problems I can't seem to get fixed and they give me aditude for calling them.

as for acura there are some good dealerships but as a company they stink.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:54 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by emeraldTL
sti and silver03tl

can't you read acura's customer service told Amir to f^&k off. Yes there are some good dealerships but acura's customer service stinks. I own a 1 year old car and call due to problems I can't seem to get fixed and they give me aditude for calling them.

as for acura there are some good dealerships but as a company they stink.

I was referring to this .

If they give you attitude for calling, maybe you should go the next step by talking to the dealership manager or write a letter to Acura about how you were treated at that specific dealership.

:o
Old 07-12-2002, 03:29 PM
Ali
Advanced

I was referring to this .

If they give you attitude for calling, maybe you should go the next step by talking to the dealership manager or write a letter to Acura about how you were treated at that specific dealership.

maybe you should post in the specific thread instead of being all over the place. Also Yes Acura TL's do have a POS transmission. Yes Acura has ****ty customer Service. Baranco Acura in Georgia however gets 2 thumbs up as a fine dealership.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:01 PM
Safety Car

Hey Ali, I didn't mean to flame you, but sometimes I type stuff that comes to mind. I agree that Acura; since they are a upper class Honda, has a transmission problem and should acknowlege that to the consumers. I guess they don't want to ruin their reputation if this is not a problem on all their cars. I do have to say that Honda/Acura has developed extremely refine engines over the years, but might need some help on tranmissions. As for the dealers, it really depends on where you go or who you know I guess. Needless to say, I'm just glad you took care of your problem, hopefully you'll enjoy the vehicle a little more.

my 2 cents

Old 07-12-2002, 04:35 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Ali
i'm really glad too, but i think its more this dealership than Acura as I went to another dealership that was closer to me and they just blew me off saying they dont know who the previous owner was and that its not their problem, etc... the car had warranty till 60k miles, and right now its at 70k so it would have been really bad for them if they didnt...
Just remember, the dealership is not the one paying for the tranny, Honda is. Now perhaps the dealer worded the complaint properly to get the new tranny, but don t forget the dealer would not be doing it if they were not being paid to do so by Acura. Also, since you did not buy the TL @ that dealership you are extremely lucky.

Get down on your hands and knees and thank your lucky stars, as you really have no proof how your transmission was cared for and used.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:49 PM
Ali
Advanced

Originally posted by BLEXV6

Just remember, the dealership is not the one paying for the tranny, Honda is. Now perhaps the dealer worded the complaint properly to get the new tranny, but don t forget the dealer would not be doing it if they were not being paid to do so by Acura. Also, since you did not buy the TL @ that dealership you are extremely lucky.

Get down on your hands and knees and thank your lucky stars, as you really have no proof how your transmission was cared for and used.
exactly seems a little fishy doesnt it? one of those things thats too good to be true maybe?
Old 07-12-2002, 08:46 PM
STi
Racer

you kept flaming acura, and telling people here that their cars are POS that have POS transmission, well you know what? 98% of people here don't appreciate that because these cars have a 2% transmission failure rate, so what you say makes less experienced auto buyers scared, because once you own many cars and join many different auto groups, you'll understand that these problems are everywhere
if you want to flame, flame the crappy dealers that disrespected you, but that kind of dealers are everywhere, not just acura, some MB ones are terrible, and so are some BMWs
you just have to find a dealer that you can trust and depend on, not wasting time online scaring off potential buyers of this car
all cars have problems, go buy some expensive cars and you will see, squeaks, rattles are always there, but these mechanical problems aren't as uncommon as you think
i agree that honda has a bombproof reputation, and this incident probably disappoints you, well, i'm sorry to hear you misfortune, i just hope that you do not go around the TL forum that 98% of the people that their cars have POS transmissions when they don't

i'm not flaming you by any means, now that your car is fixed, i hope everything goes well for you, good luck
Old 07-12-2002, 09:32 PM
Ali
Advanced

Originally posted by STi
you kept flaming acura, and telling people here that their cars are POS that have POS transmission, well you know what? 98% of people here don't appreciate that because these cars have a 2% transmission failure rate, so what you say makes less experienced auto buyers scared, because once you own many cars and join many different auto groups, you'll understand that these problems are everywhere
if you want to flame, flame the crappy dealers that disrespected you, but that kind of dealers are everywhere, not just acura, some MB ones are terrible, and so are some BMWs
you just have to find a dealer that you can trust and depend on, not wasting time online scaring off potential buyers of this car
all cars have problems, go buy some expensive cars and you will see, squeaks, rattles are always there, but these mechanical problems aren't as uncommon as you think
i agree that honda has a bombproof reputation, and this incident probably disappoints you, well, i'm sorry to hear you misfortune, i just hope that you do not go around the TL forum that 98% of the people that their cars have POS transmissions when they don't

i'm not flaming you by any means, now that your car is fixed, i hope everything goes well for you, good luck
actually i've owned and own quite a few cars, including (3)M3, 325i, 325is, 328i, my dad's 540i, 1997 Honda Accord (bought it brand new, 250k+ miles on it, original tranny and engine, way better built than the TL), 2001 Accord (bought it brand new, so far so good) and now this 2000 TL. I've never had a car have transmission problems, let alone in the first week i've owned it. Well I later researched it and yes there are alot of TL and CL owners with tranny problems. Yes Acura does make POS transmissions, thats my opinion and from my experience its not going to change. Acura/Honda should try to make a tranny that can handle 200+hp...
Old 07-12-2002, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by STi

Sti,

While only a small percentage of acura tl's have transmition trouble you quote 2% acura quotes 7-15% are having troubles. For what we spend on the car we shouldn't have to put up with these types of problems and while Ali got lucky with an out of warranty repair he did contact acura customer care and was told to f#$k off. A dealer is who finialy tried to help him and get it fixed.

The transmition trouble, break problems, rattles, and overall build quality is sub par. granted I hated hearing people down talk my pride and joy 2001 TL, but I agree with them now.

This message board is what convinced me to buy the car and while us that are trashing acura are probably causing a few to double think the purchase I think they should look at all the troubles and wonder if they should buy it. The dealers are usualy good at fixing stuff while in warranty but something to think about is that warranty will end at some point then you are stuck with any problems that arise.

I too have contacted acura customer care and first time was terrible person was very rude, and not helpfull at all. Second was ok listened and put a ticket in to a case manager to see what can be done for me.

so in closing I've decided to get rid of the tl and have ordered a mercedes 2003 E class so I'm discused enough to leave the car and it's problems
Old 07-12-2002, 10:18 PM
Ali
Advanced

is rattiling normal? my TL rattles alot in the back, sorta like I got a sound system, but I really dont. could the Bose thing in the back be causing the rattling? Also the brakes on my car dont seem that good my armrest seems a little loose, and my seat moves back by itself sometimes. but the only real problem i've had with the car is the transmission, the other crap i can put up with, but if my car can't move then I kind of get pissed...
Old 07-12-2002, 10:23 PM
Instructor

ali, the rattle in the back is the grill in the center covering the sub woofer. people here tell me acura has a buliten out on it and they are to replace the part, I have been unable to get a replacement with only 34k miles, the seat is a new thing to me. breaks are just ok in our cars not outstanding by any means. but they don't stink, but the rotors in stock form do warp quite often
Old 07-13-2002, 01:47 AM
STi
Racer

this is an american built car, how much can you expect? and since when did a 250+hp car that pulls .85g on the track can sell for the TL's price AND be all trouble free? it took me 6 months to fix all the rattles in my 330Ci, are you going to bash that now? and how about my friend's SL500 (2003) that blew and engine and the rattles he just doesn't bother to fix anymore? come'on guys, i think you guys had way too good luck with your previous cars, and i envy that, but i face the truth, a car is made with many parts and screws, i don't expect a perfect car, but at least it should be worth the money, and i think the TL is worth the money
i don't care about out-of-warranty problems now becausei sell my cars when the warranty expires so...
i think some of you exagerate when you say that the acura people telling you to *beep* off, i know some sales reps may be rude, and many dealers are terrible, but there are good ones, and i don't think you can blame Honda for this
like i mentioned before, i've been to crappy MB showrooms, and i've met some very disrespectful reps from some BMW dealers, but i don't blame them, some people are jerks, they don't live happy, and whatever, not my business

i'm just interested where did you get acura's quote of tranny failures?
Old 07-13-2002, 01:27 PM
GO SEMINOLES!!!

i'm happy that your tranny issues will get fixed

i've noticed that i really don't see to many 2001 TL's that have tranny issues, is this good luck or is there something different?
Old 07-13-2002, 08:45 PM
Pro

My 2000 TL has been absolutely trouble-free since day 1. Almost 30K miles now. No tranny issues, no engine issues, no rotor warping, no nothing. Absolutely fabulous car. My WRX is also equally trouble-free.

My in-laws' 2001 Mercedes S500, has a rattle coming from the dashboard, which they decided to leave alone, since they did not want the monkeys at the dealership fiddling and ripping apart the dash. So does that mean that Mercedes assembly quality has slipped ?

Maybe I was lucky with my TL ??

Later...AH
Old 07-13-2002, 09:32 PM
DHB
Instructor

For what it's worth, the G35 owners on the freshalloy web site seem to be having their fair share of problems too including rattles.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:47 PM
Advanced

back to the guy trying to qoute me and my bro on not having exprience with quality cars here are two in my garage right now not to mention all the cars that come and go as i buy and sell... So far from my point of view acura has been ****y no matter what any of you say compard to all the bimmer and benzes i've had. I would never recomend it to anyone and trust me you guys are all backing them up now w/ 30k miles but wait til you hit 60k and then we'll see who is really pissed...
Old 07-13-2002, 09:50 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by DHB
For what it's worth, the G35 owners on the freshalloy web site seem to be having their fair share of problems too including rattles.
I just read in the paper that Nissan moved down the quality list due to teething problems with their Altima. I assume that the G35 will be more of the same.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:08 AM
Instructor

my quotes of acura's numbers come from my second call to customer care. as for ali's statement that acura told him to F*()* off I'm sure after my responces from the company he is not lying
Old 07-14-2002, 12:47 PM
STi
Racer

Ali
i've never doubted about you not having experience with cars
you're the one with the 300+hp m3 right?

anyways, i'm saying, many people have bad experience with cars, and you may have been lucky, most cars are not perfect
i stated that you're quite lucky because on most car-forums, they have their share of problems, including me
mind you, not only my 330Ci has been a pain in the rear end (to fix, that is, but it is sweet stuff to wind out in the mountains)
and my friend bought a E46 328i when it first came out
second day his car was in the shop for an engine replacement, he waited 2 weeks, so would you appreciate us coming to you and say your M3's a POS? i think not
oh wait, why do i have a 320i in my garage now? oh yes, they took out my transmission taken out and waiting for a new one IN BACKORDER
i know what it feels like, in fact, i feel worse that you're feeling, why? because 330Ci cost a lot more, but whatever, cars have faults

oh and the other thing, my door handle had some problem being very hard to open, so they took it off and found that they had no parts, so put it back together and told me to wait 1 week, and turns out they screwed it up, the doors would opens sometimes and sometimes not!! anyways, 1 week later they told me the parts were in and told me to get my car there, when i was there, guess what, they told me the parts weren't here and that they made a mistake
only 2 weeks later did the parts actually come and the door was fixed
oh by the way, my car is 1 yr and 2 months old, 12000miles

please do not start getting aggressive
i just don't appreciate you going around bad-mouthing this car because you probably picked up a bad one
anyways, i'm glad that you had it fixed for free, and i hope you have good luck with it

i didn't say that there's nothing wrong with the transmissions, but it's not THAT widespread
Old 07-14-2002, 02:10 PM
Advanced

don't confuse me w/ my bro..nice how u go back and edit ur post no matter what porblems ur bimmer has atleast bmwna doesn't tell u to **** off anyhow who are u to back them up??? what's it to you?? I'll talk about them all I want when their customer service tells me to **** off!!
Old 07-14-2002, 03:15 PM
STi
Racer

i never said that the dealer was right to be so rude, but i said that dealers mayb have problems, but many simply complain it's honda's fault

any car brand dealers can have problems
for example when my friend's cousin's e320 blew an engine (around 20000miles, the mb rep kept saying wtf is wrong with him that he mis treats his engine and all that crap and saying he's lucky mb is replacing the engine
but you know what? his car is completely stock
Old 07-14-2002, 04:52 PM
Ali
Advanced

Originally posted by STi
i never said that the dealer was right to be so rude, but i said that dealers mayb have problems, but many simply complain it's honda's fault

any car brand dealers can have problems
for example when my friend's cousin's e320 blew an engine (around 20000miles, the mb rep kept saying wtf is wrong with him that he mis treats his engine and all that crap and saying he's lucky mb is replacing the engine
but you know what? his car is completely stock
well it would be fine if the dealer is rude as they wouldnt get my business, but for Acura to be rude is not fine.
Old 07-14-2002, 09:24 PM
STi
Racer

why all dealers can be rude but not Acura?
Old 07-14-2002, 09:52 PM
Ali
Advanced

Originally posted by STi
why all dealers can be rude but not Acura?
because if a particular dealer is rude I can go to some other dealer, but if Acura is rude I can't go to another Acura, but I can go to another Car company.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:27 PM
Burning Brakes

will everyone stop their b***ching? according to emerald's and ali's philosophy, my TL is new with 4K that I put on it, and no problems. so does that make it the best and most perfect car in the world? no...I anticipate problems to come up, thats why dealers give a warrenty. people drive cars differently, treat them differently. bottom line...and all of us accept it...

NOT ALL TL'S ARE CREATED EQUAL.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:38 PM
Safety Car

Red face

Dude, I don't get it, your car will be fixed and since you have such hate against Acura automobiles and dealerships, but a lot of love for BMW's, why don't you just sell the TL once it gets fix? I think everyone will be hella happy after that.

Old 07-14-2002, 10:51 PM
Ali
Advanced

Dude, I don't get it, your car will be fixed and since you have such hate against Acura automobiles and dealerships, but a lot of love for BMW's, why don't you just sell the TL once it gets fix? I think everyone will be hella happy after that.

actually its already in the newspaper However this board has helped me alot in getting to know Acura TL's and I like to have knowledge of as many cars out there.

Quick Reply: Resolution to Tranny problem! YES!