Replace Factory Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Replace Factory Radio?

Tape deck went out today. Is replacing the OEM radio a hastle? If I go after market will the stock speakers, minus the subwoofer, work with the new audio system?
Old 05-01-2018, 10:15 PM
wng
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Haven't done it myself, but have researched it. Stock speakers will be fine. You'll lose steering wheel controls unless you get a relatively expensive adapter.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Our cars come from a nice time period where there's still plenty of wires running around and it's got a nice blend of analog and digital stuff - with some tinkering you can get your stock steering wheel buttons working!
Everyone does suggest going for a new HU though - better sound and if you drop some cash on it you can get one with cool features like a backup camera.
I just stuck a bluetooth chip into the output wires of the tape deck, and ran the control button wires to the steering wheel controls. Had to modify the clockspring to do so.
If you really don't want to drop too much money and have a knack for it, you can almost certainly repair the tape deck itself - those things are pretty easy to troubleshoot.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help. Right now my tape deck flips the tape around a couple times (the triangle on the display for the deck points up, points down, points up and then spits it out) do you know where I could start to see if I can fix it? Failing that, a replacement radio from eBay is like $70. So, if I get a replacement radio can I get the code to unlock it without knowing the VIN of the vehicle it came from? I know you can look the code up online but I didn't now if it'd work if I use the code from the radio I get online and my vehicles VIN number since they weren't manufactured together.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Pro

Hey zoopzop, does it do the same thing regardless of what tape is inside the unit?
if you get a fresh radio and pull just the tape deck section out (it's very modular inside the unit) and install that into your current one, you won't have to worry about security codes.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Damn that's a good idea dude, thank you! I tried it with the AUX tape from Walmart and another from AutoZone and it spit both out -_- is it that hard to just open up the radios and swap the deck like that??? While we're at it, you wouldn't have to know anything about rear deck rattle would you :p
Old 05-03-2018, 01:59 PM
Pro

Getting the actual head unit out of the car is a bit of a hassle but it's very straightforward, so you shouldn't have any trouble with that.
Once you get inside the HU itself, it's super modular and easy to work with - just be careful putting it back together. Lots of pins that, if bent, can render your HU inoperable until you fix the pin. So just make sure to remember how you took it apart so you can do it backwards. I set up a camera to record myself so I could remember where I put each bolt and screw.
If you've got some basic mechanical aptitude you can totally do it man! If you run into any troubles ask us here - I personally took my HU apart a dozen times while making the Bluetooth adapter.
Also, if you've got a scrapyard near you with TLs, I like to go there and practice whatever I'm about to do before I take a swing at my own car. That way when I fuck up it's not a big deal.
As for the rear deck - I've never looked into that issue so I'm afraid not man. Someone else here may have something - if you end up figuring out a fix, share what you did!
Old 05-04-2018, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Well, I just got off the phone with Acura and getting the code for the radio is pretty easy. You just call them, provide your vehicles VIN and your contact information plus the serial number of the radio that you got and they provide you the code. I also found a kit from GTA for $90 that literally just plugs into the back of your factory radio to allow AUX cable input under CD mode. Now, a used radio is about $70 with shipping. So now it's down to swap out the factory radio or swap in the aux cable capabilities for $90. My only concern with going with a used radio is that I don't know how long it will be until it breaks and I have to do this all again. Maybe the AUX cable kit is the way to go?
Old 05-04-2018, 11:09 AM
Pro

I personally seem to enjoy struggling with my car, so I like my broken baby. Everyone else here would (very reasonably) suggest you go for the GTA kit - $90 sounds kind of high for a simple aux port, but that's just my two cents.
You can very easily wire an aux port into the audio channels coming from the tape deck and just have an gutted cassette inside the deck. That'll cost ya maybe a few bucks and an hour or two of work.
Anyways it all depends on how comfortable you are opening the unit and soldering a shielded aux cable in
Old 05-04-2018, 11:13 AM
Instructor

I found a thread on here where a guy did that but there weren't any pictures so i I couldn't figure out how he did it. I'm sure with pics I'd have no problem with it lol
Old 05-08-2018, 07:41 AM
Pro

I'll take a look through my google drive later, I took pictures when I did it but I didn't think anyone would be interested so I didn't post it haha. If I can find them I'll whip up a DIY on here.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
^^^ Just give it to best buy guys. For 90$ of hands he connected woofer too. Steering wheel control is useles when you have remote. It really do not worth spend time learning wairing for such small money. https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ntment-950862/
Old 05-08-2018, 08:10 AM
Pro

$10 bluetooth chip, $5 12v-5v DC-DC converter, some extra electrical components and spare wires, and maybe 2-3 hours if you're a newb,.... I'd say the fix I did on my car ain't bad. Stock steering wheel volume controls still work, but I had to make the playback controls myself since the 99 TL doesn't have that on the wheel.