Removing Carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Removing Carpet?

I need to pull back the carpet on the passenger side. Should I just approach this by pulling the carpet back? I don't want to ruin it. I need to get to the frame/floorboard and I believe thats right under the carpet. So should I just pull back on it or is there another way (the correct way) to take the carpet on the passenger side out? Thanks
Old 03-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by crazym0nkey
I need to pull back the carpet on the passenger side. Should I just approach this by pulling the carpet back? I don't want to ruin it. I need to get to the frame/floorboard and I believe thats right under the carpet. So should I just pull back on it or is there another way (the correct way) to take the carpet on the passenger side out? Thanks
on the floor? its all one piece. what are you trying to do? Front or rear? you will have to pull the seat out if you need to get way under it. you will also have to remove some trim
Old 03-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Pro

Yes on the floor and in the front. Sorry I wasn't clear enough. What I need to do is lift the carpet because... (don't laugh) when I blew out my tire like 2 months back I was jacking the car... in the wrong spot... and so the floorboard gave out i guess and now theres a dent/metal bent upward on the passenger front side. I got a quote to get it fixed, assholes said $430+ because of "hidden damages" which I doubt there are. I just need to pull that carpet back so I gently hammer it down.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Senior Moderator

you will just have to pull the door sill trim, and kick panel off then pull it back.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
you will just have to pull the door sill trim, and kick panel off then pull it back.
I pull the door sill off? Is it held in by clips/screws? Is there a specific way to pull off the door sill without damaging it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a total noob when it comes to taking apart the car.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:25 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

put some wood over the carpet and hammer over the carpet.. Getting the carpet off will be a pain in the ass. you'll have to do the lower door trim, then the lower dashboard and so on... this isn't the problem.... the problem is the carpet, I believe it's held down with glue, possibly tacks in the sides, but mainly glue so it doesn't "bubble-up" , once you peel the glue back you'll have to either spray more glue down once you're done or live with the carpet being loose..
Old 03-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Pro

Well I would do that. I was actualy going to do that in the first place, but i think theres 2 plates that are bent upward. Because when I look under the car, I see some kind of hard plastic with insalation stuff on top of that, and I'm guessing that theres another plate above that foamy, insalation stuff. I'm sure if theres 2 layers, if anyone can tell me if theres only 1 layer then i'll do it. I'll try getting some pictures to show you guys.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:06 PM
2Poor 2Furious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=crazym0nkey]I pull the door sill off? Is it held in by clips/screws? Is there a specific way to pull off the door sill without damaging it? [QUOTE]

For the door sill, just pull upward gently with some force. If you've never done it before, you'll probably think you broke something the first time, but it's just held with clips. Just make sure to pull upward.

For the kick panels around the feet, undo the screws and then pull the panel away to get it released from the clips.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:20 AM
Pro

Heres some pictures. Hope these can help clarify a few things.

In the 3rd picture it looks like thats the carpet (behind that white cotton stuff)? I'll get a better look at it in sunlight but its night right now. From the looks of it, it only looks like a few nails ripped out and doesn't look like theres any other damage. When I went to get a quote, the guy said there could be some other damages but I think that was just a bunch of BS to take more money from me. What you guys think? Should I just hammer it down (well with a piece of wood and hammer and done gently) or leave it to the professionals?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just take off the door sill, then the kick panel, put carpet from the upper right corner to the center console side. the carpet is not glue in. but from the pics looks like you need not only pound it back down but spot weld also...
Old 03-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderator

your probably going to want to bring that in. you tore the spot welds and seem sealer. is that the carpet from the bottom side you see?? that must (or its going to if not fixed correctly) leak like a sob.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unless you have experience realigning panels, repairing torn spot welds, resealing seams, etc., bite the bullet and take it to a professional. If I was the body shop guy, I'd mention unseen damage as well. They might pull apart everything and see other damaged panels, torn seams, etc. Remember, this is a unibody car (not a body on frame) that depends upon the structural integrity of the entire body and part of that integrity was lost by this damage.