Remove mid-muffler and get code PO141?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:10 PM
There's no Acura in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Remove mid-muffler and get code PO141?

Well as soon as he car started up after lowering it off the lift, the CEL came on. First I thought there should be nothing to worry about...it'll probably clear itself after some driving. But I read the code and I'm getting PO141 which alludes to replacing the O2 sensor...

Causes:
* Open or short to ground in the wiring harness
* O2 heater circuit wiring high resistance
* O2 heater element resistance is high
* Internal short or open in the heater element

I'm gonna clear it and hope it doesn't come back but I have a good feeling it will.

Has this happened to anyone after removing the mid-muffler or any exhaust component?

PS: when he cut the muffler off, the pipe that runs towards the engine fell almost to the floor then he got something to hold it up.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by newperson
PS: when he cut the muffler off, the pipe that runs towards the engine fell almost to the floor then he got something to hold it up.
is the 02 sensor in that pipe that fell to the floor? was the 02 sensor wire harness holding it from hitting the floor?

sounds like he possibly broke a few wires in the sensor?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 PM
There's no Acura in

I don't know what was holding it up but when it fell I was scared but just hoped that was "normal". But I think that action is what is causing my problems. But this guy acts like that's what it is: my problem.

Knew I shouldn't have gone to Jose's "we do everything for cheap as hell" shop.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wow what an idiot, there supposed to put a stand under the pipe so it wont fall.. you have to go back and tell them to fix it for you, maybe a wire got cut or something
Old 01-02-2009, 09:00 PM
There's no Acura in

^ and this was only supposed to be a $30 "mod"...now I gotta get into all this. He doesn't seem to be compliant with wanting to fix the problem (or maybe it's just his broken English)...how do I convince him he has to take responsibility? Threaten to sue?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:01 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
you most likely pulled out a wire from the sensor when the pipe fell down.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ and this was only supposed to be a $30 "mod"...now I gotta get into all this. He doesn't seem to be compliant with wanting to fix the problem (or maybe it's just his broken English)...how do I convince him he has to take responsibility? Threaten to sue?
talk to the manager of the shop.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:14 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
id talk to the manager and tell him what he did exactly and what u got bc of that.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:28 PM

do you have a reciept?

alot of muffler shops do things like this for cash, because it is unlawfull for them to remove emission device's, and alot of muffler shops consider mufflers, and resonator's emission device's.

if you have a reciept, talk to the manager, and explain your problem, if they refuse to take care of the situation, come back with the police, and fill out a report in the store parking lot.

have you even looked into how much it is to replace the 02 sensor? if its not a wideband sensor, its not very expensive.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
There's no Acura in

Yeah I have a receipt...paid $40 with credit card. I've looked on AutoZone's site for O2 sensors...they go for around $50 to $150. I consider that expensive when the O2 sensor should've never been affected.

I kinda feel sorry for the guy 'cause I went there early in the morning, left, came back around 3pm and he was still the only one working. He did the muffler removal, I left and then I came back around 7pm so that he could check out the code and he was still the only one there. It's not like he did it on purpose but he's still responsible.

The Helm manual has a PO141 troubleshooting guide which says to reset the PCM and if it comes back proceed with testing resistances, opens, and shorts. I'll reset the PCM in hopes that it was just intermittent but have a feeling it'll come back.

We'll see.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:10 AM

i wouldnt feel to sorry, everyone makes mistakes at their job's. his employer has insurance for things like this, it is up to the owner if he wants to just buy you a new sensor, or go through insurance and have his rates go up.

but first you need to convince him that this problem is because of his service's.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Do you like how it sounds though? after this is all fixed do you think it will be worth it?
Old 01-03-2009, 01:38 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

Knew I shouldn't have gone to Jose's "we do everything for cheap as hell" shop.
i understand ur pissed bro but u dont have to go and get racy about it....i went to a Mexican shop and they did the job perfectly fine for 30 bucks...

i am mexican myself but everyone is human and makes mistakes...go back and talk to the manager or store owner and let them know wzup...

Last edited by ZEUS'O3TL; 01-03-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:19 AM
Registered TL Driver

I went to a shop where it was a hispanic guy doing the work and the guy did what he was suppose to do which is place stands under the exhaust...he placed one in front of the mid muffler and one after it. Everyone makes mistakes...just go back and talk to them about the issue...Just my

Last edited by TLTypeSilver; 01-03-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:29 AM
There's no Acura in

Originally Posted by ZEUS'O3TL
i understand ur pissed bro but u dont have to go and get racy about it....i went to a Mexican shop and they did the job perfectly fine for 30 bucks...

i am mexican myself but everyone is human and makes mistakes...go back and talk to the manager or store owner and let them know wzup...
My bad if I came off like that...I'm not attributing any of this dilemma to his ethnicity, though I do feel there is a language barrier which may mean that he may not understand that it's his fault. Or maybe he didn't remember me and just thought I wanted my codes checked on. So I really don't know what he's thinking.

Like I said though, I highly doubt that he did it on purpose and am completely understanding. If I had anything against people of Hispanic descent, I wouldn't be with my girl...and I've had lots of work done on my [old] car by Hispanic people. I'm not pissed (yet)...my life has been filled with stuff that goes wrong so at this point it's just an inconvenience; I am a very patient person, heck my "sudden loss of power" thread is still ongoing.

I'm going up there in a couple hours when they open though.

Originally Posted by 03TL_typeS
Do you like how it sounds though? after this is all fixed do you think it will be worth it?
Ehh...it sounds ok; I'm not really a modder so it wasn't that important to me. Worth it? Well based on what I've went through, that $40 was probably better spent elsewhere.

Last edited by newperson; 01-03-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

[QUOTE=newperson;10347006]
My bad if I came off like that...I'm not attributing any of this dilemma to his ethnicity, though I do feel there is a language barrier which may mean that he may not understand that it's his fault. Or maybe he didn't remember me and just thought I wanted my codes checked on. So I really don't know what he's thinking.

Like I said though, I highly doubt that he did it on purpose and am completely understanding. If I had anything against people of Hispanic descent, I wouldn't be with my girl...and I've had lots of work done on my [old] car by Hispanic people. I'm not pissed (yet)...my life has been filled with stuff that goes wrong so at this point it's just an inconvenience; I am a very patient person, heck my "sudden loss of power" thread is still ongoing.

I'm going up there in a couple hours when they open though.

cool bro...no offense taken at all.......let us know what they tell you...

Last edited by ZEUS'O3TL; 01-03-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:28 PM
There's no Acura in

Hopefully all is resolved. They didn't replace anything...pretty much just disconnected the O2 sensor connector and reconnected it. Then they cleared the code and sent me on my way, assuring me that the problem was fixed.

So I leave and drive down a couple blocks. Then I reset the PCM (hehehe....) since that's what the manual says to do. The CEL blinked on startup which means the readiness tests weren't completed (because I reset the PCM). Code hasn't come back yet and no CEL after about an hour of driving.

I think the real test is to see if the code comes back after a cold start since PO141 says that the O2 sensor wasn't responding within the expected amount of time based on coolant temp (e.g., maybe the heater wasn't heating it fast enough or at all).

Then again, maybe I should just replace the sensors...I'm at 118K miles as it is and probably still on the stock sensors.

As far as my experience with this particular shop, I went around 9am, he told me his mechanic wasn't there and would call me when he came. Yet at 4pm I still had not received a call so I just went up there. And there's the mechanic there just sitting watching TV. So I pulled my car in and then this other guy pulled his car in. The mechanic started working on his car first....and left me waiting for like 30 minutes. All he was doing was spraying carb cleaner I guess trying to find a vac. leak. The owner even told me the pipe falling is what's supposed to happen....so yup, won't be going back there anymore.

Last edited by newperson; 01-03-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Instructor

It could be something as simple as the connections on the back of the sensor itself, have them check it out
Old 01-03-2009, 07:02 PM
2G wanting 3G

by the time the cel come back on, if it comes back on, too much time will have passed for you to make this argument. the guy could just say the exhaust never "almost fell and hung on the the o2 sensor wire" in that case its your word against his. on the other hand having a cop come to the shop might freak the owner out enough that he'll fork over the cash to replace the o2 sensor.
i hope the light stays off for your sake and to avoid the hassle.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 AM
There's no Acura in

Well it hasn't come back on since it was cleared it & the PCM reset; guess it's ok.

I think I'm gonna replace the O2 sensors just as preventative maintenance anyway (they may be the reason why I experienced a sudden loss of power a while back); just gotta start saving up for 'em now. I don't want something to happen and then the cat goes bad...then I'm really SOL.

What I'm really worried about though is that if the pipe fell...wouldn't that mean my exhaust manifold is loose? Before this happened my car always looks like it's on when looking at the mufflers (as soon as it is shut off).
Old 01-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Well it hasn't come back on since it was cleared it & the PCM reset; guess it's ok.

I think I'm gonna replace the O2 sensors just as preventative maintenance anyway (they may be the reason why I experienced a sudden loss of power a while back); just gotta start saving up for 'em now. I don't want something to happen and then the cat goes bad...then I'm really SOL.

What I'm really worried about though is that if the pipe fell...wouldn't that mean my exhaust manifold is loose? Before this happened my car always looks like it's on when looking at the mufflers (as soon as it is shut off).
The pipe didnt fall far. Its only movement is because of the flex pipe. No your exhaust manifold isnt loose. If it was you would hear the exhaust leak.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:59 PM
There's no Acura in

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.

What about exhaust still coming out after I turn off the car...that normal? Yesterday I turned the car off, went in the store for about 2 minutes, came out and the exhaust was still coming out the mufflers.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.

What about exhaust still coming out after I turn off the car...that normal? Yesterday I turned the car off, went in the store for about 2 minutes, came out and the exhaust was still coming out the mufflers.
if its cold outside, it could be the moisture from the air on your hot exhaust pipes imo
Old 01-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Team Owner

OK tomorrow is the day if i get my car back from the dealer I am going to remove my mid muffler YES!!!! But probably by the All cali meet hopefully I will have Ws2's
Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Registered TL Driver

OK tomorrow is the day if i get my car back from the dealer I am going to remove my mid muffler YES!!!! But probably by the All cali meet hopefully I will have Ws2's
I think youll love the way it sounds with just the mid muffler removed...I could of let you listen to mine if I could of made it out to the meet.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Team Owner

^ and all you did was replace it with regular piping?
Old 01-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Registered TL Driver

^ and all you did was replace it with regular piping?
Yup.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:48 AM
There's no Acura in

Originally Posted by crazyasiantl
if its cold outside, it could be the moisture from the air on your hot exhaust pipes imo
Makes sense, and yes it has been cold outside (30s and under). Just didn't know if anyone else experienced this or not.

I ended buying new O2 sensors, front & back. Denso OE style for $131 free shipping @ carpart.com. Once I get my new (aka non-air-leaking) air cleaner assembly & O2 sensors I shouldn't have any power problems I hope!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
^ ive noticed it too..its about 40 out here. it usually lasts about 30-60 seconds for me