Remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 10:21 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Remote starter

Has anyone installed a remote starter yet? Any recommendations?
Old 05-23-2001, 10:28 AM

the best remote starter for your vehicle would definitely be the Clifford Intelliguard Solaris. compared to the Viper 5xx's, the Solaris has a coded Valet switch vs. toggle switch. you need to punch in a unique code to disarm the alarm/black jax etc.

the Solaris will also shut down your vehicle if someone tries to open your doors/hood/trunk while it's armed, the viper will only shut off if the engine hood is open. the Solaris is a self contained unit, all the necessary relays are built into the unit itself, whereas the Viper has a bunch of relays connected to each other plus the alarm brain itself.

the Clifford allows you to change the sensititivy of the shock sensors remotely, the Viper requires you to find the shock sensor and turn the potentionmeter for adjustment.

the Clifford also allows you to shut off optional sensors, ie. proximity sensor, tilt sensor and glass sensors etc.

yes, price is bit high but you get what you pay for, as long as the installation is top notch.

what else would you like to know?

Originally posted by Tag66:
Has anyone installed a remote starter yet? Any recommendations?
Old 05-23-2001, 10:42 AM
Racer

How old is it?
How much should I expect installation to be?
Old 05-23-2001, 10:57 AM

how old? the solaris has been out since 1998+ or so, installation varies from $500 to $700 depending on what other sensors you want with it etc...
Originally posted by FlyingPig:
How old is it?
How much should I expect installation to be?
Old 05-23-2001, 09:27 PM
Advanced

I have had remote starters in 3 other cars and have used DEI Valet. It is reasonably priced and I have never had a problem. I just had it installed in the TLS. Usually, because of the toggle, the price installed comes to about $250.
Old 05-23-2001, 10:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

the relays being seperate from the unit is a good thing. if a relay fails, the installer simply replaces it in 2 minutes. if the relays are internal, youll wait a few weeks to have it repaired. dei is the only company that does this and intallers praise them for it

"the Clifford also allows you to shut off optional sensors, ie. proximity sensor, tilt sensor and glass sensors etc."

most systems i know of have that feature

------------------
Follow as i ride
99 Satin Silver
oem kit
ctech exhaust
ctech sways
aem intake
system

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by mr tl on May 23, 2001 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by mr tl on May 23, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-23-2001, 11:45 PM

lemme see, what's the failure rate of a relay? normal wear and tear etc.

luckily, the solaris has 2 wires that allows an installer to install an external relay pack for remote start in case of internal relay failures. 1 wire is the negative output while remote starting and the other wire is used for the starter kill.

what other alarm systems allow you to remotely temporarily disable your optional sensors?

Originally posted by mr tl:
the relays being seperate from the unit is a good thing. if a relay fails, the installer simply replaces it in 2 minutes. if the relays are internal, youll wait a few weeks to have it repaired. dei is the only company that does this and intallers praise them for it

"the Clifford also allows you to shut off optional sensors, ie. proximity sensor, tilt sensor and glass sensors etc."

most systems i know of have that feature

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by dreamSpeeder on May 24, 2001 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by dreamSpeeder on May 24, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-24-2001, 07:51 PM
Advanced

I usually lease for 36 months and through three cars and now one month into the 4th, the DEI w/relay has never given me a problem. I've had it with all of the cars. I usually activate the starter at least once a day, sometimes more, especially in winter. Check with Consumer Reports, they may have something on this topic.

Originally posted by dreamSpeeder:
lemme see, what's the failure rate of a relay? normal wear and tear etc.

luckily, the solaris has 2 wires that allows an installer to install an external relay pack for remote start in case of internal relay failures. 1 wire is the negative output while remote starting and the other wire is used for the starter kill.

what other alarm systems allow you to remotely temporarily disable your optional sensors?