Red-light photo's = speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 09:38 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red-light photo's = speeding ticket

In Orange County, California (and I'm sure many other counties across the U.S.), the police are putting up camera's for people that run red lights. Apparently those offenders running the lights will get an automatic red-light ticket fine sent to them in the mail. They are able to track down by the front license plate and match it to your address, etc...

Anyway... my question is... I heard that if one sprays hair spray on their license plate, the camera will take a picture of a reflection on light colored license plates. Does anyone know that to be true or is this totally "hog wash"...?

thanx
californiacat28@hotmail.com
Old 07-17-2001, 09:47 PM
Pro

I'm not sure about the spray paint thing, but you can buy a piece of plastic to put on your license plate. That will cause your plate to be blurred if you happen to be caught on camera, but I actually think the piece of plastic is illegal anyways.
Old 07-17-2001, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

http://www.fuzzbusters.com/plate_shields.htm

http://www.radarguys.com/radar_plate_shields.htm
Old 07-17-2001, 11:02 PM
Pro

The easy way to get around the red light cameras is...NOT RUN RED LIGHTS. Man, running red lights is more dangerous than sensible speeding IMO. >33% of accidents happen at intersections and running red lights doesn't help. Don't mean to nag but running red lights puts everyone's life in danger.
Old 07-17-2001, 11:11 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Eskimo
The easy way to get around the red light cameras is...NOT RUN RED LIGHTS. Man, running red lights is more dangerous than sensible speeding IMO. >33% of accidents happen at intersections and running red lights doesn't help. Don't mean to nag but running red lights puts everyone's life in danger.
I have to agree. Running red lights and stop signs are a stupid way to get into a very serious accident. Don't do it, please!
Old 07-17-2001, 11:11 PM
Race Director

Re: Red-light photo's = speeding ticket

Originally posted by californiacat28
In Orange County, California (and I'm sure many other counties across the U.S.), the police are putting up camera's for people that run red lights. Apparently those offenders running the lights will get an automatic red-light ticket fine sent to them in the mail. They are able to track down by the front license plate and match it to your address, etc...

Anyway... my question is... I heard that if one sprays hair spray on their license plate, the camera will take a picture of a reflection on light colored license plates. Does anyone know that to be true or is this totally "hog wash"...?

thanx
californiacat28@hotmail.com
Hair Spray?

Old 07-18-2001, 11:33 AM
Instructor

I agree that pushing a light isn't good driving, but the trouble is that many of the communities that use these camaras also set the "yellow" light time to be very short, so there's little or no time to clear the intersection.

Meanwhile, they insert a delay before the opposite direction gets a green light, so there's time for the recently busted offender to get through the intersection safely. This means more tickets, more revenue, etc. The police motto may be "to serve and protect", but the city finance director's motto is more like "to rape and to pillage"

There was a story on one of the news programs a couple weeks back where a lady in San Diego is fighting her ticket and has shown the gov't tactics with the timers. No verdict in at this time.

Luckily, the evil devices haven't made it to NE OH just yet.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:17 PM
Pro

I like to run green light more
Old 07-18-2001, 12:22 PM
Prez & GC, .Net

To clarify...it is NOT a speeding ticket!! A speeding ticket will get you points. A red light running ticket taken with a camera does NOT give you points. That's how most jurisdictions are able to avoid court litigation on these things.

Remember photo radar? That went the way of the dodo bird once folks started suing the police for the use of photo radar. I won't get into the whole legal theory of the lawsuits..but the short story is that if points are given, the use of photo-enforcement products will not be accepted in most courts.

That's why red-light tickets don't give out points. If they do in your jurisdiction...you might have a good lawsuit against the local government and police department.

I think these lights are a great idea. In the DC area....red light running seems to happen more and more. How much does it happen? In Montgomery County, a few interesections were testing the lights...within the first month, they raked in over $100,000 in fines. At $75 per ticket, you do the math. That's over 1333 red light running incidents in ONE MONTH. I think the test only covered 4-6 intersections!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlights of Montgomery County, Maryland's
Red Light Enforcement Camera Program

*Ten cameras will be rotated among fifteen camera sites.
Fine is $75.00

*No points will be issued against vehicle owner's driving record (similar to a parking ticket)
*Insurance companies cannot consider the ticket in calculating insurance rates
*Failure to pay fines will result in inability to renew vehicle registration
*The Police Department and the Department of Public Works and Transportation are working together to identify locations for future cameras
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dizzy
Old 07-18-2001, 09:33 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the clarification Dizzy. It was late and I don't know what I was thinking. I ned to get more sleep.

Actually, I totally agree with NOT RUNNING RED LIGHTS. I don't and never will! But as many of you may know, in L.A. and parts of Orange County, grid lock in intersections are a fact of life in this area and they happen usually without being able to do anything about it. Grid lock here is considered "running a red light" and tickets are being issued.

So now what?

calcat
Old 07-18-2001, 09:36 PM
Drifting

one more link for you, don't know about legality at all

http://www.redlineauto.com/Products/...liminator.html