Red "BRAKE" light on dash, when pressing brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Red "BRAKE" light on dash, when pressing brake pedal

When I started my car this morning and left the driveway heading for work, I noticed that when I press the brake pedal, a red dash light came on with the word "BRAKE". As soon as I came closer to stopping at a stop sign, or when letting off of the pedal, the light would go off. It would come on every time I pressed the brake pedal, but after about 5 minutes of driving, I didn't see that light again.

The brakes worked perfectly fine. I didn't notice anything unusual about them. I pressed them harder than usual, just to be sure. But I generally try to be light on the brakes (as well as the accelerator).

I haven't checked the fluid yet, but I plan to do so today. However, why would it only be intermittent rather than constant if the fluid were low? When I drove the Impala and the fluid got low, the "BRAKE" light came on when I would turn a corner. Filled it up once and never had that problem again. I just don't understand, even if it's just a little low, why the light will come on when pressing the brakes, but not again after about 5 minutes of driving.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by binary_10essee
When I started my car this morning and left the driveway heading for work, I noticed that when I press the brake pedal, a red dash light came on with the word "BRAKE". As soon as I came closer to stopping at a stop sign, or when letting off of the pedal, the light would go off. It would come on every time I pressed the brake pedal, but after about 5 minutes of driving, I didn't see that light again.

The brakes worked perfectly fine. I didn't notice anything unusual about them. I pressed them harder than usual, just to be sure. But I generally try to be light on the brakes (as well as the accelerator).

I haven't checked the fluid yet, but I plan to do so today. However, why would it only be intermittent rather than constant if the fluid were low? When I drove the Impala and the fluid got low, the "BRAKE" light came on when I would turn a corner. Filled it up once and never had that problem again. I just don't understand, even if it's just a little low, why the light will come on when pressing the brakes, but not again after about 5 minutes of driving.
Ive seen this happen before, even on a different car. The fix for it was to just add brake fluid up to the line (the level was low because of changing out the brake pads). Check the fluid level...if its low, I would fill it back to the max line on the master cylinder and then start looking underneath the car for any evidence of brake fluid leaks. Could be a bad caliper, broken or swollen rubber line, etc. Oddly enough Ive seen a swelling rubber line cause the same issue........the line "bubbles out" when you press the brakes, requiring more fluid to fill the space. Once you back off the brakes the bubble goes down and the fluid level in the master cylinder goes back to normal.

Im not sure if the TL has a separate warning lamp for brake light bulbs, so it could be telling you there is a bulb out as well....have someone press the brakes while you are standing outside the rear of the car and make sure you get all 3 lights coming on (repeat the procedure with the headlights on just for good measure)
The following users liked this post:
binary_10essee (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Check your brake fluid. You are probably low (usually a sign that your pads are wearing enough to lower the level. Also check the float on the cap. It has known to stick slightly causing the light to come on intermittently
Old 08-08-2014, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Thank you both for the detailed info. I'll check the fluid levels, check beneath the vehicle for any sign of leaks, check the lights themselves, etc. I'll come back once I figure out what's going on, or if I need more info. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
start with the master cyl cap- that float loves to stick or otherwise fail
to test- flip upside down and observe motion plus light activation
about 35$ for a new cap

based on your cars extensive need of TLC I would not be surprised if the brake fluid had not been changed frequently
For reference the owner book says 1 time EVERY YEAR, or every 3 years MAX! time between brake fluid flush
old fluid has many problems- wiki hygroscopic for info
Old 08-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Team Owner

we do have a separate Brake LAMP out (brake light) warning light
Old 08-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
start with the master cyl cap- that float loves to stick or otherwise fail
to test- flip upside down and observe motion plus light activation
about 35$ for a new cap

based on your cars extensive need of TLC I would not be surprised if the brake fluid had not been changed frequently
For reference the owner book says 1 time EVERY YEAR, or every 3 years MAX! time between brake fluid flush
old fluid has many problems- wiki hygroscopic for info
I think the flush/refill is something I should definitely do anyhow. That crossed my mind this morning. I'll take a look at it this evening (raining right now, plus I'm at work) and I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Instructor

I just checked the fluid and it's right where it's always been. Is there anything I should look for in the fluid, in terms of color or anything? I'm having lunch with a friend of mine today so I'll have him check the brake lights themselves.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by binary_10essee
I just checked the fluid and it's right where it's always been. Is there anything I should look for in the fluid, in terms of color or anything? I'm having lunch with a friend of mine today so I'll have him check the brake lights themselves.
Sounds like the float on the cap was stuck slightly. Make sure it moves up and down freely. That is the only thing that will set the light off. That light wont come on if your brake lights are working or not. That is a different light and would remain on if a bulb were burnt out.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Sounds like the float on the cap was stuck slightly. Make sure it moves up and down freely. That is the only thing that will set the light off. That light wont come on if your brake lights are working or not. That is a different light and would remain on if a bulb were burnt out.
Right, I saw where it was confirmed that the TL has a "BRAKE LAMP" light for bad bulbs. I'll check the float on the cap in a few. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Doesn't the light come on if the parking brake is applied, as well as any pressure imbalance in the two halves of the brake hydraulic system? I've never had a problem with either on hondas, but I assumed it was standard practice among all the manufacturers.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Some of the TSX guys had this problem, nothing wrong with the brakes but the light would come on in the morning and go away after a short period of time.

If your pedal is soft or braking is not what you think is right have it checked out.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:19 PM

Received 5,388 Likes on 3,690 Posts
Sounds like the float on the cap was stuck slightly. Make sure it moves up and down freely. That is the only thing that will set the light off.
Winner. Had the same problem with mine when I got it. Just disconnected the sensor
Old 08-09-2014, 09:51 AM
Team Owner

the brake fluid is a clearish amber color to start, it quickly picks up dirt color and becomes darker- mucky looking inside cap area
if its dark its ready for a flush
reminder to all first time brake flushers/bleeders: special order for the tL is unlike any car I worked on before !!
Driver front then clockwise around the car = LF RF RR LR
due to ABS plumbing I believe

the vac tool method is awesome for moving the total number of ounces of fluid you want pulled thru the system, so its clean clean not just -clean with no bubbles after a few ounces
there is a lot hidden and you want all of it!
If you buy 2 qts of DOT4 you have more than 16oz per caliper available!
the bleeder cup holds 4 oz A really good 4 wheel flush job takes about 1.5 qts of fluid
Old 08-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/emergency-brake-light-comes-while-driving-631449/
01tl4tl (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Team Owner

I hope everyone knows by now to clean the screen filter thing inside brake master cyl when they flush the brake fluid,,every year..at least once every 3 years
that should cut down on the venting issue described in acura service bulletin EE4 linked
Old 08-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Instructor

I haven't encountered the issue since the morning I first saw it. I checked the cap on the brake fluid container the next day, just in case. Everything looked fine. Haven't seen it since, really unsure of what caused it.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Team Owner

clean and tighten the wire connectors to cap
assume you did ck fluid level is at top indicator?- right at the neck basically

a quick spray of brake cleaner thru the filter screen wont hurt and takes a few minutes
noobs: remove screen and clean away from car- must be dry dry before install