Recommendations on S. Bay Area Tint Shops?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 06:27 AM

Post Recommendations on S. Bay Area Tint Shops?

Hello,
New to the BB...
Will be picking up my TL-S from Los Gatos Acura this week...
Could anyone recommend a good tinting shop in the south bay area (CA)? Also, I've looked at previous posts to determine if a metallic tint will affect my Nav. system. Some yes, some no. Any feedback on this as well would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

------------------
------------------------
2002 TL-S w/Nav.
Satin Silver
Trunk/Underbody Spoilers
Old 06-03-2001, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. The salesperson at Los Gatos recommended the same place as well. I called them up and gave me a quote of $375 before tax. A lot, but they claim to go as far as removing the windows during the application process. Mister Tint on Stevens Creek quoted me $575, but that would include a 50% light tint to my windhshield! When I was there, they had just completed a small Benz that looked outstanding with the windshield done. But I think that's really a lot just for tint...

Your recommend told me the same thing about metallic tints interfering with the Nav system. Mister Tint told me he's never heard of the problem with other Nav cars they've done.

Haven't dealt with the service dept. yet, but will post a review of them at a future date.

Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2001, 01:46 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi silverbandit,

congrads on the new car. i bought my TL-S w/ navi from los gatos too. how much did you get yours for? Did Vernom help you? i got mine for $30875 before tax and lic.
Old 06-03-2001, 02:24 PM

Hi paultl,

Thank you all for the welcome.

I paid $33K and some change, with the spoiler, underbody and trunktray. I guess they throw in the wheel locks for free. Yvonne helped me out. I pick it up on Tuesday, can't wait. Any opinions on metallic tint and its effects on the nav?
Old 06-03-2001, 08:40 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got my tint done like 2 weeks ago. THe place is called Extreme Tint & Polish located in a small shop in Santa Clara. They charge 200 flat for 5 windows with a 3 year warranty or 230 with a lifetime warranty. If you want the windshield done thats another 100 bucks. As for the NAVI not working properly, thats wrong. I've been driving around with a metallic tint for 2 weeks now and it seems perfectly fine. I was looking around where the nav antenna might be, and I think its a little stub under the top portion of the rear glass right behind the passenger side. This area shouldnt get affected since the tint never really covers it. I have 55% tint on the fronts and 35% on the rear 3.

------------------
2002 3.2 TL Type S with Navigation
Exterior: Aegean Blue Pearl
At 3% over invoice, who can complain?
Old 06-03-2001, 09:17 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by edgalang:
THe place is called Extreme Tint & Polish located in a small shop in Santa Clara. They charge 200 flat for 5 windows with a 3 year warranty or 230 with a lifetime warranty.
What brand tint do they use? I'm ready to tint my car very soon. $230 isn't bad at all for all 5 windows. What did they do about the rear window dotted area??
How long did it take?

Are they open Saturdays?

------------------
June 10, 11AM - N. Cali / Bay Area Meet - Click Here!
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/phanthavong/mytl.html" TARGET=_blank>

</A>2001 SSM. 02 tails, 02 vent trim, burlwood knob.

Mods? What mods? I can't afford mods, I'm getting married!!
Vin says 2001, but it's really a 2000 with an upgraded cupholder!!
Old 06-03-2001, 09:20 PM

Sorry...too lazy to go all the way to the glove box just to look at the brand. Regardless...it's big enough for them to issue a lifetime warranty. As for the length of time...I think you could get away with it in 3 hours, but I just left it there in the shop during my lunch hour and came back before it was time to go home.

------------------
Old 06-03-2001, 09:25 PM

Talking

Thanks for the tip...

Found the website - http://www.extremetint.com/

It says they use Madico...
Old 06-03-2001, 09:29 PM

It just struck me. It's called Madico. You can read about them in www.madico.com As for the dotted area on top, unfortunately they weren't perfect. I assume it's extremely hard to fill up EVERY SINGLE hole in the dotted area, so I didn't really ***** too much about a few dots that weren't filled. Worse case scenario they could just tint the area thats not dotted if you requested, but they advised me to just cover the whole thing and see for myself. They told me that if I didn't like it or if it affected the NAV in any way, that they'll just cut off the dotted area, so no biggie. One more thing, dont get anything darker than 55% on the front windows. I was suprised how dark 55% looked on my car vs on regular glass they had displayed. Apperantly like on most Hondas, our glass automatically rejects a small % of UV rays and is already slightly tinted.

------------------
Old 06-03-2001, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by silverbandit:
Hello,
New to the BB...
Will be picking up my TL-S from Los Gatos Acura this week...
Could anyone recommend a good tinting shop in the south bay area (CA)? Also, I've looked at previous posts to determine if a metallic tint will affect my Nav. system. Some yes, some no. Any feedback on this as well would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to the board.

I had good luck several years ago on my last vehicle (an SUV) with California Auto Tinting in Campbell. Their number is 408.370.9399. They claimed at the time that many of the local dealers used their services.

The tint that they used on my SUV was a metallic, and held up quite well against fading and peeling. I did notice however, that the tint seemed to interfere with cellphone reception.

I believe the consensus on this board is that metallics interfere with Navi. Other posts on this topic have quoted tint salespeople as recommending against metallics on cars so equipped.

I'd be interested in hearing about any dealings that you have with Los Gatos Acura's service department, as that's where I'll be taking mine for scheduled maintenance.

------------------
2002 TL Type-S
WDP, Parchment, Navi
Custom, High-Performance Molybdenum Muffler Bearings --At least, that's what the salesguy said...
Roadbrew (TM) Dashmount cappuccino machine --Messy & dangerous, but worth it.
Bobbing-head dog figurine in rear window --Stylin!
Old 06-04-2001, 06:36 PM

Talking

Thanks all, for your help and advice!

I'm definitely in a better position to make my decision on the tint.

With best regards...

------------------
----------------
2002 TL-S w/Nav.
Satin Silver
Trunk/Underbody Spoilers
Old 06-04-2001, 11:47 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

It had no problem on the nav. I had it done on my 2001 I30t. It works fine. About removing the windows, I don't think is necessary. I pay $185 with lifetime warranty. You just need to make sure about the shop on how it will treat the dot matrix area.

------------------
2002 Acura TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Parchment Leather