The Real Story on Transmission Updates

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
The Real Story on Transmission Updates

Earlier today, I needed to check on the price of some transmission parts for another car. While I was on the phone, I asked the various transmission shops about Honda 5-speed automatics. I was surprised by some of the responses, so I dug a bit deeper. Here's what I found.

1. Wholesale transmission (a transmission rebuilder): We are not aware of any updates to the clutches.

2. Transtar (largest distributors of transmission parts, worldwide I believe): No updates that we're aware of.

3. Well-Regarded local shop: We do a ton of these. We are not aware of any updates aside from the 2nd gear oil jet (whether it's internal or external) and the ECU. The clutches and the torque converter are the weak spots, there's no fix for them.

4. Acura dealership: Aside from the 2nd gear oil jet and ECU update, none that we are aware of.

5. Raybestos (manufacturer of friction materials): None that they are aware of.

6. Altos (another manufacturer of friction materials and rebuild kits): None that they are aware officially aware of.

I've talked to six different sources, three of which (Transtar, Raybestos and Altos) are extremely reputable sources in the aftermarket. These three companies are the leaders in the transmission industry and they are not aware of any updates aside from the oil jet and the ECU.

So, where are you folks getting your info from? I've yet to see any confirmation (other than hearsay) that there were changes to the remanufactured transmissions aside from the integrated 2nd gear oil jet.

Assuming that my information is correct, if you have an out-of-warranty transmission failure, it doesn't make sense to spend the extra dime on a Honda remanufactured unit. Just have it rebuilt at a reputable shop. As long as you have the oil jet kit installed, the latest ECU software, and a quality, thorough overhaul, there's not much else that you can do.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IIRC, I think forum moderator fsttyms1 once posted photos of the new 3rd gear clutch pack material. File that under hearsay.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:55 PM

I'll be waiting for the pictures.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is something that I am very worried about. I just purchased an 02 TL with 84,000 miles on it and i hope that the transmission last. Only time will tell right??
Old 01-29-2009, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by wdhart3
This is something that I am very worried about. I just purchased an 02 TL with 84,000 miles on it and i hope that the transmission last. Only time will tell right??
The durability of these units varies significantly. A number of users on this forum had very low mileage failures (under 75k). Yet, I personally know of a number of TL owners outside of this forum who have over 110k on their units and they have not had any problems.

I think a number of these failures are quality control related. If you read the stickied thread on this forum about what's wrong with the transmission, the quality control was cited as one of the issues. In addition, the people who I know with over 110k on theirs, they don't drive their car very hard. I know I can't say the same about some people on this site.

Good luck.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:46 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah my tranny was blown at 62k and the new one Acura sent me is already having problems with only 10k on it. I drive my car hard at times but I also baby the shit out of it and drive 85% freeway.

The new tranny seems to double clutch when shifting into 2nd. The VTEC kicks in at 6k! not 5k in 2nd and then starts to double clutch again. Of course this only happens at WOT
Old 01-29-2009, 06:39 AM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
So, no one mentioned a redesigned case to promote better fluid flow? That's interesting- that's what I was pinning my hopes on as mine was replaced in 2005 supposedly after that redesign.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
When my 4th died i spent a considerable about of time (actually got fairly high up on the phone ladder with acura) They said they changed the steels and and clutch pack material and found a way to improve flow with the shaft. Just a line of BS? When i had the last one rebuilt there were different #s for those parts, and the rebuilder said they were different material (he bought parts from my acura dealer who pulled up 2 different part #s). Thats all i know. Its been so long now i dont remember all the details. The rest is just what we have read and found out from members.