Rattle in the moonroof and the brake warning light...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle in the moonroof and the brake warning light...

Been driving my car for a bit and I am trying to find all the small problems before I get past that stage where the dealership will take care of small problems for free. Two things are standing out:

The moonroof rattles. It doesn't rattle when the cover is closed, it doesn't rattle when I have the glass open and it doesn't rattle when I have it vented. It only rattles when the cover is open and the glass is closed. I took a look from the outside today and did a bit of an inspection. I tightened two screws that held small silver things on the tracks. Maybe that did the trick, I don't know, we'll find out tomorrow.

My question is: Is there any typical reason why the moonroof will rattle, and is it able to be easily fixed by me? Because honestly it only rattles on really rough roads and I only hear it when the radio is off, its not that big a deal to me. Not worth it to me to have the dealer disasemble the entire thing only to have "no cause found," then reasemble the thing with a leak.

Second thing: the red BRAKE light comes on in my dash. It only comes on in the mornings when it is chilly, and it only comes on when I press the brake. Thing is, it only happens for like three minutes before the light will go away. My theory is the cailpers or the rotors have moisture on them and it takes awhile for it to evaporate. I also know that the dealer replaced the pads before they sold it to me. Anyone know brakes well enough to tell me whats going on?
Old 10-02-2003, 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Rattle in the moonroof and the brake warning light...

Originally posted by Deity42
Been driving my car for a bit and I am trying to find all the small problems before I get past that stage where the dealership will take care of small problems for free. Two things are standing out:

The moonroof rattles. It doesn't rattle when the cover is closed, it doesn't rattle when I have the glass open and it doesn't rattle when I have it vented. It only rattles when the cover is open and the glass is closed. I took a look from the outside today and did a bit of an inspection. I tightened two screws that held small silver things on the tracks. Maybe that did the trick, I don't know, we'll find out tomorrow.

My question is: Is there any typical reason why the moonroof will rattle, and is it able to be easily fixed by me? Because honestly it only rattles on really rough roads and I only hear it when the radio is off, its not that big a deal to me. Not worth it to me to have the dealer disasemble the entire thing only to have "no cause found," then reasemble the thing with a leak.

Second thing: the red BRAKE light comes on in my dash. It only comes on in the mornings when it is chilly, and it only comes on when I press the brake. Thing is, it only happens for like three minutes before the light will go away. My theory is the cailpers or the rotors have moisture on them and it takes awhile for it to evaporate. I also know that the dealer replaced the pads before they sold it to me. Anyone know brakes well enough to tell me whats going on?
Both your assumptions of the problems are incorrect. The rattling of the sunroof is a known problem through many models of Acura automobiles. You need to go to the dealer, and explain the problem to them. They will apply a squeak resistant tape which will cure the problem.

The second problem with your brake lights most likely isn't caused by moisture in the brakes. My guess is it comes on because one of your rear brake lights is burned out, and that is the way it's notifying you to check. Put some kind of weight on the brake pedal, or have someone press it down, and check the back of the car, if any brake light is burned out, have the dealer replace it for you.

Hope this helps.

take care.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Rattle in the moonroof and the brake warning light...

Originally posted by Deity42

Regarding the sunroof, this is a common problem and the rubber seal needs lubrication. See the dealer, I understand there is a silicone seal they place on the gasket.

Regarding the brake light, is it the light that tells you there is a problem with the bulb or the light that comes on when you apply the parking brake? If its the former, its likely a bulb, and the light normally comes on when the brake pedal is depressed, if there is a bulb problem. If its the latter, could be that the park brake is not fully off, but I doubt this.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Nah, I checked the tails already (actually checked them on the dealer lot and had him replace one before I even took delivery). I was just thinking it might be a problem with my brake fluid. Maybe the dealer installed the bulb wrong?

Its not the parking brake, I checked that already. Its the red light below the temp gauge, its square and just reads "BRAKE." Either way I'll have the dealer check it out when I take it in.

Thanks for the sunroof info! I might have just driven around forever just dealing with the rattle.

Thanks again for the quick replies!
Old 10-07-2003, 02:43 AM
10th Gear

ITS YOUR BRAKE LEVEL SWITCH
Old 10-07-2003, 12:06 PM
Rock Star

im about to get my moonroof fixed first it started when just the sun shield was not being used now it rattles all the time......sux but it will be fixed for free so who cares..........
Old 10-07-2003, 01:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Deity42,

Your moonroof squeaks are covered by a TSB, they will fix it under warranty and again if it re-occurs. You just don't notice it when the shade is closed as the sahde muffles the sound.

I believe that the "BRAKE" warning light is your parking brake (US Models, Canadian models have the (0) tire light),

Vicman

03 TL Type-S SSM
K&N
Old 10-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Update:

Dealer put a "non-squeak tape" on the moonroof - now it is completely silent.

The brake light was coming on because of the sensor on the cap of the master cylinder fluid. Just incase someone else gets this problem.

Both fixed under warranty for free.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:49 PM
Banned

i got a brake light also. What do you mean Sensor on the cap. How do i fix this myself. i do not have warrenty anymore
Old 11-18-2003, 07:13 PM
Intermediate

its actually just the cap on the maser cylinder...has two little wires going to it...alll that needs do be done is disconnect the wires and twist off the cap...could also be due to low fliud level though
Old 11-18-2003, 10:28 PM
Banned

i put fluid in it i the summer. , maybe to much fluid.

ahh. how do i remove the wires. i opend the cap and closed it.
i'll try tomorrow to remove the wires
Old 11-18-2003, 10:48 PM
Instructor

I just had my 03 TL-S in for the tensioner update and had the fix the rattle that occurred whenever the sunroof shade was open. They had to take out the headliner out to fix it. The rattle was not the moonroof - it was the sunshade.