Quick question for debadgers....

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 04:00 PM
The "old" guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quick question for debadgers....

I read the posts regarding debadging....Im going to debadge my toy this weekend and want to know one thing. Does the 3.2TL Type S badge have pins or is it adhesive only? I believe it to be adhesive only from the posts that I have read....but just want to make sure....
Old 08-31-2001, 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It's adhesive only. Using a hair drier to warm up the adhesive makes the whole process much faster.
Old 08-31-2001, 04:06 PM
The "old" guy

Thanks....Know how to do it, just wanted to make sure there were no pins in the Type S badge....

P.S. - this thread may now gracefully sink into oblivion......
Old 08-31-2001, 04:06 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mike
It's adhesive only. Using a hair drier to warm up the adhesive makes the whole process much faster.
I second that.
Old 08-31-2001, 04:23 PM
Instructor

What is the intent behind debadging? Sorry if the question seems ignorant to many of you all. THanks
Old 08-31-2001, 04:42 PM
Instructor

What is the intent behind debadging? Sorry if the question seems ignorant to many of you all. THanks
Old 08-31-2001, 04:58 PM

Well, for me it was to make the rear end look more uniform and clean. Others could also say that they would like to have that mysterious "sleeper" effect. Another reason could be to prevent anyone from scratching your car when they try to rip off your type S emblem. Personally I'd rather do it myself the right way, then have a punk leave scratches all over my trunk while trying to steal the badge with some sort of knife. It's purely a matter of taste, just like how I hated the way the vinly trunk tray mat looked, or how I refrained from getting the moonroof visor since I didnt think it looked sleek enough. In other words, to each his own.
Old 08-31-2001, 07:28 PM
tea elle

When I see a debadged car I either think the guy doesn't want anyone to know he DOESN'T have the top of the line (Like a guy who's got a 528 bimmer, but wants to look like a possible 540 so he takes off the badge), or I figure the driver is really young (or as my woman would say "it looks like some punk drives that car".

Just my opinion (and my woman's).
Old 08-31-2001, 08:24 PM
Racer

I'm glad someone asked this question, because I was curious about it too. Thanks for offering up some reasons why people do it - and they're all very valid. While I certainly respect an individual's right to customize their car in their own way, I'm personally proud that I have a Type-S versus a regular TL (no offense intended to those that don't..) and I can't see removing that distinction.

One of the things I often read about the Type-S is that there's not a significant number of things that differentiate it from the regular TL - but the emblem on the back I think is one of the most visual.

But at the same time, I wouldn't want some punk ripping it off!!!
Old 08-31-2001, 08:40 PM
The "old" guy

Its done....I like the look (as I knew I would)! I certainly understand all schools of thought on this issue. IMO...the A C U R A and the 3.2TL Type S badging is too much. I like the sleek uncluttered look...and it appears much more balanced without the 3.2TL Type S on the right side and nothing on the left. Just call it more symmetrical... Certainly just my opinion...but Im very pleased how it looks.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:45 PM
jps
Racer

OK, has anyone removed the @ and A C U R A?
Old 08-31-2001, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

I like the debadged look too because when you wash and wax your car your towel does not get caught on the emblems and you do not have to get your toothbrush out to get in the cracks. It never seemed to get totally clean. Hated that!! So debadged looks much cleaner and sleeker in my opinion.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:28 PM
jps
Racer

Thats what I'd like to do, but don't want to find pin holes under the emblem...
Old 08-31-2001, 10:37 PM
Bada Bing

I personally like the clean look you get when the emblems are off.

I removed the ACURA but not the Acura symbol...the ACURA is double stuck on just like the 3.2TL & Type S but the symbol has 2 pin holes holding it on...never could figure out why.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Everything is adhered on, except the "@" in the middle. the
"A C U R A " and the "3.2TL" just has adhesive holding it on.

I think the holes are there for centering. Not sure though
Old 08-31-2001, 10:43 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just to add...only the rear A emblem has pin holes underneath. otherwise the "a c u r a", "3.2tl" and "type S" are good to go!
Old 08-31-2001, 10:55 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Indyjenks
this thread may now gracefully sink into oblivion......
Dang, that didn't happen, did it?

I've been thinking about debadging, and after reading this thread, I think everyone has made valid points on both sides. I'm sooo confused!

Actually, I think I'll leave the badges for a while, and take 'em off later, unless anyone who has waited for a while before debadging can tell me that it left any noticeable difference in the paint.

If not: "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Old 08-31-2001, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by tea elle
When I see a debadged car I either think the guy doesn't want anyone to know he DOESN'T have the top of the line (Like a guy who's got a 528 bimmer, but wants to look like a possible 540 so he takes off the badge), or I figure the driver is really young (or as my woman would say "it looks like some punk drives that car".

Just my opinion (and my woman's).
True, but it also works the other way around. I personally like the sleeper look over the overbadged look. Like I mentioned above, to each his own. Even if I drove an M3 I would take the badging off.
Old 08-31-2001, 11:51 PM
Senior Moderator

The badges were getting stolen so I'd rather remove them myself than have some kid mess up my paint.

Originally posted by Lauderdale TL
Old 08-31-2001, 11:58 PM
Pro

Today, after contemplating for a while, i removed the 3.2TL off the right corner. Rear looks for much more balanced, uncluttered. Like it better this way.
Old 09-01-2001, 12:02 AM
Intermediate

most of you were mentioning to use a hair dryer to loosen up the glue under the badge. How how did you have to keep it on for the glue to get loose. Will the hot heat do anything to the car's finish around the badge?
Old 09-01-2001, 12:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Point the dryer at the badges themselves but move it dryer back and forth. As the badges heat up so will the glue. Just don't concentrate the dryer on one area too long and the paint will be fine.
Old 09-01-2001, 01:34 AM
Instructor

Had mine stolen

I had my Type-S emblem stolen but for the record the thief did not mess up the car in any way. In fact if you hadn't known it was there before, you wouldn't have known it was missing. I would hope that the guy who took it did it out of respect and would no more think of messing up your car than he would think of messing up his. Just my opinion.
Old 09-01-2001, 02:32 AM
Racer

wow thats crazy. Took your badge without a mark!
Old 09-01-2001, 07:35 AM
No, you are a dork.

CAN WE KILL THIS THREAD PLEASE?
Old 09-01-2001, 08:43 AM
jps
Racer

Hey Daryl, why kill this thread? There is info here that I wanted to know, and obviously many others want to know.

The A C U R A makes it particularily difficult to clean and wax! i guess I will leave the emblem since it is pinned (and flush to the surface).
Old 09-01-2001, 09:36 AM
Racer

Re: Had mine stolen

Originally posted by eztider
I had my Type-S emblem stolen but for the record the thief did not mess up the car in any way. In fact if you hadn't known it was there before, you wouldn't have known it was missing. I would hope that the guy who took it did it out of respect and would no more think of messing up your car than he would think of messing up his. Just my opinion.
Are you serious? How can you say that anyone STOLE something from you OUT OF RESPECT? You just got lucky that he or she did not mess up the paint because the car is relatively new. Had the car been a year or two old, the emblem would not have come off that easy, and this "RESPECTFUL" criminal wouldn't have even batted an eyelash about messing up your ride to get his loot.

Nothing personal, but where I come from, Stealing is a crime.
Old 09-01-2001, 11:43 AM
Racer

Originally posted by daryl.com
Any particular reason, Daryl? Obviously based upon the responses, people are interested. I myself was interested and learned some info that made me thing twice about debadging. But I don't think I'll do it as I have a lease.....yeah, I could put them back on, but...

I find threads usually kill themselves when they've exhausted their intent.....
Old 09-01-2001, 05:05 PM
tea elle

Are you still here? Go away!
Old 09-01-2001, 05:34 PM
Instructor

Okay listen....

Wash n Wax, have you taken time to think that the thief stole the badge out of a desire to EMULATE me and my fine car rather than harm me? A WANNABE Type-S owner who has some lesser, inferior marque? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as proven by all the kids who are running around with Type-S badges on cars which are obviously NOT Type-Ss' Yeah he stole it because for whatever reason he can't have a TL Type-S now but one day he might be able...I'm suggesting he might have a deeper motivation than just plain thievery, do you understand what I'm saying?????

Daryl.com, what is your problem? Just don't click on the link and you won't have to read the thread.
Old 09-01-2001, 05:49 PM
Racer

Eztider,

You are a much more humanitarian person than me. You are able to find the sweet bite in the sour apple. More power to ya. Nonetheless, stealing is still stealing.

I am in the car wash business. People often times have parts or pieces stolen from their vehicles. Of course, they do not notice this until they come to my car wash, and then they try to blame me.

Okay, so maybe I am jaded.

Nonetheless, stealing is still stealing. Whether out of envy, jealousy, for profit, or just plain malice.

Would you be happy if your kid came home with a Type S emblem around his neck? I can see your son now saying, "Hey dad. I just stole this cool emblem off of some guys car. I was careful not to damage the paint, because that would cost money to fix. Heck, if the guy could afford a TL-S, he can afford to buy a new emblem, right dad?"

To which you would reply, "Nice work son. I'm proud of you."
Old 09-01-2001, 07:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-01-2001, 09:28 PM
jps
Racer

OK, done. The Type S and 3.2TL came off very easily and cleanly. They were alot more serious about the A C U R A... those have a lot of adhesive and this did not come off cleanly. Have to see it in the light of day tomorrow to get a better idea how it came out.
Old 09-01-2001, 09:41 PM
Racer

Believe me Daryl.com, I don't understand many threads, but have learned you ignore the one's that don't pertain and/or interest you. Either you are trying to stir up a response...congrats if you are, or you don't like the subject...then move on!
Old 09-01-2001, 10:33 PM
Drifting

I would love to remove all the emblems from the rear of the car except for the "A" logo and the "Type-S" badge. But that lonely "Type-S" badge might as well read "HEY PUNK, STEAL THIS!"
Old 09-01-2001, 11:05 PM
Racer

While I was at the dealer today, I saw a nice chrome license frame with "Type S" across the bottom. I thought, hmm, this would be perfect. Debadge, and still have that "little something" that says speed. But to my dismay, it's about an inch of chrome that covers the bottom, and here in MO, it covers the damn month and year stickers on the plate, which invites the police to be bothersome. I don't need that.

Still, I'm thinking about getting one anyway and seeing if I can carve two notches out with a Dremel and still have it look decent. Whadaya think?
Old 09-02-2001, 12:28 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by 8ball
While I was at the dealer today, I saw a nice chrome license frame with "Type S" across the bottom. I thought, hmm, this would be perfect. Debadge, and still have that "little something" that says speed. But to my dismay, it's about an inch of chrome that covers the bottom, and here in MO, it covers the damn month and year stickers on the plate, which invites the police to be bothersome. I don't need that.

Still, I'm thinking about getting one anyway and seeing if I can carve two notches out with a Dremel and still have it look decent. Whadaya think?
I bought a chrome license plate holder with "ACURA" in black on the bottom--it looks really classy, but now my TL's rear end looks really busy with emblems and words everywhere. Good thing the KS plates display the dates on the top right corner, though.

If you buy a metal plate and do shave down your plate, make sure you smooth out the exposed metal with sandpaper, then repaint it with somewhat matching paint so that it wouldn't rust. It's a good idea to put a coat of wax on the plate before you put it on so that it lasts a while.
Old 09-02-2001, 01:20 AM
Instructor

Who wins?

>> Heck, if the guy could afford a TL-S, he can afford to buy a new emblem, right dad?" <<

Actually, yes, I can afford to buy as many as they can steal. In fact the minute I found the S emblem was missing I drove directly to the nearest dealership and bought one to replace it. Don't get me wrong; I don't condone stealing. Have you been to the airport lately? Notice how the security screening is really becoming a pain in the butt? Well, that's what the terrorists want. No one has noticed, but the terrorists have won...they've added enough hassle to your life to make you take them seriously.

Same with the badge thieves. If they make you debadge your car because you are afraid they will take your badge, they've won. I saw, f**k them. If they're willing to take the chance I'll catch them stealing my badge, I'm willing to keep buying them, cause frankly I like the look. I bought a Type-S and I'm happy for everyone behind me to know it.

My point was that there are different motivations for stealing the badge. The guy who steals it out of jealousy will think nothing of messing up your car to get it. The wannabe who steals it cause it's cool will take care not to mess up your cool car in the process.
Old 09-02-2001, 11:48 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
I debadged (3.2TL plus Type S only) a while ago, but just for you "new guys", the easiest way to tell a "stealth" TL-S is to look at the headrests. The TL-Ps have solid headrests, and the TL-Ss have the "A" shaped headrests.

:-jon
Old 09-02-2001, 12:49 PM
Drifting

eztider, you have one of the most unique perspectives on thievery and vandalism I've even seen. Stealing is and should be wrong, no matter how "respectful" or careful the thief is not to damage your property. Tell you what: I'll send a really good ninja thief to enter your home and steal that big screen TV that I respect so much (you don't lock your doors or have a home security system do you? That would be just like admitting that the thieves have won!)--don't worry, I'll be sure to unplug all the wires properly and not damage your home--then wait for you to replace it (you bought a house, right? Surely you can afford another TV set), then steal it again next month. How's that for letting the thieves win?

Fact is, there are people out there who think nothing of violating your rights of property. It's an arms race of sorts: thieves get smart, owners get smarter, ad nauseam. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it morally aberrant? Absolutely. Should we throw up our hands and give up? Absolutely not.

It's all about risk. If you live in a high risk neighborhood, you should take steps to avoid theft and damage to your property, because the probability of it happening is high. In a low-crime area, you may get away with fewer precautions. Simply choosing an "I don't care" attitude and claiming victory over the criminals is unwise at best and a sign of denial at worst.

Most people (like me) think of debadging as an improvement to the appearance of the car. But most people (like me again) also realize that the "Type-S" emblem is a vandal magnet. So the risk is yours to evaluate: leave the emblem there and hope that the thief "respects" your car when he vandalizes it, or remove it and avoid the incident altogether?

By the way, I don't mind going through metal detectors and having my carry-ons X-Rayed at the airport at all. The additional hassle was caused by terrorists, but now we've made it that much more expensive and difficult for terrorists to conceal weapons.

Don't get me wrong, I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it wholeheartedly.

Quick Reply: Quick question for debadgers....