Quick question about the VSA dash light

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Quick question about the VSA dash light

i brought my car into my mechanic yesterday because my VSA light and the "!" light was lit on my dash. Acura had said i needed a left front speed sensor, and a new battery to take care of the other codes that the car was giving. I had both the sensor and battery replaced, and i get the car back and every few start ups (not all the time) both VSA lights will come back on. is this a result of the codes not being reset, or is this a sign that the problem hasnt been solved yet with the repairs i had done? Also, if it is just because the codes havent been reset is there anyway i can reset it myself without bringing it to someone? any help would be much appreciated.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is normal for the dash lights to come on for a second when you first start the car, however they should go off right away. If they stay on, take it back to the dealer and tell them to finish the work that you paid them for.
Did they say they had to replace the battery in order to clear the codes? That is BS!
Old 01-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
If the battery was very weak it will cause running problems in a major way.
That would make for other codes.
A Battery that last even 1 day past its warranty... is considered exceptional lifespan!
3-4 years is normal considering the tight hot confines of the engine compartment

In case you dont have the owner manual here is the online free link
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp
Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Oh Hullow

well, i needed a battery in the first place... along with the speed sensor. When i took my car to acura it came up with a number of codes 3 of which my service advisor said was related to the battery. He also said in addition to the battery i needed to replace the left front speed sensor. I took this information to my mechanic and had him perform the 2 repairs for me. My question is does the vsa light turn off on its own once the repairs are made, or does the mechanic have to manually reset the vsa light himself after fixing the problems? im curious to know this because every couple of start ups the vsa lights will stay on, sometimes they wont. My concern is whether the problem is fixed and its just a matter of resetting the codes, or if the car's computer is detecting more problems.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
If its still on its not fixed, or there is another problem yet. Bring it back
Old 01-17-2008, 06:54 PM
02 NBP TL-S W/Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle Description: 2004 Acura TL 3.2L, Eng Des J32A3

Customer Concern: VSA lamp is on and has a code 84 for the Sensor Neutral Position Memorization.

Helpful Hints:

Tests: NOTE: Do not press the brake pedal during this procedure.
1. Park the vehicle on a flat and level surface.

2. With the ignition switch OFF, ground the SCS terminal of the OBDII connector. Brown wire in cavity 9.

3. Turn the ignition switch ON with the brake pedal position switch released. The ABS indicator comes on for 2 seconds and goes off.

4. After the ABS indicator goes off, press and release the VSA OFF switch once within 0.5 seconds.

5. After the ABS indicator comes on, press and release the VSA OFF switch once within 0.5 seconds. The VSA activation indicator blinks two times and goes off in 1 second, then the system completes the VSA sensor neutral position memorization.
When the ABS indicator, VSA indicator and VSA activation indicator go off, the memorizing is done. If the indicators do not go off, retry these steps.
Turn the ignition switch OFF, and disconnect the ground from the SCS terminal.

Potential Causes: Sensor Neutral Position Memorization needed

Diagnostic Codes: 84

Category: Anti-Lock Brakes/Traction Control
Diagnostic Codes

give this info to your mechanic, i had to have this done a couple weeks ago. altho i tried resetting myself and it didnt work, ended up costing me 1/2 hr labor for the dealership to reset lights. they told me it would need to be done any time a sensor was changed anywhere in the abs, traction control, VSA systems.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Oh Hullow

im going to take my car tomorrow to acura ill have them read/clear the codes... gotta pick up the plates for the 08 mdx anyway