Question about oxygen sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about oxygen sensor?

Ok, last week my engine light came and sometime the TCS would come on too. I took it to autozone, and they say it was the oxygen sensor (bank #1) and tell me it was the rear or back of the catalyst converter. Today I went online and gonna place an order, but want to make sure, so I ask the guy online again. And he say it was the front. what the hell?? Can somebody help me on this or some of you guys have the manual that can check on it? The front will cost $90 and the back will cost $120, I just don't want to order it wrong, because it's will cost 20% for a restoking fee and all the order hassle.
Thank you for your comment and I need a respond as soon as possible, because the oxygen sensor is killing my gas, I loss like a 100 miles per tank.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
What was the OBDII code number?

There's no oxygen sensor behind the catalytic converter in our cars. There's one before which is the primary sensor, collecting air/fuel ratios and other important data. The secondary is located directly inside the catalytic converter and only monitors the efficiency of the catalytic converter.

Chances are, it's your primary that is blown. I'm on my 4th primary in 40k miles. It's not normal, and if you're going through o2 sensors like I am, then there's something wrong with your car. But I'm working on some possible solutions to fix the problem.

By the way, I was getting just over 9 mpg when the last primary sensor took a shit.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Advanced

To: Pure Adrenaline
What was the OBDII code number? I have no idea? all from what they told me is the oxgen sensor #1 or bank #1. but from your comment, that I should get the $90 price tag? Is that the primary sensor? and how hard it is to replace?
Old 05-16-2005, 06:43 PM
Dragging knees in

Yeah, that's about the going price of a primary O2 sensor (OEM).

Make sure to buy OEM if you want to retain your factory warranty, because using an aftermarket O2 sensor is grounds for invalidating the warranty on the PCM. Contact Tim at hondacura world@aol.com (remove the space in-between) and tell him Aloysius sent ya. (Of course, this isn't my real name; it's an inside joke )

To replace the O2 sensor, you must jack up the car and get underneath. Directly underneath the engine, you will see where the headers come into one pipe. Just after the collector, you will see the O2 sensor bolted into the pipe.

Before you unscrew it (size 21 or 23mm or around there.. can't remember for sure), trace the green wire up the engine bay and have someone else watch from the top of the engine bay with a flashlight (it's not easy to locate unless you know what you're looking for). The green wire leads to a harness which you should unplug before unscrewing the O2 sensor. The green wire is also attached to a black plate by two white clips (you can break those to take them off the black plate if you want; the new O2 sensor will come with the new white clips).

You can either unclip the wire from the black plate, or take off the black plate altogether. I prefer to take off the plate (8 or 10mm bolt; I'm so bad with memorizing bolt sizes.). But it's up to you.

Anyway, once the wire is off the plate (or the plate is off) and the harness is unplugged, unscrew the O2 sensor from the A-pipe (that would be the collector pipe where the O2 sensor is plugged into).

Now just reverse the procedure to put in the new one. Screw in the O2 sensor first, then attach the wire to the black plate, and secure the harness.

It's a good idea to unplug the battery (just the negative terminal) before you start the project, because it will give the PCM enough time to reset itself, and it's also a good idea to disconnect the battery when doing anything electrical, anyway. Just remember to have the radio anti-theft code handy and navigation code if you have navi in your car. The auto window feature can be reset by holding the button in the up position for 5 seconds; the memory seat function is self-explanatory.

Good luck.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Advanced

Thank Pure Adrenaline for the direction, it will helpfull when I'm replacing it.

I got one last question for you. When you say get the OEM o2 sensor, it's the DENSO or the BOSCH brand name?

Thank again, I'm really preciated.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Dragging knees in

That would be Denso. Denso supplies numerous OEM parts to Acura including but not limited to, O2 sensors, radiator, spark plugs, and other various components.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
just get one of these lil babies and screw the sensor

http://www.casperselectronics.com/Me...ory_Code=honda
Old 05-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Dragging knees in

I wouldn't get an O2 simulator for the primary sensor, because all it does is send out a constant reading. Now, if there was something really wrong with the engine, then the PCM won't be able to compensate to protect the motor, and that could be disastrous.

I would only use a simulator for the secondary sensor (catalytic converter). That one is useless.