Question about clearing snow off car

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Question Question about clearing snow off car

Hey guys, this is my first winter with my new TL (hate snow), and I have somewhat of a basic question.

I never paid attention with my old white accord, but would using a soft bristle snow brush to clear the snow off my TL somewhat scratch the hell out of the clear coat?
I suppose this question would only apply to those who have to suffer in a wintery climate like me.

I need to move somewhere where winter doesn't really exist.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope shouldn't. I live in NY and have a 00 tl and never have had a problem with any type of bristle.

You don't need to move where there isn't snow haha you just have to learn to have fun in it
Old 12-04-2008, 08:29 PM
spaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just use my hand and de-icer for the windows.
sucks parking on the street in the snow in seattle though... i'm just happy i don't live on a hill.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by tegkid
i just use my hand and de-icer for the windows.
sucks parking on the street in the snow in seattle though... i'm just happy i don't live on a hill.
That works fine unless you have 2 feet of snow on the car lol
Old 12-04-2008, 08:47 PM

Haha, thanks for the responses guys. It's tough to have fun in a fwd car. I used to be able to get my tail out with the accord cause there was a lack of weight in the rear end, but in the TL I simply get major understeer.

At this point I'm pretty sure my clearcoat has enough swirls, scratches, micro-marring and all that nasty looking shit that clearing snow wouldn't make much of a difference...

Come spring I'm going to try and find someone in Edmonton who will make my car's paint look new again. It's too bad that one member Phee is so far away, or there's that other member, a bit older of a guy (can't remember his name, drives a black 3rd gen); both of them do amazing work.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Pro

Eh I beg to differ. You just have to learn to drive it a little different. Once you find that golden ratio of speed parking brake and accel. youll have a blast
Old 12-04-2008, 09:14 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i hear this works wonders..

http://cozywinters.com/shop/sno-brum.html

and i don't use the bristle side anymore, it does cause micro-marring in your clear.. i use the squeegee side of my brush now.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
i only remove snow off my windows, no where else.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Racer

i wish i could be in this situation. in FL its hotter then hell out everyday, and our winter is like 60-70, although so far its been rather cold. still never seen snow. you could just move here if your looking to avoid snow though haha
Old 12-04-2008, 10:10 PM

rp guy thanks for the suggestion, that sounds like a great idea.

Volly believe me I would like to do what you do, but i cannot drive around with a shit load of snow all over my car.

And Ryan, well...one of the last places I'd move to to avoid winter is florida haha.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:13 PM

Also, Rp guy we need to meet up some time in the spring. I think you're one of the only other edmonton members on here.

I'd really like to see your CL.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Racer

haha the worst is getting in your car with black leather when everything you touch burns you, and your sticking to the leather, and its over 100 outside but your more then welcome to come her hahaha
Old 12-04-2008, 11:08 PM

Maybe for a visit? Haha. I can't stand the crazy heat. I don't want all year round hot, hot, hot, but more so just no snow.

I'll probably move out to the west coast of Canada once I'm out of university
Old 12-04-2008, 11:58 PM
T-Swzy

i just brush off my glass and let wind take care of the fluff elsewhere. if it's really thick just clear it down to about an inch off the body of the car. wont mar your clear coat and you'll be drivin just fine
Old 12-05-2008, 06:34 PM
There's no Acura in

What's this clearcoat you guys are talking about? Wouldn't rain and carwashes destroy it anyway (if it exists)?
Old 12-05-2008, 06:40 PM
spaz

Originally Posted by newperson
What's this clearcoat you guys are talking about? Wouldn't rain and carwashes destroy it anyway (if it exists)?
you should really use google before speaking pal.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:58 PM
There's no Acura in

I was being sarcastic, but sorry, it just sounds funny: people afraid to brush snow off their car so they don't damage some invisible stuff.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:38 PM
T-Swzy

I was being sarcastic, but sorry, it just sounds funny: people afraid to brush snow off their car so they don't damage some invisible stuff.

invisible? please leave sarcasm to people who know what they're talking about. the only thing worse than assholes are people who talk out of their assholes
Old 12-05-2008, 09:38 PM

This invisible stuff you speak of happens to be the reason why our paint can look new after years of abuse, simply by taking care of it.

Don't even pretend you haven't seen a nice car with a molested clearcoat in direct sunlight and not thought how terrible it looks.

I don't really find it a laughing matter, nor do I think most guys who actually give a shit about their car's paint would.

Do you even own a TL or are you some random troll who posts useless shit to annoy other members?
Old 12-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jwskier187
Once you find that golden ratio of speed parking brake and accel. youll have a blast
how do we do that in the auto TL? I am looking for parts so I can put the cls6 center console in my car so I have a hand brake!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 AM
There's no Acura in

Smile

Wow, sorry I made you guys cry over nothing. Calm down! No I have never heard of clearcoat before this thread but refusing to brush snow off your car is still amusing. You ever been cruising and the snow on the hood flies in your face on the windshield? Or come to a stop kind of hard and all the snow/ice on your roof suddenly blankets your windshield?

...and thanks to tegkid, I've done some googling...a brush with feather tipped bristles and you won't damage your clearcoat. Voila. But I got the impression that you guys refuse to even touch the snow even with that!

Originally Posted by TheMegalodon
This invisible stuff you speak of happens to be the reason why our paint can look new after years of abuse, simply by taking care of it.
OK, I'll give you that, call me crazy but not even touching the car where it has snow on it (even if you have the right tool that won't scratch the clearcoat) is just pointless.

Don't even pretend you haven't seen a nice car with a molested clearcoat in direct sunlight and not thought how terrible it looks.
Can't say that I care about how other cars look that much. If those pictures that Razzi posted are what a molested clearcoat looks like, lol, my old car had lots of swirls; guess I now know it was my clearcoat. Had I known about it back when I had my old car would it have changed anything? Nope.

I don't really find it a laughing matter, nor do I think most guys who actually give a shit about their car's paint would.
If you say so.

Do you even own a TL or are you some random troll who posts useless shit to annoy other members?
What's it matter to you? Do you have to own a TL to post in this forum? You hear one thing you don't like and you think I'm a troll who annoys people. Or maybe
it's because I posted in your thread. Sorry you feel that way, but I'm not one for wasting mine or other peoples' time or gaining enemies.

PS: This is my first winter too in my TL, let's compare our paint in February/March (and I live in Chicago). The best of luck to you.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:06 PM
T-Swzy

snow is what? a drop of water. that's what it is. you leave 1 inch of snow on your car and what happens? it flies off at 60 mph. rain falls down faster than snow. that tells you what, rain is heavier? a little more 2nd grade logic tells you what? driving in the rain at 60mph doesnt damage your car, why would snow flakes flying off someone else's car be a problem?

1 inch of snow coming down your windshield when you stop? 2 things
1. if you've got 1 inch of snow on the roof of your car and it comes down, you're braking too fast, especially in snow weather.
2. windshield wipers don't add horsepower, guess what they do very well tho?

and lastly, what you do with your car is none of my business, crash it, paint it pink. what ever. dont laugh at other people when they try to protect their investment by taking care of a part you didnt know existed
Old 12-06-2008, 04:43 PM

Wow, sorry I made you guys cry over nothing. Calm down! No I have never heard of clearcoat before this thread but refusing to brush snow off your car is still amusing. You ever been cruising and the snow on the hood flies in your face on the windshield? Or come to a stop kind of hard and all the snow/ice on your roof suddenly blankets your windshield?

...and thanks to tegkid, I've done some googling...a brush with feather tipped bristles and you won't damage your clearcoat. Voila. But I got the impression that you guys refuse to even touch the snow even with that!

OK, I'll give you that, call me crazy but not even touching the car where it has snow on it (even if you have the right tool that won't scratch the clearcoat) is just pointless.

Can't say that I care about how other cars look that much. If those pictures that Razzi posted are what a molested clearcoat looks like, lol, my old car had lots of swirls; guess I now know it was my clearcoat. Had I known about it back when I had my old car would it have changed anything? Nope.

If you say so.

What's it matter to you? Do you have to own a TL to post in this forum? You hear one thing you don't like and you think I'm a troll who annoys people. Or maybe
it's because I posted in your thread. Sorry you feel that way, but I'm not one for wasting mine or other peoples' time or gaining enemies.

PS: This is my first winter too in my TL, let's compare our paint in February/March (and I live in Chicago). The best of luck to you.
Generally people who join a bloody TL enthusiasts forum do so because, guess what, THEY OWN A TL! OMG Breaking news hey. Other members that don't own a TL did at one point, but chose to continue their contributions to this forum.

Of course I'm going to brush the snow off my car if it's piled up quite a bit, BUT the entire point of my whole thread is wouldn't wiping snow of your DIRTY car (which I should've pointed out in my initial post) bad for your paint? Essentially what you're doing is scraping dirt across your clear.

Also, if you plan on having any credibility in this forum and care to have you future questions answered, drop the ignorant douchebag attitude and make informed contributions to other member's threads. If you don't have an answer for someone then shut your damn mouth until you become knowledgeable enough to contribute worthwhile posts.

The point of these forums is for TL owners to share their knowledge about our cars, support each other's modification endeavors, and enjoy viewing each other's rides and all the good times members have.
It is NOT for members to throw uninformed sarcasm around.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:59 PM
12volt Technician

I just go nuts on the windows and usually leave the rest, unless its so bad that its going to fly into my windshield. Plus if you get alot on your car and you 'carve' the snow just right you can make a sweet hood scoop!
Old 12-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Generally people who join a bloody TL enthusiasts forum do so because, guess what, THEY OWN A TL! OMG Breaking news hey. Other members that don't own a TL did at one point, but chose to continue their contributions to this forum.

Of course I'm going to brush the snow off my car if it's piled up quite a bit, BUT the entire point of my whole thread is wouldn't wiping snow of your DIRTY car (which I should've pointed out in my initial post) bad for your paint? Essentially what you're doing is scraping dirt across your clear.

Also, if you plan on having any credibility in this forum and care to have you future questions answered, drop the ignorant douchebag attitude and make informed contributions to other member's threads. If you don't have an answer for someone then shut your damn mouth until you become knowledgeable enough to contribute worthwhile posts.

The point of these forums is for TL owners to share their knowledge about our cars, support each other's modification endeavors, and enjoy viewing each other's rides and all the good times members have.
agreed, i just joined a local forum for enthusiast in my state... i only post something there once a month because if i do have something to say, some dumb cunt will blast off explaining his/hers rediculous opinions that no other reader could possibly care about... the greatest thing about this forum is the respect that every member has for eachother, why i stick on it all the time.....
acurazine FTW

Last edited by bigeshorte45; 12-06-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Pro

If you say so.

With the way you seem to come off in this thread I'm not sure anyone here would care what your car looks like...
Old 12-06-2008, 06:54 PM
There's no Acura in

Thumbs up

The only one who came close to giving me help was tegkid (when it was noticed that my statement may have been invalid). Everyone else just wants to blast me and play the "I'm smarter than you" game. I don't play games. I don't argue. The approach taken by other members in their response didn't help anyone in the end. Someone could've just said a clearcoat is this, withstands that, but can be damaged by those and that could've been end of story. And why didn't I know what a clearcoat was? Because I didn't recall any mention of it in the Owner's Manual which I read front to back the night I drove my TL home. I didn't say that "just because" I wanted to annoy someone.

I guess my response was perceived negatively...sorry that you think I'm attacking you, that was never my intent....but unfortunately that's the Internet for ya. There's no one way to read something.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Pro

That right there was why people said what they did. Next time maybe you should explain that you truly didn't know instead of being sarcastic about it...
Old 12-07-2008, 04:07 AM
(ಠДಠ)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only one who came close to giving me help was tegkid (when it was noticed that my statement may have been invalid). Everyone else just wants to blast me and play the "I'm smarter than you" game. I don't play games. I don't argue. The approach taken by other members in their response didn't help anyone in the end. Someone could've just said a clearcoat is this, withstands that, but can be damaged by those and that could've been end of story. And why didn't I know what a clearcoat was? Because I didn't recall any mention of it in the Owner's Manual which I read front to back the night I drove my TL home. I didn't say that "just because" I wanted to annoy someone.

I guess my response was perceived negatively...sorry that you think I'm attacking you, that was never my intent....but unfortunately that's the Internet for ya. There's no one way to read something.
i smell some hypocrisy.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:25 AM
There's no Acura in

Wow this thread has really blown up. I give up. I'm sorry I said anything, please forgive me & my ignorance.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:36 AM
T-Swzy

good. welcome to AZine
Old 12-07-2008, 12:51 PM
There's no Acura in

Yup, sometimes you just gotta know when to shutup. Bad judgement on my part.

Now about the actual topic at hand, this thread prompted me to actually take a look at my paint. How ironic that I have swirls. Is the damage already done to the paint or can the swirls be eliminated with an application of clearcoat?
Old 12-07-2008, 01:50 PM
spaz

once again man. google is your friend.

just look up clearcoat and swirling and you'll start to learn A LOT.
and if you like acurazine threads over other places then just search
"site:acurazine.com clearcoat swirls" or w/e
Old 12-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Pro

Yup, sometimes you just gotta know when to shutup. Bad judgement on my part.

Now about the actual topic at hand, this thread prompted me to actually take a look at my paint. How ironic that I have swirls. Is the damage already done to the paint or can the swirls be eliminated with an application of clearcoat?
Nope you should be able to buff those out with some wax. Just wait till summer rolls around again and take some time to really get a good buffing job done. Should see some nice results.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:14 PM
T-Swzy

https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/

those guys are so good at restoring clearcoats it's ridiculous.

run a finger through your paint, can you feel your fingernail catching on anything? if not, chances are your clearcoat is only slightly damaged, ie. not super deep all the way down to your actual paint, and can be buffed out by anyone with an orbital

those guys in the wash and wax forum are really really good at taking care of the exterior. it's overwhelming when you first read it. but i just check a thread a day and the knowledge compiles