Purchasing Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 10:07 AM
PAW
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Purchasing Help!!

I trying to purchase an '03 Type S in Anthracite with Navi. Unfortunately, there are none available in Colorado. Two sold the week before I started looking. I'm willing to special order from the factory and wait. I've used Autobytel, Acura.com, talked to one local salesman in person and via email. Talked to the internet sales managers. Who's I've since learned are usually rookie salesman in training. The best price I got was $32,620 + $289 dealer handling + tax, title and tag. I've try the fax attack. Yesterday I faxed all the dealers in Colorado, Uath, New Mexico, Kansas (only one), Nebraska (I thought they only drove trucks and tractors Sorry, I couldn't resist.) I've got NO response. No phone call, no email and no fax. I WANT THIS CAR!!!! But, I will not be robbed to own it!! I'm willing to pay up to $32,000. I've seen better deals mentioned ($31,500 was the best and I've seen it a couple of times in recent threads). I'm willing to travel/fly to another state to pick it up or have it shipped to me. Any suggestions!?!? I may try auto brokers or the buying service at AAA. I'm also thinking about physically going to the dealers with my firm price and see what happens.

Here is the fax I sent out:

July 31, 2002

Dear

I am looking to purchase an Acura TL Type S in Anthracite with Navigation this week. I am actually willing to complete the transaction today.

My research has uncovered the following monetary facts for this vehicle:

Type S MSRP $31,330
Navi MSRP $2,150
Destination fee $500
Total List $33,980

Type S invoice price $28,553
Navi invoice price $1,957
Dealer holdback $940 (from Consumer Reports)

Dealer cost (Invoice prices + destination fee – dealer holdback)
$30,070

Over the next three days I’ll be taking bids from any regional dealers interested in my business. After selecting the most attractive bid, I will formally secure financing for purchase within one week.

If you bid, please include all costs. The bid should include all fees and taxes, including dealership preparation fees, title costs, destination fees and licensing fees. Please provide an itemized list breaking down the individual costs.

If this exact vehicle is available at your dealership, please include the VIN # and actual vehicle mileage. If this exact vehicle is not available, I am willing to special order from the factory. If a special order is required, please provide an estimated delivery date. I would expect this to be 6 – 8 weeks given the fact that the vehicle is assembled in Ohio. Once the factory processes the order, I would expect an actual build and delivery date. With a spot sale or special order, I will be happy to give you a reasonable, refundable deposit via credit card today.

I have not “shopped” your dealership in the past year. Because of this, please consider this bid to be a “house sale”. All bids must be received by Friday August 2nd at 4 PM MST to be considered.

Thank you for your time and interest. If you choose to bid, please fax your fully itemized bids to Aubrey Whitley at (303) 999 9999. As this is a community fax machine, I recommend you phone me or email after you transmit your fax. That way, I’ll be assured of receiving it. Again, thank you for your time in advance and I look forward to doing business with you.

Aubrey Whitley

W: (303) 999 9999
H: (303) 999 9999
F: (303) 999 9999
Email: aubrey.whitley@work.com

TIA
Old 08-01-2002, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

You should be able to find one for $31.5k or so.... possibly a little higher as the supply seems to be behind demand in your area. Out of curiousity.... have you tried Carsdirect.com? I'm wondering what kind of price they'd quote on there....
Old 08-01-2002, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by juniorbean
You should be able to find one for $31.5k or so.... possibly a little higher as the supply seems to be behind demand in your area. Out of curiousity.... have you tried Carsdirect.com? I'm wondering what kind of price they'd quote on there....
Well ignoring the whole lack of supply where he lives, I used Carsdirect.com and was quoted at $30,600 for a 2003 TL-S w/o Navi. I didn't think that price was very competitive, and was able to get a price of $29.5k for my car (this did not include destination fee, taxes, and tags).

Hope that helps give you an idea.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:59 PM
PAW
Instructor

Pulled the trigger!

Montano Acura from New Mexico called around lunch. I spoke to James a sales guy. They have the exact car in stock still wrapped in plastic inside and out! He ask me my price. I said $32K was my top dollar. I thought about $31.5K but didn't want to lose it and have to continue searching. I figured $500 was piddly. James, the salesguy, talked to sales manager. They agreed. I had him check the mileage (10 miles on the odo!) and fax me the VIN #. I verified with Acura Customer Service that it was indeed a Anthracite Type S with Navi. I wanted to ensure they weren't trying to pull a fast one and sell me a TL-P w/o Navi for that price. I called back and we discussed the delivery. Their going to ship it via car carrier for $200. Heck a friend and I can't drive to NM, stay in a decent hotel and drive back two cars for that price! I'm sure my wife would not want to go. Her mom is coming in Friday for a week to visit with the grandkids. HMMM!! Maybe I should drive down to NM to pick it up?!?! NAHH!! My mother-in-law is pretty good. Once we finish some paper work, the car should be on it's way next week. All in all a painless transaction. So, far! James did try a few dealer tricks. When I called back to place the deposit, I got the "Some one else is looking at it" line. He also mentioned that they are remodeling the dealership to Acura standards. Because of that Acura sent them an extra shipment?!?! It was clear to me how the two were related. The owner was there today and the sales manager wanted to "show some sales" for the day. Whatever! I'm excited and can't wait. Heck, I've even for two pair of Polk DX6s waiting to be installed and the Type S sills ordered. My wife thought I was crazy to buy stuff for a car I didn't own yet. Now I need to get a auto inspector type person to take a look at it and verify everthing is OK. OH BOY! OH BOY!
Old 08-04-2002, 09:14 PM
Pro

Good news!

The fax attack will work every time, and always always be patient, dealers feed off eagerness and desire. No big surprise you got a call towards the end of a month when Sales Managers are on the dealers backs about quotas.

One thing I would change in your letter - call the dealerships ahead of time and get the name of the Sales Manager and fax blast him or her directly - they often have their own fax number!

If you get an "Internet Manager", you're wasting time, that is typically a regular dealer just printing emails and handing them off to the dealer of the week.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:08 AM
10th Gear

Congrats! I used the fax attack as well, and for those considering it...Don't mention financing. I would suspect that you may have received fewer replies because of the statement about "securing financing". At that point, to the dealer, you are not a qualified buyer, you are at best a maybe.
BTW, Acura dealers also receive a "floor planning allowance" in addition to holdback. If memory serves, it is 2% of the MSRP. What they receive in the way of meeting their customer satisfaction is anybodys guess.