Power Steering Pressure Hose Replacement Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Skimritch why ours pressure hose do not have rubber holders for difference of TL NOT S. Is it enough just unscrew that two 10 mm bolts at frame and lift "holder". Holders are visible in video at 3:50 and 3:59 and in post #9. Sorry I can not edit post after 15 min.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbsitum
You will never take of cat without cutting it. I guess should be bend. Edit bend line not cat.
Just so I understand you correctly, you are saying it would be better to slightly bend the hose than attempt to take off the catalytic converter?
Old 08-20-2017, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MattW.
Just so I understand you correctly, you are saying it would be better to slightly bend the hose than attempt to take off the catalytic converter?
Jup. Wait for answers of people who done it before. I will try to do like you next weekend. But no way you can mess with cat.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Did it today. Pain in a. Important thing is, if you have flare nut at rack end, to bend properly rack end of pipe otherwise you will have royal problems to screw flare nut. I had to call a mechanic voodoo to help me screw it. As soon he show up he said pipe must be more bend. So we did that somehow together. I cut rubber bushings from old pipe and put at new one. Only closed driver side bracket didn't bother with passanger side. When you screwing that bracket see from the top how bracket sit in housing. I fight that screw for one hour until look at it from top and saw that i need push bracket little more so screw can catch hole.

Last edited by bbsitum; 08-27-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:32 PM
3rd Gear

Smile

Jup. Wait for answers of people who done it before. I will try to do like you next weekend. But no way you can mess with cat.
I took your advice and didn't mess with the cat. It took a very long time but I finally got it in. Probably took me much longer than it would a more experienced person. It just took muscle and a little creativity to get it to bend the right ways. I took it out and compared it to the original to help me get an idea. Also, although the bolts looked almost exactly the same, I spent probably about 30 minutes trying to screw one in and realized (because I had taken a video before and told myself what goes where) that I should have been using the slightly shinier bolt. That's the only difference I noticed but it worked immediately. It helps to have a second person. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:43 AM
Advanced

And here is video for DIY - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9im63gO5hU . I found it at youtube. Tried edit above post, it said only 15min. Ok but it is why I make new post.

Thank you for posting this. I wonder if this is the same concept on a 2004?

I swear I continue to run into a million problems with my TL, ever since I bought it, but I figure, I'll have almost a brand new car by the time this is all said and done.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jwoods4290

I swear I continue to run into a million problems with my TL, ever since I bought it, but I figure, I'll have almost a brand new car by the time this is all said and done.
My is 265K and drive like champ. Yes I had to fix that and this in 3,5 years how long I owe it but now it is champ. No any oil, fluid leaks either. New stereo head unit so I can listen to FLAC and mp3.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by jwoods4290

Well, given the age of our cars, it may be worth it to replace the low pressure hoses and flushing the power steering fluid as well, they run a few bucks. Heck, even the packaging for the high pressure replacement hose suggests doing this.

That will get things looking new again for sure!

Old 03-06-2021, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Well 3 years later "new" power steering pressure hose that I brought from you-pull is leaking and even somewhat at exhaust and make smoke. At few occasions it even was a lot smoke, probably small fire. Where to buy it? At internet they sell it for 50$ but in Autozone and crew it is 170$ and so. Carparts.com say it is 50. Is it ok or I should go again to Rockauto.com. Not fan of OReilly, bought there a transmission line and it start leak in one year. Leak at power steering hose is, like usually, where metal crimp meet rubber. Thought for a while to use some sealant but as I learned at internet that there is 1000 psi I give at it.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

If you go rockauto, I wouldn't go with the Ac Delco. I did thinking quality part, but because the diameter of the hose is smaller, there is an audible whine when turning the wheels.

I'd just shell out thee $150 on the oem parts site; since it's not an easy job to do in the first place.

I saw that the manufacturer of the original hose was about $30 less than the oem site, if anyone has the orignal hose and sticker with model number that would great!
The following users liked this post:
bbsitum (03-21-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^ Ordered Sunsong from rock auto. So you think it is where whine come from? New used one that I brought from U pull in 2017 was whining for 2 years. Hope sunsong will not whine. First was planning to order Edelmann but at Amazon was said it is whining.
Tried yesterday to clamp crimp hose with hose clamp to reinforce it but it is lower one so not eccessible.

Last edited by bbsitum; 03-08-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

yes, this is not a very loud whine, but when you are the driver and pay attention to these sounds; you tend to notice very subtle changes. turns out aftermarket hoses are known for this...
Old 03-08-2021, 03:28 PM
Burning Brakes

In my case it was loud and noticeable, especially in winter. Did entire thread about it and did fight it for 2 years and did give up. https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-whine-968753/

Last edited by bbsitum; 03-08-2021 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Put Sunsong in. Again was pita as I didn't figure right technic. Take all bolts off. First clear flare fitting end from steering rack area. Than push that end toward passenger side till clear subframe. Than push same end little down than toward driver side till mid of hose with double L and pressure switch housing come to mid where is more clearance to pull it out and than hose out. When put new in go similar way only I put flare end up after hose end and than middle in. Sunsong has zero whinning and it is big for me. Thank Whitetiger to explain where them whinning come from. Flare nut didn't tighten enough first time and has to do little more with flare nut to stop dropping of fluid.
whitetiger5 (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Guy in one youtube video said big one. After line is bend, in my case is pre bent, some minor adjustment will need as bend is never perfect. So I did pull out flare end a few times and bent it with hands till was capable screw flare nut with hand.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

That's good news. when I replaced my high pressure line, I went ahead and replaced all the low pressure hoses, reservoir and rebuilt the pump.

If the rack itself decides to go out (knock on wood) I will more than likely switch to that sunsong brand myself; it's too whiny for a luxury vehicle, but OK for a 20 year old luxury vehicle.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Take all bolts off. First clear flare fitting end from steering rack area. Than push that end toward passenger side till clear subframe. Than push same end little down than toward driver side till mid of hose with double L and pressure switch housing come to mid where is more clearance to pull it out and than hose out. When put new in go similar way only I put flare end up after hose end and than middle in.
This is way to go. Once disconnected hose have 1' area to play left to right. No need for bending anything or dropping cat. I think entire project would take me now 3 hours max, including lifting car and taking front tires off. Front of car need be lifted just so much to take front tires off.
Not forcing flare nut in rack housing is important to otherwise can happen cross threading.

Last edited by bbsitum; 03-21-2021 at 07:37 AM.
whitetiger5 (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 09:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Not forcing flare nut in rack housing is important to otherwise can happen cross threading.

This right here is what makes this job so difficult. Reason being, it requires you to get the hose in place without being anchored down, and then insert the flared end into the rack and tightened.

Once this is done, you now must get the anchor straps on the line and using one hand move the line into a position where the anchor straps bolt will line up with the threaded hole on the subframe, and then without being able to see the hole using only about two fingers in that area to place the bolt and get it threaded (all while still holding the line in place with the other hand).

It’s definitely on par with a doctor performing open heart surgery by hand.

Old 03-21-2021, 04:48 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^ I'm not scared of this project any more. Left right, out in, than adjust flare with puling that part of hose out and bending it, than micro adjust with pulling while treading in it as you said. I think problem rise from youtube where folks say you need to bend something. There is about 7-8" gap between pressure sensor and passenger tire wall. That 8" is enough to pull out flare nut end buy pressing it toward passenger side.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by whitetiger5
That's good news. when I replaced my high pressure line, I went ahead and replaced all the low pressure hoses, reservoir and rebuilt the pump.

If the rack itself decides to go out (knock on wood) I will more than likely switch to that sunsong brand myself; it's too whiny for a luxury vehicle, but OK for a 20 year old luxury vehicle.
In my 99 TL, it turned out that the brackets holding the pipes mattered. I let the one on the manifold go when I did my pressure hose.. because I was tired? lol. But a few days later, I put it back and the whine stopped.