Power Steering Fluid Leak - Location Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 03:29 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power Steering Fluid Leak - Location Help

Hello Everyone!

So among my other problems with my TL - I have a power steering fluid leak. I have gone through 4 bottles of fluid in about as many weeks and my driveway shows it!

I replaced the O rings which made no difference and I now know it is in a hose. I think it is the high pressure hose, but I am not sure. I have attached pictures from under the car and looking down with my hand touching the wet spot and from below. These pics were taken after the car had been sitting over night in case that matters (fluid dripping while parked). Hopefully one of you can help me identify it.

Honestly, all of the videos I have watched and posts I have read here makes this out to be a beast of a job, so I was thinking of letting the dealership handle it (those last ten words hurt to type). After seeing the pics, do you think that is the high pressure hose? Do you think I should have them do their diagnosis ($100.00 that can be applied to the repair cost), or just replace the hose and not snoop around (potentially "finding" things I should work on that don't really need working on). Thank you!

Is this PS fluid? Oil? If oil, should I worry about this? Or is it not bad enough to matter/ be worth a fix.

I am touching where I thing it is leaking (it is dry on either side of where my fingers are, but wet where I am touching (by the firewall, passenger side).

Different angle from above

Different angle

from passenger side

Fresh drips about to drop (passenger side)

Fresh drips about to drop (passenger side) directly underneath

Fresh drips about to drop (passenger side) different angle
Old 12-16-2019, 06:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am not anywhere near the most knowledgeable guy on this site so take this with a grain of salt.

It's probably your high pressure hose. Mine was replaced at the corner auto shop years ago, no need for a dealership IMO. If I remember correctly, it wasn't very expensive at all.

Remember to use Honda fluid only!!!
The following users liked this post:
daikon (12-18-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My TL had been leaking PS fluid for years, not nearly as bad as what your's shows, but I never could find exactly where it was leaking. Recently, I did the AV6 transmission swap and when I dropped the old tranny, I could see that the leak had been coming from the variable steering pressure mechanism. Both clamps were loose and were leaking. The AV6 transmission does not have this device (It's the thing that makes your power steering easy when going very slowly but firms the feel up when you drive faster). To deal with the lack of the variable steering device, you have to connect the input and output lines from the steering rack. When I did this, all the leaks were gone. I think the item you were touching in one of the photos was the variable steering device, but it's hard for me to tell. It's just a little to the right (toward the passenger side) of the steering column shaft. Check your hoses from the rack to the device for leaks, both supply and return.
daikon (12-18-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
with the exception of the leaking fluid, that undercarriage is CLEAN! you must have very little mileage on your car.

I would recommend to spray some superclean or equivalent in those areas, rinse and let dry. then turn the car on again and inspect where the leak is originating.
daikon (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 10:50 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all.

So I think the leak is on the Power Steering Switch on the high pressure hose (56490-P0H-013). When I took off the electric connector I saw fluid drip. Now the problem is, I can not get it off the high pressure line. There is zero room to work with and I worry I am going to destroy the line just getting this switch off. I saw this video
which is cute because the guy has ample room. I am sure there has to be some trick to making this easier but I am all out of ideas! I am wondering if it would be easier to just replace the whole line versus taking off that switch!...but I dont hav ethat kind of cash to waste , lol.

Whitetiger5 - I am around 125k. I will check out superclean. Is that ok to use everywhere in the engine? I have some coolant sprayed all over too ( I just finished putting in a new radiator and therm sensor a few hours ago!),
Old 12-19-2019, 12:07 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 556 Likes on 446 Posts
This may be my first time recommending this, but I suggest you take it to the dealer. I don't think that replacing the PS switch will stop the leak. Usually the high pressure hose leaks at one of the clamps, and you have a pretty big leak. Replacing this line is ridiculously tedious. It's not a hard job, but it's very tedious and easy to break clips.

Your engine bay looks stupid clean, and I'd want to you to keep it that way. At the very least get an estimate price for changing that hose. I had mine changed by a trustworthy mechanic who significantly underestimated the job. He charged me for an hour labor, but ended up taking 3+ to do it.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
Yep, I used super clean on everything in my engine bay, metal, plastic and electrical. For plastic I finished off with 303 protectant, for electrical: contact cleaner. For some undercarriage parts: wd30 anti corrosion.

The rubber hose part coming from the pump (above the sensor) is it dry and shows no signs of leaking? Perhaps it’s the sensors seal (O-Ring) that has become square and leaks?

#22 in the image below:

[img]blob:https://acurazine.com/da595436-cb3d-4805-9a2f-935b51b0a08c[/img]

have you tried some stubby wrenches to get it?

Noob86c (12-30-2023)
Old 12-25-2019, 04:49 PM
USAF Veteran

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Mine just started leaking, but I can see it at the upper end where the hose is crimped at the PS pump end. With the engine running and turning the wheel, I can see the drip, drip, drip. So in my case, the line needs to go.

In your case, verify as Whitetiger5 says that's you've found the source of the leak before you do anything else. I've cut cheap wrenches in half to make my own stubby. You can also try a crowfoot wrench.

Good luck. I know I'll need it for mine.