Potential new 2nd gen TL owner. Critique my '99 deal.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 01:13 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential new 2nd gen TL owner. Critique my '99 deal.

Haven't given over the cash yet, but I spent the day checking out the car and haggling with the guy. Pretty much made our final deal:

$8000 for a '99 TL (no NAV) 110k, fair-to good condition, blk/blk. rear spoiler.

Pros:
*single (older) original owner with all records*
seeming responsible and honest owner.
available now, about 2 miles down the road from me.
very clean strong engine and drivetrain
fairly clean interior.
glass just replaced by his insurance (had a small defect)
'99 - vin shows no transmission issues (yet) - is this a pro?

Con's:
*Timing belt not yet replaced* (over 110k mi.)
Needs new tires and front alignment
Brakes pulsate - need to be done soon
Paint is scraped lightly in multiple places

possible con: under hard full automatic driving, hear/feel a very very slight, short scraping noise between 2-3 gears. Only heard twice, not easily reproducible. Normal? or a possbile indicator of transmission issues.

I suppose I should have tryed harder to get him further down from the original $8500 asking price... but overall should I get the car - and at that price? I do like it!

ty.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Instructor

try to get it for low 7 max 7500 you need a new brakes, timing belt and water pump. YOu also need new tires that itself will be 500. front alignment will be another 50 dollars. You 'll want new plugs and new belts added on too if your going to keep it for a while. Good luck and look in the paper to see what the going pricemis in your area. I looked on kbb.com
Old 10-18-2005, 01:43 PM
RickRoush03

if this helps you any, i bought an 02 Type S with 112k for $10,900 OTD. It had everything replaced, tranny was just done, new belts, water pump, i assume spark plugs, filters, new power steering pump at like 60k, brand new tires, looks like new brakes but i am redoing all of them cuz it was cheaper than just pads and resurfacing.

Now i have spent $600 for some alternator tensioner it needed, rear wheel bearing, and alignment with something else. getting new shocks only $265 pretty much free install, and new brakes, pads = free, rotors for like $120, for all 4.

My tranny was replaced after the 100k serivce, i wanna say 105k, not for certain. Also, mine was in an accident, but at the 60k point, so this guy drove it for another 65k and it must have been ok for him till he sold it is what i figured. I may have not gotten the best deal, but felt it was solid for another 100k if i choose.

Check into the tranny if it'll be replaced if it goes soon. Also, get him down $1k to cover repairs needed.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
02 Type-S 112k for 10,900 with all the major tuned up done, that is a good deal.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:06 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'm wondering whether to get it at all.. at any price. I am most concerned about the damn tranny (reading this board will do that to you)

That slight slipping feel between the 2-3 shift concerns me. "under hard full automatic driving, hear/feel a very very slight, short scraping noise between 2-3 gears. Only heard twice, not easily reproducible. Normal? I didn't look at the tach at that point to see if there was any brief rpm increase ...

sound like a tranny failure symptom to anyone?> where to find further info ?
Old 10-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
there is not a tranny issue with the '99s...yes they are included in the recall, but the real issue is with the 5 speeds. The 4 speed in the '99 is just as reliable as any other tranny (obviously it could go out, but I wouldnt expect it like with the 5 speed).

That noise you hear could be anything. I really doubt it is the tranny because it doesnt take enough time to shift for you to be able to hear a noise. You should check the tranny fluid level though before you purchase it. And ask the guy if he ever has gotten the fluid replaced/a tranny flush. If not, then you may want to take it to a dealer to check it out. And if there is a noticable delay with the shifting, watch the Tach and see if there is any RPM fluctuation - if so, I would also get a dealer to check it out. The tranny wont be a worry if he properly maintained it, but you just need to check it out.

Also the timing belt replacement is going to run you near $1000 unless you trust a mechanic that may charge less. So that is something you need to consider with the price. I think that is a reasonable price though (if you could get some off because you will need to get the timing belt replaced in the near future).
Old 10-18-2005, 06:43 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Have you ran a carfax? If not I can do it for you.

Also, check the HIDs - the parts and even bulbs can be expensive.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:23 PM
My "P" SpAnKs YouR "S"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too many miles! Look for another.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Ganji, Want some?

1st theres TOO MANY miles on that car.
the pulsating is probably the rotors so you WILL HAVE to buy new ones, your not on acura's warranty so they WILL NOT replace them.

What you need to do to that car is before signing ANYTYHING ask the dealer if they will perform that work before you buy. there is no reason a dealership should be selling a car without the belts done, thats potential damage to your engine and the work will prolly run you 8 bucks and up. so if the timing belts were changed I'd prolly take the car, cause all the other stuff is not SOO important..

ONE MORE thing, the Alignment the dealer can do that ffor free basically, its labor costs that they would bill you but they can do it for you if they wanted to sell the car, so just remember, TIMING BELT and ALIGNMENT before you buy, and its a great deal.

Good luck and WELCOME if you buy....
Old 10-18-2005, 08:03 PM
Instructor

That kind of grinding noise you are taking about i hear sometimes too. I have never had a tranny issue, but i dont know what that noise could be. Mines a 99 as well.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VITEK
1st theres TOO MANY miles on that car.
the pulsating is probably the rotors so you WILL HAVE to buy new ones, your not on acura's warranty so they WILL NOT replace them.

What you need to do to that car is before signing ANYTYHING ask the dealer if they will perform that work before you buy. there is no reason a dealership should be selling a car without the belts done, thats potential damage to your engine and the work will prolly run you 8 bucks and up. so if the timing belts were changed I'd prolly take the car, cause all the other stuff is not SOO important..

ONE MORE thing, the Alignment the dealer can do that ffor free basically, its labor costs that they would bill you but they can do it for you if they wanted to sell the car, so just remember, TIMING BELT and ALIGNMENT before you buy, and its a great deal.

Good luck and WELCOME if you buy....
I'm pretty sure that's not from a dealer buddy...
Old 10-18-2005, 08:37 PM
RickRoush03

Do a carfax, have a qualified mechanic GIVE YOU and checklist that they have performed on the car when they went over it, what it needed etc. If you floor the car and it shifts firm in each gear, and doesnt hesitate to up or down shift, you should be fine, if the tach jumps and then the car goes, well then its got problems, if it shift normally driving it normally, you should be fine. Also, check the oil dipstick, is it at the right level, golden brown, if its dark and at the correct level, most likely means its not burning oil, thats good. just use common sense, does the car look right, does it have ALL the VIN # tags, on each door, jam, hood, fender, trunk? if not, it was replaced, why?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Open Bar Dude

I just bought my '99, 91K, $9800, just had 90K service at dealer, had them do the timing belt, water pump, etc. for $250, very clean, no accidents, had to clean the leather (Meguire's)has several paint touch up spots on the bumpers, but that is the only minor issue, shifts smooth & strong through all the gears, feel so solid for the mileage
Old 10-19-2005, 04:52 PM
4th Gear

Alright, so definately decided not to buy this one, just have that gut feeling its not worth the hassle. Guy told me he had the transmission done at 50k but VIN # check with acura shows no transmission done. WTF.

I'm thinking I might be better off looking for a nice 1st generation TL. Smart decision?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:40 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by darqice
Alright, so definately decided not to buy this one, just have that gut feeling its not worth the hassle. Guy told me he had the transmission done at 50k but VIN # check with acura shows no transmission done. WTF.

I'm thinking I might be better off looking for a nice 1st generation TL. Smart decision?
no, I would continue to look for a '99TL with less miles...they are the best 2nd gen tranny wise and are much better than any 1st gen TL IMO. Get one with navigation though and upgrade it to the newer DVD unit and you will be set.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Racer

i got my 99 tl with navigation with only 75000 miles on it, almost near perfect condition, no accidents what so ever, already been serviced for the interlock and the other one and still under tranny warranty, and if i'm not mistaken, the dealer prolly gave the car another coat of painting to shine(in which i didn't like), but i got for 10400. Thought it was a good deal and still happy with it ever since. well, it's only been a month. heh