Possible Class Action Lawsuit for Tranny Problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 02:07 AM
Type SSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Class Action Lawsuit for Tranny Problems!!

Attn: All TL owners with tranny Problem,

We may have hope if we fill out enough Generic Complaint Form from Bigclassaction.com.

Here is the web site

Main Page

http://www.bigclassaction.com

Generic Complaint Form

http://www.bigclassaction.com/submit_form.html

PLEASE FILL OUT, WE MAY HAVE A CASE.

Please post REPLY when you fill out the Generic Complaint Form.
Old 03-13-2002, 05:31 AM
Intermediate

dont forget to put this on the CL forum as well. they have a section dedicated only to tranny problems.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:41 AM
Advanced

Class action lawsuits in general

The only problem with class action type lawsuits is that the lawyers get most of the money. So, if you are looking at getting some sort of monetary compenstation that is going to equate to the pain and suffering associated with loss of use of your car, it's probably going to be minimal if anything at all.

The real reason to have a class action lawsuit of any kind is to force the company you're suing to either stop or correct something (like, make better trannies?).

I dunno. It's just that all this talk about class action lawsuits on the board seems more like wishful complaining. It's not particularly useful or helpful.

'nuff said

dougbert
Old 03-13-2002, 10:54 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
I have mixed emotions about the tranny problem and lawyers.
Sure, I was ripped that my tranny died, and I am unsure that it won't die again, but...

They fixed it without questioning the mods,
They got me a car to use, no questions asked,
The kept me informed,
They gave me some compensation (free 30K Service - Not as good as some of you)
I still love the car.

I think if it crapped out again, I would be REALLY ripped, but at this point I can't imagine feeding the lawyers.

I mean, if it was not for this forum, I would have just thought it was me, had it replaced, and been on my merry way...

:-jon
Old 03-13-2002, 11:14 AM
Advanced

I think I'd have to agree with Jon.
Thus far it seems like Acura has done just about everything I had expected of them.
They replaced the tranny without trying to imply that it was in any way my fault. It was truly a "no questions asked" transaction.
They provided me with alternate transportation and they even cut me a check for the car payment I had to make while waiting for a tranny to become available.
Now, if these "new" trannies start to bite the dust, then I'm sure that I'll change my tune. But right now I see it as, yes, there was a problem, but for the present it's been fixed to my satisfaction. Although I have to admit that I'd really like to know exactly what was going wrong in the transmission.
Old 03-13-2002, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those that have had the tranny replaced, what is the warranty on the new unit. My dealer says that it falls under the basic 4yr 50k mileage plan. Acura says that I should purchase an extended warranty (AcuraCare Plan)

Anyone heard anthing about this ? I had 30K on the original unit which means that there is an "only" a 20k warranty on the unit that they will be putting in
Old 03-13-2002, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

My service guy told me that all parts have a 4yr/50000 mile warranty, meaning that my tranny is covered for 50000 miles from the point at which it was installed, 26500 miles. Therefore the tranny is covered until 76500 miles. My Honda dealership did the same thing. My foglight bulbs kept burning out about every 20000 miles. As long as they installed and not me the new bulb, the bulb was covered under warranty I didn't have to pay for the next one if it burned out before an additional 36000 miles.

I get the impression that some dealerships are hesitant to cover parts like this or maybe they don't understand the warranty so it may be best to ask your dealer specifically. Also, I haven't done it, but check your owner's manual. I'm sure it covers all the warranty stuff.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Redlined,

There is quite a bit of difference between the dealer eating the cost of a fog light bulb in an effort to win you're business again and eating the cost of a new transmission. I spoke to both the dealer and Acura (1-800 4A Acura) and they were very specific that any warranty covered component replaced during the warranty period DOES NOT start the clock again for that replaced component. The car has 4yr 50k and that's it baby.

I will continue checking into this
Old 03-13-2002, 06:48 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by roadman
Redlined,

There is quite a bit of difference between the dealer eating the cost of a fog light bulb in an effort to win you're business again and eating the cost of a new transmission. I spoke to both the dealer and Acura (1-800 4A Acura) and they were very specific that any warranty covered component replaced during the warranty period DOES NOT start the clock again for that replaced component. The car has 4yr 50k and that's it baby.

I will continue checking into this
There is no question in my mind that you are right. There is no bloody way they would extend the full warranty on a new tranny.
Old 03-16-2002, 07:38 AM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not interested in a lawsuit at this point...takes too long and the lawyers do get all of the money.

My car ('02 TL-S w/Nav)is at the dealer now awaiting a tranny install (about 2 weeks and I am stuck w/a Mercury Sable until then). As soon as it is ready I am getting rid of it. There are plenty more good (BETTER?) cars available today. The only way to hurt Acura is to not buy their cars. It's a shame too because I love my TL. I just can't afford to drive it with such a lack of confidence and I am not willing to risk buying another Acura and hope that it's one with a good tranny. All that horsepower is no good without a transmission!

My dealer service dept says the problem goes back to the 99 TL.

Question though, does the CL Type S and the TL Type S 5 speed auto have the same tranny? The folks in the CL Forum seem much more vocal. It will be a matter of time before this rises to the top of awareness in the autoworld and we will see trade-in values drop. I called around last week and was only offered $25k by 3 different dealers. But, I am going to have a heart-to-heart with my dealer about a buy-back.

I'll let you all know what happens.