Photoshop Request: Interior Colors

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010 | 11:05 PM
Instructor

Photoshop Request: Interior Colors

I am not sure if this is allowed but I have no experience with photoshop. Basically what I want to do is cover that fake wood grain with white carbon fiber vinyl and make the dash black and paint the tops of the doors black. In my head it would be a nice 2 tone and add a nice contrast to the white trim pieces.

I have a pic of a nice clean interior with the trim painted wdp. Hopefully DiDWorK19 doesn't mind me jacking his picture.

So if anyone could help me see what it might look like I would be mighty grateful!
Old 05-23-2010 | 09:41 AM
I got the Shifts

u cant paint those interior parts. they are a soft vinyl so it will look like arse. but someone in the photo gallery did what u want with oem parts
Old 05-23-2010 | 11:45 AM
MechEng

Originally Posted by phee
u cant paint those interior parts. they are a soft vinyl so it will look like arse. but someone in the photo gallery did what u want with oem parts
might be me that youre talking about. im working on using paint to convert my interior and so far its coming out nice. texture feels like OEM.

i was going to make my own thread eventually when i finished my project but heres a teaser i guess. im using duplicolor fabric&vinyl along with an additional adhesion promoter and lots of prep. im going for a 2 tone black and charcoal with red seat and door inserts. the red is over a black base coat so at different angles the black shines through and it actually looks unique.

the wood trim will be covered in Di-Noc soon. i was gonna do the interior with just all black and no charcoal but eh idk.
Old 05-23-2010 | 03:38 PM
Instructor

Like hell I can't! OEM parts are expensive, paint is not (kinda).
Old 05-23-2010 | 03:55 PM
I got the Shifts

i stand corrected. that looks alright.

but it was someone else who i was reffering to. he did the black dash with the black half door panels.

as for the white boomerangs with that 3m stuff. u gotta know what ur doing or ur gunna end up cutting too much or too short to do the boomerangs correctly. hit me up for help when u get it
Old 05-23-2010 | 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Actually you can and it will look just fine (if done right) They make interior paint for vinyls and stuff.
Old 05-23-2010 | 06:15 PM
Instructor

but it was someone else who i was reffering to. he did the black dash with the black half door panels.

as for the white boomerangs with that 3m stuff. u gotta know what ur doing or ur gunna end up cutting too much or too short to do the boomerangs correctly. hit me up for help when u get it
Yeah the boomerangs will be a pain. Do I need to take off the door panels to apply the vinyl onto the door trim? There isn't much of a curve to it if at all.
Old 05-23-2010 | 06:21 PM
I got the Shifts

u can leave the door panels on but u will want to use a blowdryer and a credit card to mold it.

the 3mm stuff is super stretch
Old 05-23-2010 | 08:36 PM
Instructor

u can leave the door panels on but u will want to use a blowdryer and a credit card to mold it.

the 3mm stuff is super stretch
Awesome.

So where do I get this vinyl paint 03tLsNBP?
Old 05-23-2010 | 09:31 PM
Pro

it was me

Old 05-24-2010 | 01:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dsickles
it was me

That looks pretty good.
Old 05-24-2010 | 09:07 PM
MechEng

i used Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric. you can get it at pep boys, advanced auto, etc. for some reason my autozone only had the Rustoleum Vinyl & Fabric and wow it was complete shit. supposedly you can use Krylon too. I havent personally tried that though so im not sure of the texture, finish, etc.

i recommend lots of prep (wash panels with soap and water, or degreaser). Duplicolor says the paint already has adhesion promoter but i went ahead and put on a couple coats of additional adhesion promoter. apply 2-3 coats of paint. it goes on pretty thick and Duplicolor's new nozzles are amazing. end it with a flat clearcoat and it should look pretty OEM.
Old 05-24-2010 | 09:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
i used Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric. you can get it at pep boys, advanced auto, etc. for some reason my autozone only had the Rustoleum Vinyl & Fabric and wow it was complete shit. supposedly you can use Krylon too. I havent personally tried that though so im not sure of the texture, finish, etc.

i recommend lots of prep (wash panels with soap and water, or degreaser). Duplicolor says the paint already has adhesion promoter but i went ahead and put on a couple coats of additional adhesion promoter. apply 2-3 coats of paint. it goes on pretty thick and Duplicolor's new nozzles are amazing. end it with a flat clearcoat and it should look pretty OEM.
Did you have to take off the door panels to paint em? Also how hard is the dashboard to take off?
Old 05-25-2010 | 09:50 AM
MechEng

i took off the door panels and disassembled the armrest and the leather insert. i did the LED window switch mod at the same time. as for the dashboard, im saving that for last. i might get lazy and just tape off the windshield and surrounding area and paint it in place. i have to take a look at it again. i think you just take out the AC panel, unscrew all the screws along the bottom, disconnect the airbag, and then pull it out.

maybe Phee can answer this one better, since im not 100% sure what to do.

also when i searched on how to take off the steering wheel, nobody mentioned it was a damn torx screw. grrr one more trip to pep boys
Old 05-25-2010 | 06:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
i think you just take out the AC panel, unscrew all the screws along the bottom, disconnect the airbag, and then pull it out.
:
not that simple. lots of wiring needs to be separated from the dash.