paint problems - survey

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 12:08 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paint problems - survey

hello all...

this site has been a great source of help and info...hope that this message provides some comfort to others in the same boat...

I have dust bumps in my paint job (small lumps in the paint caused by dust in the paint)...I also have the reverse problem (two dots where dust prevented the paint from taking - you can see the bare metal).

Has anyone else noticed the same on their cars? I've heard a few others on this site and through friends speaking of the same problem...

Is this another case of less than perfect quality control/fit and finish due to US manufacturing?

Different service people have told me that such bumps are "normal", while others have said that they are proof that my car has been repainted (!)

Your feedback will be GREATLY appreciated...

Overall, I am addicted to my TL...SMOOTH, SOLID AND POWERFUL DRIVE...
Old 06-01-2002, 12:12 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an '01 WDP and have no problems. Love the color, love the car and I contantly get compliments.
Old 06-01-2002, 12:13 AM
Intermediate

Me too...

Yea, I have the exact same problem...I just haven't had the time to take my car to the dealer yet to figure out what to do about it...

Anyway, as soon as I take my car to the dealer, I'll let you know what's up.

Haha, I think we've already had this discussion...didn't see it was you before, carswell...

-Brad
Old 06-01-2002, 12:13 AM
Advanced

thanks goab...sorry, but what is a WDP...

also, for those interested in this issue...you have to look close to notice these "imperfections"...for example, close enough to hand wash your car...
Old 06-01-2002, 12:19 AM
Advanced

thanks falconbrad...

okay...this is a bit odd...

Acura dealer 1 service rep freaked out over these lumps and spots and said that the car should not have left the factory with these "defects".

Acura dealer 2 service rep said that these lumps and spots were evidence of REPAINTING done outside of the factory.

Independent bodyshop guy said that these "imperfections" were not out of the ordinary and NOT evidence of repainting.

Regional service rep from Acura just said these imperfections were caused by dust in the paint and offered to paint/sand/repair under warranty (but I am weary of discolouration)...he also said that I could leave the paint alone without foreseeable consequence...

A co-worker rejected two TLs because he inspected them and saw similar bumps...

I'd really be interested in knowing how many TLers would find similar lumps and spots if they took a CLOSE look at their paint job...

Thanks to all...this site really is a great help...
Old 06-01-2002, 12:19 AM
Burning Brakes

WDP = White Diamond Pearl
Old 06-01-2002, 12:28 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by WiLz
WDP = White Diamond Pearl
Thank you.
Old 06-01-2002, 12:31 AM
Advanced

thank you
Old 06-01-2002, 03:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

i had paint problems with my ssm on delivery after two paint jobs and having to let them blend the paint into the car it looks ok,,,,,,,,,,but do u really want a new car with a paint job ?,,,,,,i pushed for a new vehicle but they wouldnt budge. do what u have to do is my advice and if u can live with it,,,,,id leave it alone.
Old 06-01-2002, 04:32 AM
jr
Instructor

repainting is going to open a big can of worms. e.g , is the dealer any good at painting ? ( I have had stuff like this done by 3 dealers on other cars results NOT GOOD) the dealer hit something with my wdp 01 on screwed up the bumper it has been painted 2 times in a matter of weeks and now I am finding overspray on on of my wheels .
If it is just 2 bumps and not a show car I would leave it alone.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:24 AM
Advanced

thanks all...i appreciate your feedback...

while these bumps and spots are scattered all over the call, the overall paint job looks great from a few feet back...

still, what's with the fit and finish problems with the TL? It is a great car with great engineering and ride quality, but certainly not as prim and proper as those models that were built in the US...

further comments would be appreciated...

thanks
Old 06-01-2002, 06:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I've got no paint problems. The only fit and finish problem I have is the recurring problem of moonroof squeaking, which I'll deal with the next time I go to the dealer for an oil change.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:47 PM
Racer

ACURA PAINT SUCKS...NBP & ABP get swirl marks in the paint almost instantly..WDP bumpers and trim never match the paint on the car(all WDP owners should know what I am talking about), and I have heard from numerous SSM owners on paint imperfections.. Acura/honda just didn't do their homework on the paint process and the cars show that lack of quality. But then again, I guess I can't be too picky since we drive the best bargains for the near luxury class. I just wish Acura would have done a better job on the paint and paint process for our cars.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

old news , known bulletin! i'm getting a new rear bumper!

99 taffeta white, it's practically yellow. only the rear though. as far as the underspray, dust , bumps, dimples , popping up from underneath! yea , wtf ? and that was happening on my 88 accord and 92 legend! how long does it take to get the paint thing down?! kman
Old 06-01-2002, 06:54 PM
Advanced

thanks FLAcuraTLS...i appreciate your input.

i've noticed an interesting trend...i have a gold TL and it seems that most people who have paint problems (at least on this board) have metallic colours (silver, gold, etc.)...perhaps these imperfections are more noticeable on the lighter colours...i know that if i had black, i wouldn't be able to spot these imperfections.

one last thing...sorry, but could you please explain NBP, ABP and SSM...i guess they are colours?

thanks...further input would be appreciated...
Old 06-01-2002, 06:55 PM
Advanced

thanks kman...i agree with you...
Old 06-01-2002, 10:59 PM
Racer

carswell...NBP=Nighthawk Black Pearl, ABP=Aegean Blue Pearl, WDP=White Diamond Pearl, SSM=Satin Silver Metallic
Old 06-02-2002, 02:00 AM
Having Fun?

Team SILVER!

Yes I had a paint imperfection on my inside driver-side passenger door well. Actually it is a long story. Basically the dealer took the car to a paint shop and had the entire panel stripped and repainted.

Click for the story...

I had my front 2 1/4 panels repainted and the inner door frame piece on driver's rear side (don't know the official name for that panel ???)

They did an excellent job on my baby. Their first attempt at touch up paint was :yack: , it looked almost white. But the body shop did an absolutely great job. It matched 100%, people don't even know I had so many panels repainted, even at close distances.

My advice is get the imperfections fixed. They won't cause you any harm in the near future but a few years down the road those will become the inherit weak spots where rust can start to form. Just make sure the dealer takes it to a good body shop

-copland007
Old 06-02-2002, 11:41 AM
Advanced

thanks copland...i read your story...glad it turned out ok.

i asked the dealer and an independent body/paint guy, both said that the "imperfections" are under the clearcoat and nothing more than cosmetic.

while touch ups have been offered, i'm weary...i'm sure the won't match...also, if they repaint the entire car (since the imperfections are scattered all over the car), the independent bodyshop guy said that a repaint would open up another can of worms (e.g., peeling)...

i'm supposed to see the regional acura rep, but i get the dealer is dragging his feet...updates to come...

thanks again to all (really, i appreciate it)...i look forward to further input...
Old 06-02-2002, 11:44 AM
Advanced

thanks, kman

thanks kman...just one question...

99 taffeta white, it's practically yellow. only the rear though. as far as the underspray, dust , bumps, dimples , popping up from underneath! yea , wtf ?

do you only have dust, bumps and dimples in the rear? or around the car?

i'd also be interested in knowing what your dealer said about these paint problems...

THANKS
Old 06-02-2002, 11:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Exclamation the dimples and

all those imperfections are on the steel part of the car, except for one small one i have on the front bumper. the bumpers are polyurethane, as oppossed to the the steel frame. matching paint to these two different substances doesn't always come out right, and the mismatch occurs, most noticeably on lighter colors. also chemicals like silicone tire dressing can cause the paint to fade on light color car bumpers over time. on a white car yellowing would be a side effect, but should never happen if the paint and application are done properly. the powder coat paint process sucks! the paint is too soft! ever since the epa made them take the lead out of paint, this has been a problem for most car manufacturers in one way or the other. kman
Old 06-03-2002, 12:05 AM
Advanced

kman...thanks very much...
Old 06-03-2002, 05:54 PM
Advanced

any news from your dealer falconbrad?

thanks
Old 06-05-2002, 02:05 PM
Advanced

hi falconbrad

any news?

thanks
Old 06-06-2002, 11:42 AM
Advanced

sorry guys...don't mean to beat a dead horse...

i'll stop asking after this one...

i've checked out a couple of other TL sites...it seems that paint defects are a major concern...

thus, any input from you guys would be appreciated...basically, i'd just like to find out how extensive this problem is...and inform other concerned TLers at the same time...

thanks

PS please feel free to email me with any comments/questions...at "repcarswell@hotmail.com"...thanks
Old 06-06-2002, 02:59 PM
Intermediate

Sorry!

Yea, sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I haven't had a chance to take my car to the dealer yet. I graduate next week and things have been a little hectic. But I did talk to a paint shop guy and he said depending on where the imperfections are and whether or not the entire panel is painted, there could be some serious problems. Avoid painting at all cost seems to be the consensus so far.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:00 PM
Advanced

no worries falconbrad...

CONGRATS on your graduation...

touch base when you can...i'm still investigating my situation with my dealer and Acura...we'll compare notes, and hopefully resolve each of our situations satisfactorily...

r
Old 06-06-2002, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Make a list of ALL your flaws and meet with a factory rep to point out and discuss. For me, I decided not to repaint, etc. and settled for a refund of $500. A check was sent to me within 4 weeks.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:46 AM
Advanced

Thanks SUT...repainting does not seem to be a popular option...i agree, it's opening up another can of worms...

i'll keep this board updated...
Old 10-05-2002, 12:57 PM
3rd Gear

WDP paint mismatch

Carswell (or anyone else):

Did you get any more info on the paint mismatch of some TL colors? I have a 2000 WDP, and the mismatch is pretty apparent of the front bumper and rear bumper (esp.) from the rest of the car. When the mismatch is most apparent is when the lighting is not in the direct sun, say during a cloudy day or inside a garage.

I'm curious to see what people have done to correct it.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

I have a black 98 CL 3.0 and hood and trunk look like have measles! Neither Acura or Honda reps acted as if they'd never seen something so I thought I would have to pay to have it repainted. However, 2 independent shops told me that Acura should have to pay to have it painted because this is a faulty paint job...said even though it's 15 years old, this should not happen! I've been searching to see what others are doing. Apparently the CL 3.0 was made in the same factory as the Honda Accord and there have been several complaints about them. Has anybody had success in getting Acura or Honda to make this right?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Arrow Welcome Madcity324.......

Originally Posted by madcity324
I have a black 98 CL 3.0 and hood and trunk look like have measles! Neither Acura or Honda reps acted as if they'd never seen something so I thought I would have to pay to have it repainted. However, 2 independent shops told me that Acura should have to pay to have it painted because this is a faulty paint job...said even though it's 15 years old, this should not happen! I've been searching to see what others are doing. Apparently the CL 3.0 was made in the same factory as the Honda Accord and there have been several complaints about them. Has anybody had success in getting Acura or Honda to make this right?

Hey, I realize that you're a newb.....but this is not the appropriate sub-forum for your concern.
You've posted this in the 2nd Gen TL ('99>'03), so you won't get any responses. Sorry !!!!

Your main reason for this post is kinda far-fetched, imo.
Any concerns about a situation such as yours should've been addressed many years ago.
While there may very well had been documented issues in the past, don't expect anything from the factory in the way of compensation at this point in time. You must assume some responsibility to respond in a timely fashion to a potential issue with paint defects or any problems in general. 15 years, come on !

Last edited by 3.2TLc; 05-01-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:56 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
The clear coat on my ABP 02 TLS is defective and peeling off, this is also a noted Acura paint defect. It is starting to look very bad, but cost of repainting is prohibitive for a car that old. on an 11 year old car, I wouldn't expect Acura to do anything at this point
Old 05-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
This is by far the oldest post ever brought back since I've been on AZine.