Paint Problems and Not using Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 03:08 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Problems and Not using Zaino

I have noticed that many of the posts dealing with paint problems mention that they used Zaino products. Does anyone have these problems that never used Zaino products? Just curious if there might be a link....
Old 08-29-2001, 03:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
No way, too many people using Zaino, non-Acura as well as Acura. I've used it for almost 2 years and I have absolutely immaculate paint.

The problem is Acura, their paint sucks. Chips like a MF. I heard that they used some new paint technology for painting the RSX, we'll see. Supposed to resist chipping/orange peel better.
Old 08-29-2001, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Actually from what I've read on the CL forum (and here too), people who have multiple coats of Zaino have less chipping and peeling b/c of the protective layer that Zaino offers.....
Old 08-29-2001, 03:54 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I have not used any wax on my car since I got it in April and I have no chips or peels... (knock on wood). I spoke with an Acura bodyshop guy and he stated that the paint is the way it is because of EPA rules and regulations, don't know how true that is but makes sense. I am getting my car detailed next week and I hope the wax doesn't harm the paint.
Old 08-29-2001, 04:40 PM
Instructor

My WDP has no paint problems that I've been able to find (two months old now). I've ordered Zaino because of what I've read and seen, and also because I would prefer not to have to wax so often. I will keep an eye out for any problems.

Like you, I was wondering why many of the problems listed on the forum were with Zaino-treated cars...hopefully just a coincidence. I WOULD like to know what the Zaino primary compounds are. Does anyone here know?
Old 08-29-2001, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by juniorbean
Actually from what I've read on the CL forum (and here too), people who have multiple coats of Zaino have less chipping and peeling b/c of the protective layer that Zaino offers.....
This was discussed at length on another post. Wax covers only a few microns. There is no way that it could protect your paint from a stone chip.

It's not like an X-Pel bra that is an actual plastic film that is applied over your paint, and even X-Pel cannot protect you from a big a$$ rock that is kicked up by a semi.

Wax pure and simple keeps your paint sealed and protects against oxidation and UV damage.
Old 08-30-2001, 09:44 AM
Instructor

never zaino'd

I've never zaino'd and have nothing but trouble with the little dot spots on the flat surfaces. I definetely have one of the worst paint jobs around. It's a disgrace to look at the car. I do use Meguiar's and Zymol at times, but have basically given up at car care since I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.
Old 08-30-2001, 11:39 AM
Instructor

What is the cost of Zaino?
Where can you find it?

thx all

David
Old 08-30-2001, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

Cool I am a zaino freak

www.zainobros.com

Order the z1, z2, z6 and z7. The clay bar is great if you are having probs getting stains of your paint. Forget the rest of the stuff. Use the z2 on your windows REALLY HELPS! Use the z1-z2 on your wheels- keeps the brake dust down.
Old 08-30-2001, 04:14 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

I've never used Zaino and I have acid rain spots on my hood and trunk. Acura CS has agreed to fix the problem at the dealer and that probably means letting them repaint. Doubt if I'll do it cause I don't want a new car that has been repainted so soon. It's too bad because I've had no other problems with the car. It's perfect except for the paint. No rattles or any other hassles. I just don't love it any more.
Old 08-30-2001, 05:46 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
You will have to convice me that Zaino coats accumulate - so would the dirt in the paint then.

I have access to a scanning electron microscope. Several years ago, I tested "Liquid Glass" - its sales material said that 10 coats was "the equivalent of a clearcoat". So I did 20 coats on two identical sheets of metal that had been primed and painted.

Using SEM, we examined both. There were differences. The LG side was smoother - but is was not one iota thicker - in fact is was a few microns thinner from the abrasive action of the polishing, which reduced the asperities that reduce shine.

Common sense meets science - coating loses!

I don't buy it - it may be a good polish wax or whatever it is, but coating is very much in debate.
Old 08-30-2001, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Road Rage
Using SEM, we examined both. There were differences. The LG side was smoother - but is was not one iota thicker - in fact is was a few microns thinner from the abrasive action of the polishing, which reduced the asperities that reduce shine.
Okay now there's a point. I'm just wondering aloud here--maybe these new modern composition paints and clearcoats can't withstand the repeated abrasive (albeit extremely minor) buffing and polishing to which some of the more dedicated members of the board are accustomed. I have yet to wax my car since picking it up at the dealer (they waxed it with ordinary Meguiars for final detailing) and I have *no* paint problems on my ABP TL-S. My car was built 5/01 and I've got 5000 miles on it which, if you do the math, means I travel on the highway quite a bit. I've been behind lots of trucks and cars and I've got no chips, flakes, peeling, etc--just a buttload of bugs right now. No front bra, no Xpel, nada.

Maybe I'm just lucky <knocking furiously on wood> or maybe I'm just talking out of my a$$ (as I'm apt to do sometimes) but it's defiinitely worth considering. If you wax your car more than once a month, it is possible that you could be doing more harm than good? Rubbing the paint/clearcoat constantly has gotta cause *some* kind of friction--maybe it just weakens this new type of paint.
Old 08-30-2001, 08:38 PM
Pro

Unhappy

I've had my Zaino stuff for a few weeks and I have yet to get my lazy a$$ out to do it. My car is really filthy too
Old 08-31-2001, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
it is possible that you could be doing more harm than good? Rubbing the paint/clearcoat constantly has gotta cause *some* kind of friction--maybe it just weakens this new type of paint.
You may have a point here. My old car had painted pinstripes and I would polish and wax my car constantly (pre-wife & kids). After a while, I had to have the stripes repainted because they were fading.
Old 08-31-2001, 11:38 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found the findings by Road Rage very interesting. I always wondered how "wax" could protect paint when it's only a few microns thick. Maybe all the benefit we get from polish and wax is only from the abrasive action of polishing the paint to make it smoother. It could be like polishing gold jewelry, it makes it shine like crazy but it's costing you gold. That's why jewelers never throw out their carpet. They polish and cut gold so much that their old carpet is worth $$$ from all the gold dust. Maybe we are all wearing out out clear coat by too much Zaino or whatever you are using. I always thought I was adding protection by all the layers of wax.
Old 09-01-2001, 10:01 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
JetLock:

Be careful how you interpret what I posted - I did not say that waxes do not add protection, even if they are very thin. Both carnauba and synthetic based waxes protect in a variety of ways:

1) Remember that wax is nature's way of protecting leaves from the sun - Uv etc. Wax is a crystalline structure that filters and refracts light. It protects your paint in the same way!

2) UV filtering - your clearcoat has UV inhibitors to protect the paint. A good wax will enhance that effect

3) Inhibiting acid and other pollutions from attaching the clearcoat. They are "sacrificial" in that they take the brunt of the the assault rather than your clearcoat. That is why you want to use a polish or a cleaner/wax periodically to remove the trapped dirts and adulternats from the wax - and why I do not buy the cumulative coating claims. It is counterintuitive.

4) Drying out of the finish - over time, heat and UV begin to remove the essential volatiles in the finish, and can lead to cracking. a wax or polish adds back petroleum distillates, oils and lubricants to nourish the finish.

Keepi in mind that if the clearcoat is damaged or compromised mechanically (the famous "peeling banana" post), you finish is at the mercy of the gods.

Protect that clear coat!
Old 09-01-2001, 02:18 PM
Instructor

For the record, I just finished claying and putting Zaino 1/2 on my WDP TLS. I have to say that it's impressive just how easy it is to apply and remove, and the result is beautiful, both visulally and and to the touch (and even to the smell!). Before I applied it I put some touch-up paint into a small chip on the hood. I'm hoping that the Zaino finish will last longer than carnauba, as claimed in various on-line threads that I've read.

By the way, since there was no scrubbing or abraisive action involved in applying the Zaino, I can't see how it could have any adverse effect on the paint, unless it's chemical.
Old 09-04-2001, 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Angry Paint problems

I had a 97 CL metallic red and the paint is still like new.
My 02 TL-S though is full of scratch marks. The paint scratches way too easily. The dealer washes it, it gets scratches I wash it the same thing. The paint job is way to fragile.