(Northern) California premium gas now 91 pump octane

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 06:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Northern) California premium gas now 91 pump octane

Anyone else in Northern California--and probably Southern California, too--notice that premium unleaded gas is now 91 pump octane (actually it has been that way for at least a month now) instead of 92?

Probably explains why our gas prices hardly ever go down or go down for no more than a few weeks before going back up. First, they justify the price increase because they had to convert their refineries to put out MTBE gas; now, they're gonna (if they haven't already) jack the prices again because now they have to unconvert their refineries and start producing Ethanol-based gas because of MTBE groundwater contamination issues. Gee, didn't they realize this problem before deciding to use MTBE? How clueless can they be?

It's a scam among the oil companies, I tell ya...all in the name of lining their pockets as much as possible...

Tony
Old 09-25-2001, 06:38 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Ethanol!???

Too bad - you will lose ppower with that crap, even if the octane were still 92!!!!

I would move - come on down heah to the Ol Dominion. Y'all be raht welcome if ya did.
Old 09-25-2001, 06:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
91 Octane California Fuel -- similar to what you get when you eat a bad meal...
Old 09-25-2001, 09:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Road Rage
Ethanol!???

Too bad - you will lose ppower with that crap, even if the octane were still 92!!!!

I would move - come on down heah to the Ol Dominion. Y'all be raht welcome if ya did.
Well, it's just a fact of life here in California where smog reigns supreme and that there are more than twice as many vehicles than people (not just licensed drivers, all people) who live in California.

The powers that be decided that they didn't want their water poisoned with MTBE so they chose instead to have it contaminated with alcohol...

Tony
Old 09-25-2001, 09:34 PM
Banned

Re: (Northern) California premium gas now 91 pump octane

Originally posted by tdoh
Anyone else in Northern California--and probably Southern California, too--notice that premium unleaded gas is now 91 pump octane (actually it has been that way for at least a month now) instead of 92?

Probably explains why our gas prices hardly ever go down or go down for no more than a few weeks before going back up. First, they justify the price increase because they had to convert their refineries to put out MTBE gas; now, they're gonna (if they haven't already) jack the prices again because now they have to unconvert their refineries and start producing Ethanol-based gas because of MTBE groundwater contamination issues. Gee, didn't they realize this problem before deciding to use MTBE? How clueless can they be?

It's a scam among the oil companies, I tell ya...all in the name of lining their pockets as much as possible...

Tony
This happened in August....damn, don't you guys look at the numbers on the pump ?
Old 09-25-2001, 09:36 PM
Banned

California is appealing to be exempted from having to put ethanol in the gas. The reasons are, its simply not profitable as the energy needed to create the ethanol is much more than the ethanol produces when burned. Also, many people believe that this is being used to support all the farmers, it takes a lot of farm land to make a bit of ethanol . Sucks for us, I pay a sh!t load of money and I get 91...
Old 09-25-2001, 10:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

sigh, tell me about it. i am in the bay area, pay even more!!!
Old 09-26-2001, 05:05 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Ethanol is pure politics, and has been since the Carter days. Archer Daniels Midland makes lots of it, and has contributed heavily to both parties, but esp. the Dems, and especially to his pal Bill Wet Willy Clinton. CEO Andreas himself has been the target of several investigations over the years for shady dealing.

Ethanol produces less power per unit of consumption so you burn more - costs more to produce and has to be underwritten. California's energy policies are a farce, and they blame everyone else.