Noise from front end at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 08:05 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Noise from front end at low speeds

My car makes a strange almost metal on metal spinning sound after driving 45+ minutes. It is coming from engine bay it seems. It happens only when I slow down 35mph or less and when I come to full stop there is a strill metallic sound. When I accelerate again the spinning sound goes faster and faster as I speed up. It only happens when I drive a while, it doesnt happen when I take a 20-30 minute ride. Is it the CV joint? What do you guys think it could be.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always experienced CV joint problems as showing up first as a clicking sound when turning at low speeds, so I doubt that's it....any chance it's an electrical whine? How 'bout the electric cooling fans? Could a blade be hitting something when it kicks on?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
wheel bearing?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Instructor

good possibility, unless there's noise standing still...the way I read it was that he heard noise at a full stop, and the pitch of the sound went up as he accelerated, but I could have read it wrong...
Old 04-19-2005, 12:47 PM
I need 2 more gears

the noise goes away when i come to full stop, right before full stop i hear louder strill metallic sound. Wheel bearing makes sense. How much is it to repair that? DIY or bring it to a shop. Also can anything else become damaged from the wheel bearing being broken?
Old 04-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Instructor

don't know on these cars - on some cars the ABS speed sensor can be damaged if the bearing is bad enough to allow that much movement. I know the bearing is an easy check: Jack up the car til the wheel is off the ground, and grab the wheel top and bottom, and try and move it. Do the same side to side. Here's where my memory goes....on some cars anyway a little movement is expected in one direction, but not the other, and I always forget which....hopefully one of the members that REALLY knows can help me out here, but that should get you started...
Old 04-19-2005, 06:27 PM
I need 2 more gears

How much would this repair run me? I will do the check suggested. Anyone else have any advice or more insight on this problem? All help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:03 PM
I need 2 more gears

I jacked up each side of the front end today and moved the wheel back and forth on both sides of the car. Both front wheels move in both directions, but only a little bit. Does that mean both my front wheel bearing are shot?
Old 04-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sbuswell
I jacked up each side of the front end today and moved the wheel back and forth on both sides of the car. Both front wheels move in both directions, but only a little bit. Does that mean both my front wheel bearing are shot?

Did you wiggle them side to side and up and down? Think of a clock, 3 & 9 one way, and 6 & 12 the other way....if you got movement one way, and I'm talking enough movement to feel, barely enough to see, but didn't get movement the other, then IMHO your bearing is fine. If you get movement both directions then bearing needs replacing.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:55 PM
I need 2 more gears

i brought my cat the shop today and they said both front wheel bearings are fine. they said it may be a brake problem, somehting to do with rust rubbing against the pad. My front rotors and pads need to be replaced soon. I am not sure if that is the problem though. Any opinions?
Old 04-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i guess you can bring it in to the dealership...?

btw, to REALLY find out of it's a bearing... what you need to do is this:

1. find a wide road and speed up.

2. make sharp left and right turns. just like... jerk the car left and right (in other words, zig zag). what you are basically doing is taking the weight off of one side of the car and putting it on the other. you are doing this b/c bad bearings can be heard when weight is on it. therefore, the more weight on the bad bearing, the louder the noise. vice versa.

3. so for example, in my case (happen to me 2x)... i made a sharp (and long) right turn. (i took an exit ramp). the weight of the car was all on the left side... and the noise was gone until i straigthened out of the turn and the noise came back. so that means i have a bad RIGHT bearing... and you can tell it was the back. the noise was gone b/c there was no weight on it...

did your mechanic just jack the car and spun the wheel?? that's not as definite of a diagnostic as test driving it... my mechanic told me this and taught me this method..
Old 04-23-2005, 10:14 AM
I need 2 more gears

I have done that and when I turn the sound doesnt go away. It's only noticeable at lower speeds. I heard it once very faintly when I was going 60mph for a while straight, no turns or bends in the road. Then when I slow down I hear it at about 25-30mph when I am brake, then when I stop it goes away. Then I speed up and there it again getting faster and faster as I speed up then goes away at 40mph or when I am accelerating 2500-3000rpm's. If I speed up t 30mph and let off the gas I can hear it again, but at 40mph and not accelerating I can't really hear it.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Racer

i had that problem on my front drivr side. it was so pissing me off. so i changed the bearing. the sound got better, but now i notice i still hear a little grind, i have a feeling its the brakes
Old 04-23-2005, 01:45 PM
I need 2 more gears

thats what i think it is now too, i know i need new front brakes soon. i will be replacing them soon and hopefully problem will go away.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keep us updated - that could be the source of the problem
Old 07-04-2006, 10:15 PM
I need 2 more gears

old thread to dig up, but it's my thread so who cares. After over a year and getting all my breaks replaced about a year ago the problem never went away. in the winter I couldn't hear it....no clicking sound at all. I have even had my front drivers side wheel bearing replaced a 4-5 months ago thinking that was the culprit, but it wasn't. the sound is coming from my drivers side front wheel still and my CV boot is intact. I am running out of ideas and getting frustrated. when my car is parked after driving for a while and getting heated up pretty good I can push on the side of my tire and hear a clicking sounds like. any thoughts what this could be? please post some pictures of the cv joint and if you don't mind mark the potential problem areas so I can do a thorough inspection. thanks guys.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:50 AM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteTLS
good possibility, unless there's noise standing still...the way I read it was that he heard noise at a full stop, and the pitch of the sound went up as he accelerated, but I could have read it wrong...
What would be the problem if the metallic noise was at a dead stop?
Old 07-05-2006, 01:44 PM
On the way!

Have you checked the dust shield that runs along the inside of the brake discs? Could one of them be rubbing against the disc?
Old 07-05-2006, 10:17 PM
I need 2 more gears

Originally Posted by fla-tls
Have you checked the dust shield that runs along the inside of the brake discs? Could one of them be rubbing against the disc?

it is possible, but I doubt it. It only happens when the car is running for a while when it is hot outside. unless the breaks expand that much under serious heat. i've checked the dust shield and seems to be far enough away from the disc, but it's still pretty close to it.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:56 PM
08 Civic SI

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
im still having the same problem, its pissin me off. ive prety mch given up
Old 03-18-2007, 10:23 PM
I need 2 more gears

same here still. it's been almost 2 years since I started this thread and about 30k+ miles. I don't think it's serious if this much time and this many miles have accumulated. I think I will change my brakes again this summer, at least the front's and see what happens. I will also give the suspension system a complete overview to see if I can isolate any noise.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:45 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think I had the same problem....the noise could be better heard if I was right beside the curve because the sound was reflected. It turned out that rust had built up on the edge of front rotors and it was touching the inside of the calipers. The frequency of the noise depended on the car's speed for me as well.

First time it happened was a few years ago, the dealership took out the rotors and cleaned them up for me...problem solved.

Then it happened again 2 years down the road so a friend of mine took out the rotors out and cleaned them up...problem solved, but only for about a month. I ended up changing the rotors and pads (pads were due to be replaced).

About six months after, I had the car in for service and part of the service was the small brake service, then the noise reappeared. I took it back and it turned out that one or 2 of the clips that hold the pads in weren't sitting correctly. I don't know which one(s), but it doesn't matter since the problem was corrected.

So, long story short: it could be either rust on the edge of your rotors or the clips holding the pads in could be not seated properly. Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:57 AM
08 Civic SI

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
ill have to look into that since i also notice when i drive by a curb it reflects. altho my rotors and pads are new, rotors are a few months old but the pads are brand spakin new. ill check for rust or other crap
Old 03-19-2007, 09:17 AM
I need 2 more gears

rust would make sense. the shields that surround your pads would also make sense. I'll have to pull off my wheels and check out the brakes up close and figure it out. Again I don't think it's a severe issue, but a very annoying one.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by orgnlprankster7
ill have to look into that since i also notice when i drive by a curb it reflects. altho my rotors and pads are new, rotors are a few months old but the pads are brand spakin new. ill check for rust or other crap
Then it shouldn't be because of rust.....maybe it's an ill-seated clip, like I mentioned.