New TL coming?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TL coming?

I have seen pictures of the new Accord. It will be released later in 2002 as the 2003 model. Doesn't this mean the new TL be based on the new Accord and will come out the year after that as the 2004 model? The last TL, from 1994 to 1998 was based on the Accord platform. Same with the current one. The new Accord is still going to be FWD, just like the new camry. The luxury sedan market is getting competitive. Even the American sedans are going into RWD for better performance. I have heard 2 different rumors about the next TL. The first one says the current TL will last another 2-3 years. And the new TL will get a brand new Honda platform with RWD. This sounds cool, but it makes me kind of feel bad. Cause if his happens, our current TLs will become sucky. I also feel the new TL will get a high-tech, futuristic look. All the new Honda and other Import cars are getting into the futuristic look trend. Look at the new RSX, Mazda RX8, 6, the new FairladyZ, and even the new Corolla, they are all like that. I have no doubt the new TL will catch that trend. The second rumor says the new TL will look some what like the new Accord. And everything stays about the same.

I am not sure which one I like better. After doing some research, I feel I bought a car that is aging, both in design and tech. What do you guys think? *Do you all like your current TL?* (Even over the new ES300 and IS Coupe?)

Also, correct me if I brought up any wrong information.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:13 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw the picture of the new 2003 Accord and I don't like it. I really hope the new TL will have a better design then that pic of the new Accord. I heard that the new TL will come out in 2004. I also heard it might be built on a reduced RL platform to attain the RWD while the RL gets a whole new design. But of course all of this is just speculation. You know how Honda/Acura always hold back information until the last minute.

BTW, I would definitely pick my TL over the newly re-designed ES300. That thing is horrendous from the outside but the inside is a totally different story.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by BlackShadow

BTW, I would definitely pick my TL over the newly re-designed ES300. That thing is horrendous from the outside but the inside is a totally different story.
The inside is a different story. By different story, you mean good or bad ?
Old 11-06-2001, 09:28 PM
Instructor

OMG, my grammar suck. Do you guys actually understand the stuff I talk about? When I read my own messages, sometimes I makes my go..........HUH? What am I saying
Old 11-06-2001, 09:30 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by hankw

The inside is a different story. By different story, you mean good or bad ?
The inside of the new ES300 is freaking gorgeous! It was modeled after the new LS430's interior. People are saying that the new ES300 is a baby LS430 (interior wise). You have to check it out in person.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:33 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by hankw
OMG, my grammar suck. Do you guys actually understand the stuff I talk about? When I read my own messages, sometimes I makes my go..........HUH? What am I saying
Actually your grammar is pretty good compared to a few people on this board.

After a while you tend to know how to read "inside the line". Meaning you can decipher what the other person is saying.:p
Old 11-06-2001, 09:52 PM
HU
Instructor

Any pics of the new Accord?

As for the TL looking out dated... I guess everything looks outdated sooner or later. If we would have waited for the next gen... when the next gen comes out... you might wait for the next one and so forth. Thus... no car!

All I know is the current TL, in my opinion, was the best looking car for its price and class range at the time. Who knows... there maybe when the next gen comes out... there maybe better cars than the TL... do you think???
Old 11-06-2001, 10:04 PM
Pro

Well, i like the look of the current TLs compared to the new jap sedans. It has a conservative timeless and classy look imo. I mean, i think IS300, Altima, look, it looks like that look would date out much faster than the TL style. They all start to look the same. So, yeah, i love my TL, and wouldn't want the new styles from the other makers. As for the future TL, who knows what it'd be like. I like mine now, and will look at the new TL when it gets here. One car at a time, folks. And i can just imagine the new TL when it's out, you know what some will say here...."dont buy it yet cuz it's a completely new car, let em work out the problems....blah blah..."

So, we could end up taking the bus a long time before the perfect car is out.....
Old 11-06-2001, 10:09 PM
Instructor

dealer told me they are going to replace the RL with a new Legend that they want to bring back, as far as RWD, Honda is not too fond of that, so i dont think that will be happening, then it will require a step up in different models in the coming years
Old 11-07-2001, 12:02 AM
Pro

The RWD/FWD debate is more of a marketing debate right now. Car makers are drooling over the $$$ BMW is making on their RWD and want to copy their success. But from a production perspective FWD costs less to produce. Also from a practical point of view most people (mass market) can't tell if they are driving a FWD or RWD anyways and for those living in the snow belt FWD is definately better for traction. I heard of the analogy of a horse and carriage being used to point out the "pulling" advantages of FWD. The direction Honda will take in the next TL will depend on what they think their target market wants.

Engine wise, Honda had indicated their intentions to phase in next generation i-VTEC engines across all models over the next 4 years. Could be the output be 100hp/litre as in the i-VTEC in the RSXs?? Who knows?

Transmission could be a CVT? The next model is too far to guess.

Enjoy your TL for now. It is a well balanced package in every respect. I still think the TL is still one of the best deal on the market.
Old 11-07-2001, 02:02 AM
Racer

Where did you guys see the new accord at? Can you post? or link? Thanks
Old 11-07-2001, 02:30 AM
Instructor

Some guy posted a link yesterday....It's somewhere........
Old 11-07-2001, 10:16 AM
Racer

Here's the thread:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=26168

Old 11-07-2001, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Fakes!

Anything comes from hollywoodextra.com are 99% fakes. That guy is a photoshop nut.

The Accord coupe he shown is a ealier rumored RSX(integra).

I'll rather believe Mag-x version of it below:

I know it's a wagon but the front end is encouraging.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:39 AM
Suzuka Master

looks like an updated civic front with an audi a6 wagon body...
Old 11-07-2001, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Heh~! That does look a lot better~! wut about the new TL? Any news on that?
Old 11-07-2001, 04:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

that is SO FUGLY! looks like a photoshoped civic... not saying the new civics are bad...(the new civics are actually very good looking and not cheap looking like older ones)
Old 11-07-2001, 11:05 PM
Retired MOD

Thumbs down

Oh please those pictures are photoshop.

About the RWD, I think acura is going to stick to FWD or go to AWD.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by BlackShadow

Actually your grammar is pretty good compared to a few people on this board.

After a while you tend to know how to read "inside the line". Meaning you can decipher what the other person is saying.:p
That's me! I know I'm bad too...:p
Old 05-23-2002, 02:33 PM
2nd Gear

Smile In Reply to Xtrema's post with regards to the new 03 Accord

Hi,

I currently own a 00 Honda Accord Coupe EX Manual. I swore I would never own a 4 cylinder but my vow to never drive an automatic overrode it. In any case, I adore the car--the only thing I would have preferred to it was the Prelude but it was either the Prelude or the Accord + a house. In any case, my lease is almost up and I have been aching to see pics of the new accord because I heard of the increased horse power and the availability of the 6 cylinder in the stick. But I saw a few different links now of the new version and I'm not happy. Perhaps some may think the current Coupe is plain but I love it because the styling isn't square nor has it jumped on the futuristic 'round concept' bandwagon. This new accord looks like anything between a chrysler, civic, talon cross from the front and a Solara, Acura CL, Cougar, Mercedes from the back. Make up your mind, Honda. If they couldn't come up with something great the worst they could have done is to take the supposed "finer" points of every car on the road and jumble them together. The accord coupe's current tail sets it apart--they should have modified that as opposed to adopting two separate tailights as we see on every car on the road today. I like that my current car resembles the backend of the NSX. Who could ask for more? As far as the pics posted at hollywoodextra.com--they are the best version I've seen (of the coupe). I don't know about the sedan but the photo of the coupe is accurate. My boyfriend used to sell Hondas and still has access to some material. He saw the new accord pics months ago so I sent him the link to verify the photo's validity and he insists it's the same car. Let's hope the car itself is better than it appears...

xbrx:wow:
Old 05-23-2002, 02:49 PM
2nd Gear

One more thing...

...if anyone plans on selling a 00 + white Prelude sometime towards the end of this year, I'm game. If the new Accord just doesn't cut it, I'll settle for my first love :p