New owner of a 2003 TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
New owner of a 2003 TL-S

Hello everyone,

I just bought my first Acura TL. I had to get me the Type S while I was at it ;-).
I went on a weekend getaway with it as soon as I got it registered.
long story short;
bought earlier this month.
Got my paycheck and registered the TL on the 15th.
Vacationed from the 17-19.
On the 23rd the transmission locked up as I was driving home.
After towing it home I started looking for solutions and stumbled into this massive community called Acurazine and have been reading all kinds of threads since.
Today I made an account and I would like to introduce myself to everyone!

Aside from my story, I am a proud owner of a sexy Black 2003 Acura TL Type S!
I don't have pictures of the car posted yet because it won't let me yet.

My nickname for the car is B&B. (Black and Beautiful)
Old 08-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
Originally Posted by NellyBGL
Hello everyone,

I just bought my first Acura TL. I had to get me the Type S while I was at it ;-).
I went on a weekend getaway with it as soon as I got it registered.
long story short;
bought earlier this month.
Got my paycheck and registered the TL on the 15th.
Vacationed from the 17-19.
On the 23rd the transmission locked up as I was driving home.
After towing it home I started looking for solutions and stumbled into this massive community called Acurazine and have been reading all kinds of threads since.
Today I made an account and I would like to introduce myself to everyone!

Aside from my story, I am a proud owner of a sexy Black 2003 Acura TL Type S!
I don't have pictures of the car posted yet because it won't let me yet.

My nickname for the car is B&B. (Black and Beautiful)
Welcome! What's your plans for getting it fixed, mine is also down right now. I just tryig to find a shop that will swap in a accord v6 tranny for me.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Cruisin'

From what ive learned the 2006-2007 accord v6 transmission should be a bolt on with minimal modification. Ive found one at a local junkyard using car-parts.com their asking 1200 for the transmission. The only thing i would lose using one of those transmissions is the LSD. Honestly i could care less. This is a very nice car and lsd is only really useful when launching. For my daily driving use, this seems like a cost effective solution.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:18 PM

From what ive learned the 2006-2007 accord v6 transmission should be a bolt on with minimal modification. Ive found one at a local junkyard using car-parts.com their asking 1200 for the transmission. The only thing i would lose using one of those transmissions is the LSD. Honestly i could care less. This is a very nice car and lsd is only really useful when launching. For my daily driving use, this seems like a cost effective solution.
You don't have LSD only manual Acura transmissions had it, so your not really losing anything except money to pay for the transmission.
The following users liked this post:
NellyBGL (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Cruisin'

Oh my bad, but I figured it was the Type S had lsd. How about the tiptronic feature? Will that be a casualty on top of the money being spent?
Old 08-24-2012, 06:13 PM

Oh my bad, but I figured it was the Type S had lsd. How about the tiptronic feature? Will that be a casualty on top of the money being spent?
No that is controlledby the ecu not the tranny
Old 08-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Cruisin'

I read another post where the individual had his tranny replaced with an 06 accord tranny and loves it. Now i'm wondering if there are any more people/members that have tried this and could provide more insight.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 PM

I read another post where the individual had his tranny replaced with an 06 accord tranny and loves it. Now i'm wondering if there are any more people/members that have tried this and could provide more insight.
I can think of probably at least 6-8 people I just can't think of te names, that have swapped accord and are happy with the results thus far.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
see the thread on swap for more info

thats too much for the trans,,by about double
Old 08-25-2012, 07:37 AM

Here is one of the threads.
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/transmission-solved-2006-2007-accord-tranny-works-great-841309/

@01tl4tl- it really depends on the area and the amount of miles on the transmission. The one I got was 1050& with 29,xxx miles and has a 6 month warranty.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Cruisin'

The one they have listed is asking $1200 with 83### miles on it with a 6 month warranty. I've been told to try acura care first before trying the swap. Two of my coworkers own second gen tl's and both had transmission troubles. One ended up having the dealership replace his for free and the other did the accord v6 swap. i hope i can luck out and get some free service but if not it was worth a try. Ill call them up and seewhat happens.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:50 PM

The one they have listed is asking $1200 with 83### miles on it with a 6 month warranty. I've been told to try acura care first before trying the swap. Two of my coworkers own second gen tl's and both had transmission troubles. One ended up having the dealership replace his for free and the other did the accord v6 swap. i hope i can luck out and get some free service but if not it was worth a try. Ill call them up and seewhat happens.
Thats alot of money for one with that many miles
Old 08-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Cruisin'

Thank you for letting me know i was about to get jacked.
I just bought an 07 accord v6 tranny with 35000 miles tested and warranty for $650. it is a little road trip to go pick it up but ill be picking it up either Friday or Saturday.
aside from the transmission itself is their anything else ill need to buy? solenoids, sensors, filters, etc... (fresh honda atf((how much?))
Ill be doing this myself with some help but i just wanna know what needs to be transferred.

In other news I'm working on painting one of my cars.
I have a 2002 Honda Accord Ex 4cyl 5speed that had some serious clear coat peeling so i've sanded down the whole car and decided to make an outdoors paint booth. The booth is completely assembled and its big as hell! It Feels like a one room apartment. I'll post pictures once this website allows me to. I got all the paint supplies, guns, cleaners, thinners, activators, car, booth ready to go. Now i just need some time and 80+ degree weather to start spraying the primer. Until then I'll be doing dent and ding repair to make the car as perfect as possible.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 PM

Wow I need to look again. What website did you use to find that?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Cruisin'

Use car-parts.com
Ive been using it for about 2 years for everything. just put in the information it asks about the vehicle, part your looking for and then it will ask you what variation of the car your looking for (automatic/manual, 4cyl/6cyl, etc) then list it by distance (far right, just click "Dist") scroll through the list until you find something close to you with a decent price. The one i'm picking up is 95 miles away.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:21 PM

Use car-parts.com
Ive been using it for about 2 years for everything. just put in the information it asks about the vehicle, part your looking for and then it will ask you what variation of the car your looking for (automatic/manual, 4cyl/6cyl, etc) then list it by distance (far right, just click "Dist") scroll through the list until you find something close to you with a decent price. The one i'm picking up is 95 miles away.
Yeah that's the website I use. Everything pretty much within 800 miles of me is at least 1000$ with low mileage.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Cruisin'

Honestly if you try to you can negotiate a lower price with the managers. These are small businesses and much of their stock doesn't move quickly. Especially higher price tag items they might be willing to let go of for $200 dollars off. Your not going outta your way to pick up their part for nothing
Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 PM

Honestly if you try to you can negotiate a lower price with the managers. These are small businesses and much of their stock doesn't move quickly. Especially higher price tag items they might be willing to let go of for $200 dollars off. Your not going outta your way to pick up their part for nothing
Yeah I am going to negotiate a lower price for it and your post just helps prove that I can get it for a lower price than what there asking.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
outdoors paint booth

In other news I'm working on painting one of my cars.
I have a 2002 Honda Accord Ex 4cyl 5speed that had some serious clear coat peeling so i've sanded down the whole car and decided to make an outdoors paint booth. The booth is completely assembled and its big as hell! It Feels like a one room apartment. I'll post pictures once this website allows me to. I got all the paint supplies, guns, cleaners, thinners, activators, car, booth ready to go. Now i just need some time and 80+ degree weather to start spraying the primer. Until then I'll be doing dent and ding repair to make the car as perfect as possible.
This is really kool, sorta like a greenhouse ? Hope the weather holds out with fall right around the corner. Do you have an exhaust fan also ?
The EX Accord with the 4cly/5spd is a reliable combo. Nice car ! Take your time with prepping it. When you spray the primer, let the first coat dry and shoot a second coat of primer in a different color. That way, when block wet-sanding, you can pick up all the imperfections easier. If you have a lot of stone chips or scratch marks try some heavier surface filler type of primer to help level out the area. Good luck with the ghetto booth !

PS, sorry about being off subject. That was a steal on the tranny. Don't be working on both projects at the same time due to contamination, ha....ha !
Old 08-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Cruisin'

I personally love the car and driving stick but i don't find it fun with the car only having a CAI there is no thrill, just a hassle commuting to work. As for sanding, I used a D/A and went to town on whole car. Block sanded to 400 grit and now it sits. I see some low spots im planning on fixing today and hopefully ill be priming. The ventilation is being handled with a positive pressure system. Two box fans blowing air in through 3M air filters and two exhaust filters. The fans are on the outside to prevent any chance of ignition. The entire structure is PVC wrapped in 6 mil plastic. It stands 22' long by 12' wide and 15' tall at the peak. I made a pitched roof so rain doesn't pool up on top. its tall enough to park my brothers 97 dodge ram 2500 6cyl turbo diesel. The truck helped get us reach high enough to assemble the roof while we were standing on the utilibody. (also being 6'2" also helped
Old 09-04-2012, 01:49 AM
Cruisin'

Just an update, this labor day weekend was as labor filled as it could have been. Friday I drove to new Hampshire to pick up the trannys. Saturday I worked on my cousins car. The sunday we worked on my TL. Monday morning came along and the game was on. We started at noon of Monday and finished the transmission swap by 1:50am Tuesday morning. I just dropped my cousin off and at 2:45am I made it home and now am posting this before another long week of work and school passes me by. Anyways the swap was pretty straight forward as far as taking apart the car and putting it back together that's a long journey. This is not for the people with little patience.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:43 AM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
Ive got my 06 AV6 Tranny for about +700 Bucks in a Local Junkyard... 1K for It?? Perhaps Shipped but Locally? They are Nuts...