A new member for the transmission club

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Just enjoying the ride!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry A new member for the transmission club

Well I thought I was home free, then on my way to Tampa International this morning. I went to pass someone and the trans started slipping. Then I was on the Howard Franklin Bridge doing 70mph when the car suddenly downshifted HARD! I thought I was going through tthe windshield. Scared the Sh*t out of me. Trying to go up the parking decks at the airport was a trick with the trans slipping badly, but I made it then made it out of the parking garage to an area where I could be flat-beded to my dealership. My car is a 2003 TLP with 34800 miles. What is upsetting is that my vin is not included in the transmission extended warranty. When I brought this up with the Acura service rep he told me that Acura has been very stand up about this problem and have covered transmissions outside the warranty. The only thing thy want to see is that you had the trans fluid changed every 30k by the dealership. I received A TSX loaner, which is nice, but I miss the V6 vs the 4banger. I'm not sur Acura has been stand up about this, or they would have recalled all these transmisions and fixed this once and for all. I have read about many members on this site on their 3rd and 4th trans now. Well I will keep my fingers crossed. I hope you welcome me with open arms to the trans failure club.

Chris
Old 11-07-2005, 06:16 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Yeah you really have to be in tune with the car to be able to predict a downshift coming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can pulling it into SS save you from a sudden 5->2 downshift?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Yeah you really have to be in tune with the car to be able to predict a downshift coming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can pulling it into SS save you from a sudden 5->2 downshift?
Not really. If you noticed the slipping you should change yourt driving style because it s about to happen at any time. (know from the 4 that happened to me and cought every one before it died) And i will correct you, using SS wil not save you from a sudden down shift.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:37 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Not really. If you noticed the slipping you should change yourt driving style because it s about to happen at any time. (know from the 4 that happened to me and cought every one before it died) And i will correct you, using SS wil not save you from a sudden down shift.
Damn and I thought I read somewhere that by popping it into the SS gate, you could save yourself from a sudden downshift - but I guess not since it's still the computer controlling it.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Damn and I thought I read somewhere that by popping it into the SS gate, you could save yourself from a sudden downshift - but I guess not since it's still the computer controlling it.
Actually i believe its the clutchplates not being able to hold and not the computers doing (fla-tl chime in and correct me if im wrong????)
Old 11-07-2005, 08:54 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Yes please correct him... he's been busy correcting me tonight and I want revenge.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Instructor

So will Acura replace the transmissions or free if you keep records of all tranny oil changes?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bdturbo
So will Acura replace the transmissions or free if you keep records of all tranny oil changes?
they will replace them for free if you are within the 7year 100k period
Old 11-09-2005, 08:43 AM
Instructor

I finally got my 2002 TL-S last night. I bought it from the local Acura dealer where my friend works. He told me all about the trans problem. He said yes its free and a rental car up to a 100K and he said even after that, if it goes out they will still replace it for free. He said the dealership here in Wilmington is very understanding about the problem. Just wanted to let you guys know what I was told from my friend who works for Acura!
Old 11-09-2005, 10:47 PM
On the way!

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Actually i believe its the clutchplates not being able to hold and not the computers doing (fla-tl chime in and correct me if im wrong????)
Yes - it's a physical problem in the unit. The PCM is not commanding that downshift.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by csilano

Well I thought I was home free, then on my way to Tampa International this morning. I went to pass someone and the trans started slipping. Then I was on the Howard Franklin Bridge doing 70mph when the car suddenly downshifted HARD! I thought I was going through tthe windshield. Scared the Sh*t out of me. Trying to go up the parking decks at the airport was a trick with the trans slipping badly, but I made it then made it out of the parking garage to an area where I could be flat-beded to my dealership. My car is a 2003 TLP with 34800 miles. What is upsetting is that my vin is not included in the transmission extended warranty. When I brought this up with the Acura service rep he told me that Acura has been very stand up about this problem and have covered transmissions outside the warranty. The only thing thy want to see is that you had the trans fluid changed every 30k by the dealership. I received A TSX loaner, which is nice, but I miss the V6 vs the 4banger. I'm not sur Acura has been stand up about this, or they would have recalled all these transmisions and fixed this once and for all. I have read about many members on this site on their 3rd and 4th trans now. Well I will keep my fingers crossed. I hope you welcome me with open arms to the trans failure club.

Chris
Did you replace your tranny at Ferman Acura or Crown Acura? How is their service?
Old 11-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fla-tls
Yes - it's a physical problem in the unit. The PCM is not commanding that downshift.
Thats what i thought
Old 11-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Racer

makes sense, its like hanging off a cliff.. slipping... slipping.. oh shit you fall and hit 2nd gear
Old 11-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Just enjoying the ride!

Update

I had the trans replaced at Gettel Acura in Sarasota. They were very good about it. Towed in on a Monday had the car back Friday. I did place a call to Acura because my VIN falls outside the extended warranty range, so my trans is only covered for 4 years/ 50,000 miles. I simplay asked to be included in the extended warranty. This sucks because it is kinda obvious that my car is affected by this design flaw. The rep told me I would have to purchase an extended warranty to be covered. I am waition for a call back from the regional service manager to see what he says. My TL is my 4th Honda / Acura purchase and may be my last if they offer me no piece of mind. I dont like having the lingering feeling thet the cars trans could fail at any time, and will I be able to control it again. I hate feeling the need to baby the car. The service manager at the dealership told me that Acura has been very "stand up" about this issue. I dont agree one bit or they would have fixed the problem and issued a recall to the 4 vehicles across 2 brands that are affected. He said as long as you have the trans fluid changed every 30k at a dealership they will cover you. I want something in writing. Are there any other members in the same boat as me? I would like to know what you have done.

Thanks

Chris
Old 11-16-2005, 12:41 AM
9th Gear

I too, sadly, had to take my car into the dealer today - Hoehn Acura in Carlsbad. They will receive the replacement tranny this Friday. I inquired if they are new or remanufactured. And the answer, of course, was it is remanufactured. My TL is 2001, 62500 miles. Still have the original Mich tires on it... No other problems until this.

I first noticed the problem on Friday; Yesterday it was very noticeable. So it took it in. bummer, I share everyone's pain. I can't afford to buy a new car, otherwise I would sell it after I got it repaired. From reading a few posts it seems like many have gone through several trannys! Not looking forward to that.

BTW does anyone know if the new TL has a better tranny? oh well, irrelevant, since I aint got no money anyway.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Just enjoying the ride!

Acura's response

Well just got a call back from Acura. They have no problem issuing an extended warrranty on my TL's transmission (7years /100k) if because I live in Florida sign a release not to pursue any LEMON LAW claims on the car. They are sending the paperwork for me to look at, and if I agree they will send me a warranty certificate.

What do you guys think? I may have to take a gool look at Florida's lemon law before I make my choice.

Chris
Old 11-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Racer

That's interesting, the part about Acura asking you to sign a release. Since the tranny is a known problem, does selling it violate any state lemon law?
Old 11-16-2005, 02:12 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

In some states, like CA, the lemon laws aren't restricted to 1 year/12000 miles. So maybe FL is the same way?

Look into that.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Just enjoying the ride!

The rep told me cars with vin's outside the extended warranty range were fixed on the assembly line. I said "oh really" as I was thinking that is a bunch of crap. were they on lunch during assembly of my TL? I guess what they want in exchange for the extended warranty is a written statement that I will not come after Acura for items outside the warranty. I am not sure if that is a good idea. From what I have read here there are more than a few owners who have had multiple tranny's replaced. So I guess if i were to have an accident due to a trans failure I would not be able to sue Acura for the faulty trans. There has to be a better answer.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:40 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I don't think you can sue Acura if you wreck because of a transmission failure anyway, now that NHTSA has investigated and Acura has offered the oil jet kit that should prevent the transmission locking up.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Banned

Downshifting is supposed to happen when you slow below the lower limit of a gear, so the computer has a sensor (maybe on the clutch plates) that tells it when to shift down. I want to know if anyone has had luck disabling this sensor?
It would make SS capable of stalling the engine, just as in a manual, but maybe this would stop the bad tranny problem.

NOTE: this would probably also disable automatic shifting, so beware. Do it at your own risk, but if you know the warranty won't hep you and the tranny is already going out, give it a shot, and let us know how you fare.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NoSupport
Downshifting is supposed to happen when you slow below the lower limit of a gear, so the computer has a sensor (maybe on the clutch plates) that tells it when to shift down. I want to know if anyone has had luck disabling this sensor?
It would make SS capable of stalling the engine, just as in a manual, but maybe this would stop the bad tranny problem.

NOTE: this would probably also disable automatic shifting, so beware. Do it at your own risk, but if you know the warranty won't hep you and the tranny is already going out, give it a shot, and let us know how you fare.
thats not they way automatic trannies work. and there is no sensor on the clutchpacks. the valvebodies are the main thing that controls shifting if memory remembers correctly
Old 11-17-2005, 12:13 AM
On the way!

No... they don't work like that at all. BTW - it's the torque converter that keeps the engine from stalling - which has nothing to do with SS, any gears, or sensors...
Old 11-17-2005, 12:28 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
i think im next, when i push the gas pedal a little harder to go into a lower gear (going uphill on a highway) the rpms shoot up for a sec and the car hit the gear, then it goes down
Old 11-17-2005, 02:32 PM
9th Gear

Update here in Carlsbad - Hoehn had the car done in one day (yesterday). They said Acura had over-nighted the transmission... (how is that possible it must not be that big or heavy)...

BTW they "forced" me to pay to replace the tranmission mount which they claimed was broken. I have no way to know if they were being honest or not...
Old 11-18-2005, 02:11 AM
Banned

No... they don't work like that at all. BTW - it's the torque converter that keeps the engine from stalling - which has nothing to do with SS, any gears, or sensors...
Oh well, so much for that idea. I really ought to study up more on the mechanics of cars. I do electronics so much I'm just used to there being a software patch that fixes the oddest of things.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
i think im next, when i push the gas pedal a little harder to go into a lower gear (going uphill on a highway) the rpms shoot up for a sec and the car hit the gear, then it goes down
Yep souns like a dying tranny

Originally Posted by dfigu
Update here in Carlsbad - Hoehn had the car done in one day (yesterday). They said Acura had over-nighted the transmission... (how is that possible it must not be that big or heavy)...

BTW they "forced" me to pay to replace the tranmission mount which they claimed was broken. I have no way to know if they were being honest or not...
The TL tranny is the heavies tranny ive ever lifted (other than a allison tranny for a HD chevy truck) They overnight on semi, they did it with 2 of mine.
as for the Mount, How did they "force" you into having it replaced?? If they said it was bad odds are it was. they fail fairly often on teh TL and while replacing teh tranny is the easiest and cheapest way to replace it. I highly doubt they wanted to make a buck on you like your kinda making it sound like