New car, oil indicator

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2000, 04:08 PM

Post New car, oil indicator

Hi all,

I'm about to buy new Acura TL w/Nav. I'm in SF Bay Area, where most dealerships don't have them in stock. Waiting list, about 3 weeks. But as I just totaled my previos car (Toyota Corolla), I need the new car ASAP. Fortunately, yesterday one of the dealers called me and said they have one canceled Acura TL w/Nav, exactly the color that I want (dark blue). I had test drive this morning. I like the car very much, but there's one strange thing about it:

The oil indicator went on when I turned the engine on, and it was on all the time of the test drive. The salesperson told me that the car is completely new, just from the factory, so probably something was not set up yet, mechanics will take care of it, it's no problem, and so on. However, it sounds strange to me.

(Also, btw, the car was quite dirty - she said it's also because it's just delivered last night. I saw some other new cars have... uhm... you know, white protective tape, I don't know how it's called exactly. This one had none of them.)

What do you guys think?
Old 11-07-2000, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I keep the rental from the insurance company and wait for the one I wanted. It just sounds shaddy IMHO.

------------------
2000 Laguana Green / NAVI, 2 x JL12W6s, Pioneer Premier P920R, MB Quarts Coaxial, PPI 2600.2 and 4400.2 , Pioneer 620 6Disc
My Acura
Old 11-07-2000, 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Yea, but those dark blue ones are kind of hard to come by. How many miles? maybe see if they can fix the oil light, or perhaps check the oil yourself. Probably too late to check it, though - bet it's fixed already and you'll never know what was up...

------------------
'01 WDP TL
Momo shift, wing, tint, Whistler 6-band.
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
BBS, Kenwood 'Flip-face,' Fosgate Fanatic 4.9, Fosgate 8", Boston Acoustics.
Old 11-08-2000, 07:03 AM
Drifting

Yeah, how many miles were on it. Maybe the car was a demo or something.
Old 11-08-2000, 08:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

I wanted the Blue as well, but the dude in atlanta couldn't get one. The guy in Athens I finally got my Laguna from said if the guy in Atlanta didn't have a blue one, it's cuz he didn't order any, it's not that they're rare, they just don't order them. I was saddened cuz I dearly wanted that color.. but I LOVE the Laguna.. hides dirt much too well..

Anyway.. if insurance is paying a rental, get the one you want. If that one only has under a hundred miles, don't bug with it.

But to qualify as a "demo" it has to be within 5000-6000 miles. Had a guy try to sell me a demo for $29,5 walk out.. I almost spit up in his face. I ended up getting mine for $29,4 walkout brand spankin new with mats and guards.

Whatever you do.. don't be hasty, and you will enjoy the car.

------------------
Had 1989 Black CRX Si (Cracker)
Have 1998 Black Currant Accord EX4 Coupe (Watson)
Have 2000 Laguna/Fern TL (Sherlock)
Old 11-08-2000, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If its only a 3week wait then wait.
That oil light might be something or just a fluke.Who only knows whats up with our cars before we get them but the miles should tell alot.I had 10 miles the day I picked it up.
I saw the car 2 days before my final paperwork was done.When I saw it the car had 8miles salesman showed me what stuff was put on like the spoiler & visor & what was not on like underbody also showed me car cover was in trunk.Then he went to start it up & car would crank but did not fire up he said it was low on gas.I think this was correct but I was thinking to myself whats wrong with this car.I have had no problems with starting over the past year.The light could mean low oil or just problem with light itself.
Old 11-08-2000, 06:50 PM

Thanks everyone!

Regarding the car's mileage... I feel quite stupid now, but I was so exited about the car and all its bells and whistles (especially the Navigation system), that I forgot to check the mileage. Can you beleive it! Well, I have almost no experince in car buing, so next time I'll be more organized. Will check the car tomorrow; hope it's not sold yet.

Old 11-14-2000, 07:28 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Did you consider the obvious - checking the oil level in your presence after the drive????