Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Needing recommendations on brake rotors and pads

Cross-drilled or Gas-slotted rotors?

Also, what brake pad is recommended?

Thanks.........

------------------
1999 Acura 3.2TL
Black with Ebony
Bridgestone Potenza RE730 (size: 225/55ZR-16 on stock rims)
AEM Cold Air Intake and Bi-Pass Valve
Comptech Headers
Mugen Exhaust
Comptech Sport Springs
Comptech Swaybars
Wings West Spoiler
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 02-16-2001, 11:18 PM

Try these out.
http://www.ebc-brakes.com/autopads.htm
Old 02-16-2001, 11:29 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Please don't get the EBC pads. There was a groupbuy a while back at www.honda-acura.net forum and everybody complained about them.

There are 3 that I would reccomend. First is Axxis Metal Mater. Second is Porterfeld. Third is AEM/Nissin, which Snook carries along with the Axxis pads.

I would go with crossdrilled rotors, they look cool. And you don't have to worry about cracking because you won't be running them that hard to do it, unless you autocross often.

------------------
Honda-Acura.net TL Forum Moderator.

1999 Silver with factory body kit, spoiler and burlwood instrument cluster and shift knob. Joshua Tree Wood dash kit. Hella air horns. Tint all around. Razo competition pedals. MOMO Sport 18"X7.5" with 225/40ZR Pirelli P7000SS. Weapon-R intake. Comptech springs, exhaust and headers. Inspire Tailights, homemade ram-air and Polarg M-12 front turn signals. Comptech front and rear sway bar. Axxis Metal Master front and rear pads.

My AcuraTL Homepage

NEW: '01 Acura MDX Silver Premium

Front 35% tinted windows. Running boards. Roof rack. Tailgate deflector. Moonroof visor. Rear mud guards. Razo premium white headlight bulbs. Matriz ion yellow fog light bulbs(courtesy of Snook). More to come later......

Acura-MDX.com Forum Moderator

Old 02-17-2001, 01:14 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
From what I understand, slotted rotor is better on the stree, and will give you less wear out on the pad.

I would go with the Cross-drilled however, if I got a 18' rim. That will look really pimp. But if with stock rim, I had rather get the gas-slotted.

Oh, and I heard that corss-drilled rotor will not give you much increase in stopping power on the street when compared to a slotted rotor. Because you don't push the break to the limit. Therefore... I think Cross-drill is more of a good looking thing, just like 19' rim... No offense to those who got 19's
Old 02-17-2001, 09:58 AM
Instructor

I FOUND THIS INFO ON GAS-SLOTTED VS. CROSS-DRILLED, AND THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE IT WITH YOU GUYS!

"Gas slots in the rotor face have several advantages over cross-drilled holes:

Since brakes are essentially heat-sinks, the more mass you have the better you are. Bigger IS better. When you drill a rotor full of holes, you remove quite a bit of material, and drop the surface area under the pad. This places greater heat stress on what's left, and this is one of the reasons why cross-drilled rotors tend to warp so fast. While there is an increase in COOLING surface area, this is overshadowed by the other factors.

Since the internal webbing is only drilled through occasionally, it is usually necessary to re-balance the assembly. Gas slots are only .050" deep, and there are only three grooves per side. Significantly less mass is removed, preserving the brakes' ability to absorb heat. This is especially helpful for autocrosses and driver's schools where rotor warping is common.

The entire pad is swept as the groove passes, as opposed to only where the holes would pass. This greatly enhances wet weather performance, and allows removal of the brake backing plates, almost doubling the airflow to the rotors.

Because the slots do not go all the way through the rotor, the structural integrity is much greater, and in fact approaches a stock rotor.

The depth of the groove makes an excellent visual wear indicator. When the rotors are worn to the point that the grooves are almost gone, it's time for new rotors!"

------------------
1999 Acura 3.2TL
Black with Ebony
Bridgestone Potenza RE730 (size: 225/55ZR-16 on stock rims)
AEM Cold Air Intake and Bi-Pass Valve
Comptech Headers
Mugen Exhaust
Comptech Sport Springs
Comptech Swaybars
Wings West Spoiler
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 02-17-2001, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Take a look at Mintex pads, awesome for the track.