Need some advice on polishing

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need some advice on polishing

Hey guys,

well you know that you've become as obsessed as I am, when you look at the forecast ahead of time, and have planned out when the best time to wax your baby. For me it's gonna happen this thursday. I'm taking the car to my buddy's shop where it's gonna get hand washed and dried, then I'm driving home, and will apply cleaner, polish and wax.

My buddy agreed to hook me up with some of his speed glaze that he uses on customers cars. He claims that when used in conjunction with an orbital polisher, and then a fresh coat of wax is applied on top of it, the shine is second to none.

My question is, has anyone on this forum had experience with any of meguiar's professional line of polishes? I checked the website, and the speed glaze, seems to be the right product for removing the remaining swirls and light scratches that the cleaner may have missed, and at the same time, bringing out a magnificant shine in the paint.

what do you all think???

let me know...btw I'm a little hesistant with getting the car washed and then driving the car home, and applying the products. Won't dust get trapped, and then I will be applying product on top of the dust, which is just a recipe for disaster in terms of swirls and scratches. What should I do as a prep when I get home to ensure no dust or dirt is on the paint?

thanks guys.

BTW I'm only going to him to have the car hand washed to save myself the aggrivation and time, as I have to have the car done by 4pm on thursday. So I figured having him do the wash will save me an abundance of time.

later.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Need some advice on polishing

Originally posted by sc354
Hey guys,

well you know that you've become as obsessed as I am, when you look at the forecast ahead of time, and have planned out when the best time to wax your baby. For me it's gonna happen this thursday. I'm taking the car to my buddy's shop where it's gonna get hand washed and dried, then I'm driving home, and will apply cleaner, polish and wax.

My buddy agreed to hook me up with some of his speed glaze that he uses on customers cars. He claims that when used in conjunction with an orbital polisher, and then a fresh coat of wax is applied on top of it, the shine is second to none.

My question is, has anyone on this forum had experience with any of meguiar's professional line of polishes? I checked the website, and the speed glaze, seems to be the right product for removing the remaining swirls and light scratches that the cleaner may have missed, and at the same time, bringing out a magnificant shine in the paint.

what do you all think???

let me know...btw I'm a little hesistant with getting the car washed and then driving the car home, and applying the products. Won't dust get trapped, and then I will be applying product on top of the dust, which is just a recipe for disaster in terms of swirls and scratches. What should I do as a prep when I get home to ensure no dust or dirt is on the paint? I have a duster which is specially designed for cars, so I assume I could simply go over the car a few times with that to remove all dust and particles from the paint....will this work?

thanks guys.

BTW I'm only going to him to have the car hand washed to save myself the aggrivation and time, as I have to have the car done by 4pm on thursday. So I figured having him do the wash will save me an abundance of time.

later.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uh...any reason you quoted yourself there?

I find Meguiar's OK, but NOTHING, and i mean NOTHING, beats Zaino products. Read some testamonials on these forums and others. And do a Google search for reviews; here's a good one on the Zaino Z1/Z2 vs. some other popular waxes:

http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html
Old 02-24-2004, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
meguiars professional stuff is great and when all teh steps are applied correctly you would never be able to tell the difference between that and zaino.
zaino is great stuff dont get me wrong, but if you have access to a orbital/or high speed polisher you can get teh best results with those. as long as there is some one who knows what there doing with it. i love the meguires line, its what i use after painting cars (after wetsanding) to buff, polish, glaze, and wax
Old 02-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by fsttyms1
meguiars professional stuff is great and when all teh steps are applied correctly you would never be able to tell the difference between that and zaino.
zaino is great stuff dont get me wrong, but if you have access to a orbital/or high speed polisher you can get teh best results with those. as long as there is some one who knows what there doing with it. i love the meguires line, its what i use after painting cars (after wetsanding) to buff, polish, glaze, and wax
ok well here is what I planned on doing this thursday. I will not be doing my spring special on the car, which consists of using dawn dish soap, then claying the car, the using meguiar's shampoo and conditioner car wash, and then starting with all the steps.

What I planned on doing this thursday was washing the car up and down. Then starting with meguiar's step 1 paint cleaner to remove the majority of my swirl marks, and fine scratches, and I will apply this using a terry cloth orbital polisher/buffer, then after letting that settle and removing that with a microfiber towel, I would then apply the speed glaze using the high speed orbital polisher and applying that coat with the synthetic sheep skin which I purchased specially for the simoniz polisher that I have. On the package which included 3 terry cloth applicators, one sheep skin applicator, and finally a wax applicator, it states that you can apply the polish using this sheep skin polisher and it is clear coat safe. After I have applied a coat of this speed glaze, I will again remove it with a different micro fiber towel, and finish my detailing with meguiar's gold class wax.

Let me know if my detailing steps sounds correct, and also if this will give me a good shine.

One more thing guys. What step should I repeat in order to enhance final shine? I'm guessing it would be a toss up between the polishing and the waxing. I want to get the wettest look that I possibly can.

thanks guys.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, when was the last time you clay'd ? I know you're time schedule is tight, but I'd still fit a clay session in there (prior to the paint cleaning). Unless your recently did it or it passes the "sandwich bag" test.

Meguiars makes a good pro line. Which paint cleaner are you using ? Medallion ?
Which Glaze ? #7 ? I haven't used it yet, but from what I understand it's very oily (gives it the wet look) and can take some time to remove. Again, I haven't used it so I'm not sure.

You might want to look into Meg's new NXT wax instead of the Gold Class. Just a thought.

The help enhance the final shine, finish it up with Meg's Final Inspection or Final Detail. Those QDs will also help after you do regular washes.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

ZAINO it.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:32 PM

Make sure you clay before you wax. Clay baring is one the most important step when detailing and people seem to forget about it...
Old 02-24-2004, 07:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

I clayed it in the summer, and from what I can see, the paint seems to not require a clay barring as of now. It definitely will be able to hold up until the spring. I recently had the car handwashed and at that time when the car was still wet, I placed my finger on the hood of the car, and went vertically, and couldn't feel any contaminants at all...does this mean I don't require a clay barring?

I know that clay barring will help substantially, but to be honest I don't have the time, nor do I think it is necessary at a time like this...this seems to be a quick indian summer starting on thursday and it's falling right in the middle of winter. Chances are, by monday you won't even be able to tell that I washed/polish/waxed the car.

I'm not too sure which speed glaze they use, but I think it could be either number 7 or 80...

and I will most likely stick with the gold class wax. My buddy said that the speed glaze is what will make the shine remarkable, and I simply need a decent wax to seal all of the shine in there. I told him I was gonna be using meguiar's gold class, and he said that will be more than enough to seal it in there.

As for it being oily, he did mention in passing that it is a bit oily. I will probably wait about 30 min before removing the polish, just so I can enhance the wet look even more. Applying a coat of polish should only take about 15 min with the orbital polisher...
Old 02-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Senior Moderator

jeff. here is what i would recomend

i would start out with a Wool Pad.
with the wool pad i would recomend either the Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish #83 or Speed Glaze #80 (both to be applied by a rotary polisher) these will eliminate the need for claybaring. and scrub and clean better while smoothing out the cars finish even better!

with the next steps i would switch to the Foam Polishing Pads. (remember to use a different pad for each compound)
then i would switch to the Machine Glaze #3.

then if you wanted to spend a little mor time you could apply Show Car Glaze #7.

then i would go to the High Tech Yellow Wax #26 or the Professional Paste Wax #16.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:52 PM
Cruisin'

all of this is undone by 1, count it...1, careless bird!
Old 02-24-2004, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Cnunemaker
nah thats why you should carry a nice towel and a bottle of quick detail in the car at all times!
Old 02-25-2004, 10:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Bird Bomber

Originally posted by Cnunemaker
Yeah, the ones with the inbred Norden Bombsight looking for TLs.

Jeff,

How much did your detailer quote you on the interior exterior detail??
Planning to get the carpet pooed (shamPOOED that is!) to get rid of the salt and stuff....
Old 02-25-2004, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Unless you have SEVERE swirling, DO NOT USE THE WOOL PAD. If for some reason you are hell bent on using it, put a foam pad under it (between the buffer plate and the wool pad) to absorb the heat that the wool pad gives off. Keep in mind, although an orbital will not cause major swirling, burn-in is a HUGE problem with inexperienced people using wool pads. I've had several cars come in with burned paint from some idiot thinking he knew how to use a wool pad.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

ok guys I want a straight answer here, cause I plan on doing this tomorrow.

will I get a good shine if I simply wash the car, dry it, and then apply paint cleaner, speed glaze, and then seal it all with gold class wax???

if I'm gonna get a good shine from that, then I'm ok with it. I don't wanna do a full fledged detailing tomorrow as it won't last. And plus the car really doesn't need a full waxing, since everytime I wash it, it comes out shining really well.

let me know guys.

thanks
Old 02-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
YES.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
YES.
ok thanks for your help...if the shine turns out really nice...I'll post pix...

later guys.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Advanced

Since we're on the topic

i have been washing my own car now for the past two years. have been noticing alot of swirl marks lately. when i wash my car, i would wash a little section at a time and everytime, i would rinse and wash the clothe before i move onto the next section, trying to wash out all the dirty and dust. anyways, i use zaino products, my question is how many layers of z5 do i have to put on b4 the swirl marks go away?

thanks
Old 02-25-2004, 02:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

just get some J+J Rally wax...

easy on, easy off....

lol..
Old 02-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Advanced

DO NOT wash the car and drive it home before waxing.

I washed and waxed my car last Saturday. #6 Meguires followed by a coat of Mother's Carnauba. Car looks like a million bucks!
Old 02-25-2004, 02:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by dlpickering
DO NOT wash the car and drive it home before waxing.

I washed and waxed my car last Saturday. #6 Meguires followed by a coat of Mother's Carnauba. Car looks like a million bucks!
why shouldn't I drive the car home after it's been washed and dried???

I stated above that I will be going over the car with a detail spray, but before I do that, i will use my duster and remove all the dust that was accumulated on the paint on my way home.

will this be ok?? or should I maybe pass on the speed glaze, and simply use what i have here and do it all myself???

what do you guys think I should do???
Old 02-25-2004, 07:57 PM
Advanced

Any dust or dirt you pick up on the drive may turn your wax applicator into a "fine sandpaper".

Your car is a 2003 so the paint can't be very dirty. Don't get carried away with cleaners that are likely not needed. My wife's '97 Acura EL has never had a clay bar treatment or any harsh cleaner, and it looks fantastic.

Unless you live in an Industrial area where the air is full of contaminants, my advice to you is - keep it simple!
Old 02-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by sc354
why shouldn't I drive the car home after it's been washed and dried???

I stated above that I will be going over the car with a detail spray, but before I do that, i will use my duster and remove all the dust that was accumulated on the paint on my way home.

will this be ok?? or should I maybe pass on the speed glaze, and simply use what i have here and do it all myself???

what do you guys think I should do???
jeff after washing the car and driving it home just use some detail spray to clean the car. i wouldnt worry too much about a little dust and stuff (DRIT yes) the steps i provided will take care of the need to clay bar and if you have tiny scratches it will take them out also.