Need help with a couple of repairs

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Need help with a couple of repairs

First issue. Any advice on how to repair the clearcoat on the black vertical door window panels? I'm not sure if I approach this repair the same way I would with paint clearcoat. Pics below:

The second is the rear view mirror. It has become loose, wobbles and vibrates when driving over rough pavement. I'm not sure on how or what I would need to tighten in order for it be secured or whether I need to replace a part.

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Try a strategic application of a slip of paper for the rear mirror. Else, a new one is in order.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
The door window post panels can be repaired by new replacement adhesive products available or attempt to refinish the posts by painting.

There are "DIY"s and other threads which have more detailed info on the refinishing procedures.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BetterBob
Try a strategic application of a slip of paper for the rear mirror. Else, a new one is in order.
Is a new mirror needed or a new mirror mount (on the windshield)? I'm not sure what actually broke or wore out? I've never had a car with mirror problems like this. The original mirror was actually replaced way back when the car was still under warranty. It had simply fallen off and was hanging by the power cord. This is the second Acura mirror.

I might try the paper idea, however can I simply try to bend the metal brackets on the mirror to better grip the window mount? Maybe add some instant bonding super glue as well?
Old 11-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Everything ya need to know is covered in the 2nd Gen "DIY" sticky !!! Check it out.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
I did my door pillars last year and they were 10x worse than yours. Thx for the pics.

1. Take a 200-400 grit sandpaper and scuff up the surface
2. Clean all the residue off with a damp rag.
3. Take a blue 3m painters tape with lots of newspaper and mask off the area to be painted, tucking the tape behind the pillars.
4. Do one pillar at a time. Let dry completely before moving on to the next one.
5. Use a "black gloss primer and paint in one" to finish depending on humidity and temperature it should dry relatively quick.
6. Optional. Seal with duplicolor clearcoat.

Note: Do not paint outdoors, in a garage with a fan for ventilation or crack open a door is very important not to suck in the nauseous fumes.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Everything ya need to know is covered in the 2nd Gen "DIY" sticky !!! Check it out.
Thanks. That was the first place I checked, however the mirror thread was mostly about a full replacement. In fact, another member posted the same question I have and it was never really answered on why the mirror is loose at the base vs. the lower ball section. Apparently, I may be able to adjust my locking clip, so I will look into that. If that doesn't work, I might just try a silicone adhesive solution.

Originally Posted by Nicks2001tl
I did my door pillars last year and they were 10x worse than yours. Thx for the pics.

1. Take a 200-400 grit sandpaper and scuff up the surface
2. Clean all the residue off with a damp rag.
3. Take a blue 3m painters tape with lots of newspaper and mask off the area to be painted, tucking the tape behind the pillars.
4. Do one pillar at a time. Let dry completely before moving on to the next one.
5. Use a "black gloss primer and paint in one" to finish depending on humidity and temperature it should dry relatively quick.
6. Optional. Seal with duplicolor clearcoat.

Note: Do not paint outdoors, in a garage with a fan for ventilation or crack open a door is very important not to suck in the nauseous fumes.
Thanks. I was hoping a fix was as simple as that. I will hit the auto supply store for the paint and I will grab some clearcoat as well.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
i got lucky with my door pillars back when I had my TL..

found someone selling them in mint condition and snagged them...
Old 08-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Advanced

I thought it was time to provide an update to my original post. I spent some quality time with my 2002 TLS as the car is pretty much the 4th car and my 18 year-old daughter is the primary driver.

She had parked the car outside for three days in the hot Florida sun and the 13 year-old autodimming mirror exploded due to the heat. The fluid dripped down onto the center console and actually ate away at the plastic shift plate. I removed the shift knob, and surrounding plate and was able to sand it smooth and then re spray it and it looks good as new. I also purchased a new OEM auto-dimming rear view mirror and it fits great.

Next up, I decided to tackle the peeling A-pillars by wetsanding and then applying Dulpi-Color primer, black and clear. They came out pretty good and the fix cost less than $20.00.

Another option would be to have these pillars removed and powdercoated. I thought of this after I repainted mine and after I picked up a powder coated alternator cover for my Corvette. The powder coater shop told me they would have done all four pillars for $60.

I applied two coats of corrective polish and two coats of wax. Overall, the car is looking pretty good for being 13 years old with 214K miles on it!