Navigation System Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 08:35 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation System Problem

My 99' TL has been having problems with the navigation system and needs to be replaced. The local dealership is quoting me what seems to be a an outrageous price. $1450.30 for the screen and $3026.20 for the control unit for a total of $4632.50. The system was only a $2000 option, so how can it cost that much to replace it. I am not going to pay that and will probably start looking for another car. Has anyone else had to replace their unit?
Old 09-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
first off....what kind of error messages are you seeing??

more than likely, since you have a '99 which was the only year with the hard drive based system, it's your hard drive that is messin you up
there's a guy around the boards with a website that is all about our navi systems......you can typically find a PCMCIA replacement hard drive on ebay, or you can get a flash card to load the files onto, and a PCMCIA adapter to fit into the head unit in your trunk

i'll see if i can find that guy's website
Old 09-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Racer

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...ght=navi+error

there ya go bro......some error messages are discussed in that thread, but check out the website provided by the member paulmooney or something like that.....his website has tons of info on our systems

hope that helps
Old 09-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It appears to me, that if all you're replacing is the physical screen and the "control unit", then they're taking you to the bank. According to the price list Pohanka Acura uses (in Chantilly, VA), here's the breakdown:

99-01 Navi Screen: $251.78
1999 (a) Control Assembly: $321.78

Total (without labor): $573.56

$4058.94 seems pretty steep for labor charges.... Chances are, with the directions you've been provided above, you'll be able to correct your navi problem. However, this may also tell you something about your dealer.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Racer

i dunno orcaa.....acuraparts247.com has the parts he listed at similar prices to what his dealer quoted him.....they're a little less expensive, just because you're buying online, but nevertheless, very close
i can't get your "price list" to come up

either way, it really depends on what your problem, or error message is
the most typical problem with the 99's has to do with the PCMCIA card

if that's the issue....it's relatively cheap to fix
however, if it's something more serious, like the control unit....you might wanna consider switching to the DVD unit

my .02
Old 09-26-2004, 12:23 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi system problem

The entire story is a bit long. The navi system started to act up about a year ago. Periodically instead of booting up with start up, the screen would have verticle lines on it and you wouldnot be able to see anything including the clock. I found that I could get it to work right by turning the car and restarting it immediately. That worked fine for me because most of my driving is local and I did not need the system. About six weeks ago lightning struck a road sign as I drove by and effectively fried most of my electrical system. It still boots up irregularly but it no longer displays the street names and all trips start at the place where lightning struck. My insurance company has paid for most of the repairs but since the dealership was aware of my intermittent problems with the navi system, they are hesitant to fix the system. I was really happy with the five years I had the car, but now think I might have to replace it with a new 2005.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:48 PM
Racer

wow.....that's just bad luck man....sorry that happened
i can't believe your insurance is stiffing you on the navi system, but i guess all insurance co. are tight-wods.....more money for them

anyway, if you can move up to the 05......more power to ya bro.....hope you enjoy it
Old 09-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by uncsuperman
i dunno orcaa.....acuraparts247.com has the parts he listed at similar prices to what his dealer quoted him.....they're a little less expensive, just because you're buying online, but nevertheless, very close
i can't get your "price list" to come up

either way, it really depends on what your problem, or error message is
the most typical problem with the 99's has to do with the PCMCIA card

if that's the issue....it's relatively cheap to fix
however, if it's something more serious, like the control unit....you might wanna consider switching to the DVD unit

my .02

Hmmm... that's weird. Here's the main site: http://www.pohankaacura.com The price list is under the parts section. Maybe I priced out the wrong parts, but I dunno - there didn't seem to be anything that expensive in the list.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:49 PM
Racer

wow....i see what you're talking about orcaa
i think that website is confusing as hell though....haha

you click on one specific part, and it brings up like the entire navi system in the picture

anyway, i'm not sure what to say......if those prices are right, then damn, when i decide to upgrade my harddrive unit to DVD-based, i'm callin that dealership
Old 09-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Pro

Might want to goto the BBB and make a complaint on that dealership, 4+gs and give them the comparison from another Dealership. Thats Crazy.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Go to this website...His name is Paul and he knows all about the Acura Navigation systems - especially the '99. He has helped me out alot - and his prices are a fraction of the dealers.

http://www.angelfire.com/ga4/99_acura_tl_navi/