My mechanics are idiots - Need technical ammo... Who has worked in a shop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My mechanics are idiots - Need technical ammo... Who has worked in a shop?

To clarify, I work in a shop too, but I work with diesel - big stuff only. I pay my mechanic because I hate small cramped gas engines that I can't fit my hands into.

Ok, now for the long read...

I paid my mechanic to do my timing belt/water pump on 3/19/08. Since then, a coolant leak started. I checked to see where the coolant was coming from, and surprise, it's coming from the cover where the water pump sits. I check to see if they did any work at all, and yes, they did do the timing belt and water pump. See this thread for some clarification...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184807

I take it in yesterday, 7/29 to get it checked out. They call a couple hours later informing me that the leak is NOT from the water pump, but from some other place very near the pump, like a cover in the jacketing. I think this is really odd, but tell them to go for it because they have been doing good work for me the last 3 years... until now.

So that brings us to today, 7/30. They call me and say - "Hey, we made a mistake, it IS the water pump seal, and we have the part (Napa water pump) warrantied. However, you are out of the 6000 mile warranty by about 1000 miles". We talk for a couple minutes and they tell me that they will split the cost of labor with me, and the part is no charge, leaving me with a bill of 168 dollars, about 200ish after tax. I agree this is ok, and tell them I will drop them a check and pick it up when I leave. Ok, here come the problems...

Driving home on the freeway and it smells like burning hydraulic fluid - A smell I am familiar with because of my work. I think maybe some spillage around the engine they didn't clean and head home... Get home, pop hood, power steering fluid EVERYWHERE and the reservoir is still full to the brim! What the hell! The pressure forced the fluid past the cap, all over the place, and on my belts.

At this point, I'm pissed. No hoses broke, it just came out all over from the reservoir. The fluid is black, and could probably use a replacement. Anyways, I'm assuming they took something off with the power steering and when they reassembled, WAY overfilled. Anyways, I didn't want to pull some fluid out and then try to tell them about it, and ruin my case, so I have it towed back to the shop (covered by my insurance company) and it's there right now until the morning.

I will be showing up at 8 when they open. These are my beefs with them, help me here.

1 - What the hell. This is sloppy work 101, and a waste of my time.

2 - Is using Acura/Honda Genuine p/s fluid a necessity like the caps says? I've heard it is.

3 - What should I ask for as far as compensation? I want to have my system flushed, should I even bother? This has been a HUGE wate of time.

4 - Can overfilling this system cause problems? Can mixing fluids cause problems?

Help me, what should I do, say? Am I taking this too far? I think they should have bled it and just overfilled to take care of any air pockets, do you agree?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:55 AM
hates the winter

First, on these cars you should have a honda/acura certified mechaninc ONLY working on the car. Secondly only use OEM replacement parts/fluids (except motor oil/filter) I doubt a NAPA brand water pump will be as reliable as a Honda unit.

IF the power steering fluid was only overfilled, I would have just been sure to drain it back to the proper level, clean up the mess and be happy thats all it is. Never go back to the shop again for obvious reasons.

I doubt there is a problem, but just pick up some Honda/Acura P/S fluid.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:58 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Honda says you need to use Honda power steering fluid. I'm sure it isn't compatible with automatic transmission fluid.

I've heard of this happening on first generation Legends. I don't know the cause, but would guess it could happen if the wrong type of fluid was used and it damaged some of the seals.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Intermediate

I wouldnt take my car back there id just make a big scene and let them know they lost a customer.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
1. Agreed.
2. Yes, it's of a higher viscosity and contains additional anti-wear additives compared to most power steering fluids.
3. Ask them for a refund of your 200 bucks.
4. Overfilling? You saw it yourself. Mixing? Yes, if they used the wrong fluid, but it's unlikely that any damage would have occurred since you were running the mix for such a short time.