my dirty tranny oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
If you put it in neutral, then the fluid inside the torque converter is still trapped. If you put it in Drive, then you're gonna have to drive the car, refill the transmission, and drain all at the same time.

Bad directions. Don't try it. It's not any better than drain/refill x3, without getting the torque converter going in-between... translation = a total waste of time.

Even if you did it on jackstands or a lift, I still wouldn't recommend it; that's like doing an oil change while the engine is running. You ever try pooping while eating? Just ain't gonna work out.
last statement
Old 06-14-2005, 06:27 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you put it in neutral, then the fluid inside the torque converter is still trapped. If you put it in Drive, then you're gonna have to drive the car, refill the transmission, and drain all at the same time.

Bad directions. Don't try it. It's not any better than drain/refill x3, without getting the torque converter going in-between... translation = a total waste of time.

Even if you did it on jackstands or a lift, I still wouldn't recommend it; that's like doing an oil change while the engine is running. You ever try pooping while eating? Just ain't gonna work out.
I think the point of the writer is to get the fluid out from the torque converter also. To illustrate:

new oil ----> tranny ----> torque converter ----> old oil ----> drain ---- || radiator
Old 06-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by progz
I think the point of the writer is to get the fluid out from the torque converter also. To illustrate:

new oil ----> tranny ----> torque converter ----> old oil ----> drain ---- || radiator

Right, but the torque converter isn't gonna move at all if you're sitting in neutral. And if you put it in drive, then you're gonna have to drive, to get the fluid out of the converter. If you think you can drive the car, drain and refill all simultaneously, then go for it. Even then, lack of experience (not just you; 99.99999% of the people probably have never tried this method) could lead to fluid starvation -- then it's bye-bye transmission. Stupidity isn't covered under factory warranty.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Racer

Right, but the torque converter isn't gonna move at all if you're sitting in neutral. And if you put it in drive, then you're gonna have to drive, to get the fluid out of the converter. If you think you can drive the car, drain and refill all simultaneously, then go for it. Even then, lack of experience (not just you; 99.99999% of the people probably have never tried this method) could lead to fluid starvation -- then it's bye-bye transmission. Stupidity isn't covered under factory warranty.
I guess you're right. If you don't control the flow of fluid going in and out then
Old 06-15-2005, 01:34 AM
Intermediate

Even in neutral, the torque converter should spin.

My experience is mainly with Ford automatic transmissions when I interned at the transmissions test plant in livonis, MI , but I'm guessing they should all be same.

I got to take apart one of the transmissions. From what i remember neutral just releases the parking latch (basically a hook on a gear) and allows the main shaft connected to the torque converter to spin freely with the gears not engaged. The torque converter has no locking machanism so it just spins with the engine.

In fact while in park, the main shaft attached to the torque convert is held still while the engine still spins the engine side of the converter. The torque converter is basically two fans blowing oil at each other. So even in park the torque converter should get oil flow, but the transmission won't get any. The t-converter is the main thing that keeps the engine from dying while in park.

Thats my two cents. It could be different for acura's but I'm pretty sure that's how almost all cars are made.

Another thing I vaguely recall that the torque converter may have been self contained. Meaning it did not share any oil with the transmission, which kind of makes the issue pointless i guess.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by monky
Even in neutral, the torque converter should spin.

My experience is mainly with Ford automatic transmissions when I interned at the transmissions test plant in livonis, MI , but I'm guessing they should all be same.

I got to take apart one of the transmissions. From what i remember neutral just releases the parking latch (basically a hook on a gear) and allows the main shaft connected to the torque converter to spin freely with the gears not engaged. The torque converter has no locking machanism so it just spins with the engine.

In fact while in park, the main shaft attached to the torque convert is held still while the engine still spins the engine side of the converter. The torque converter is basically two fans blowing oil at each other. So even in park the torque converter should get oil flow, but the transmission won't get any. The t-converter is the main thing that keeps the engine from dying while in park.

Thats my two cents. It could be different for acura's but I'm pretty sure that's how almost all cars are made.

Another thing I vaguely recall that the torque converter may have been self contained. Meaning it did not share any oil with the transmission, which kind of makes the issue pointless i guess.
1. It does share the transmission fluid with the transmission, at least on our cars.
2. In neutral, the torque converter is locked, and the fluid is trapped inside.

You're right, though; it is basically just two fans blowing transmission fluid at each other.

EDIT -- Just wanted to clarify that it does spin while in neutral, because the torque converter is mounted onto the flywheel. However, the fluid won't circulate through the system -- that's what I wanted to point out.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:48 PM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Years ago when I had my Prelude Transmission repaired(=the 1 to 2nd gear clutch was shot) the #1 rated honda transmission repair guy at the Honda Garage near Cincinnati at that time said, "Change the transmission fluid every 3rd oil change. It's easy and will add lots of life to your Tranny! The Prelude went another 220,000 and my Accord had 300,000 on it and it still worked fine~! Use Castrol Dexton Mercon III. Cost me about $6/7 to change it. Don't go and get ripped off at the Acura Garage. It's too easy to drain out and put back in.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:05 AM

Bought 3 qts. of Z1 yesterday. $12.50. Will change it on Sat. Cheap deal if you consider what the garages charge to do it for you.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:16 PM
On the way!

The best method is to do the multiple drain and fill on a lift (or jack stands). Flush machines are not recommended for Hondas.

The problem with a lift/stand fluid change is that you cannot cycle the gears past 2nd gear.... That is.... unless you know the procedure to get 3rd through 5th (or 4th) on the lift.

Here it is:

1. Start the car and turn off TCS or VSA
2. Run the car up through 2nd gear (you won't get higher than that)
3. Maintain a constant 2500 rpm and shift to neutral for several seconds
4. Shift back into D5
5. Boom - you instantly get 3, 4, and 5 (if not, go to step 3)

If you do the drain fill route on a lift or stands you NEED to go through all gears (including reverse) and shift lever positions. If you don't, you're not truly mixing all of the fluid (valve body).

BTW - this works on all Hondas!
Old 10-20-2005, 06:28 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

So what exactly happens if you leave TCS on? Will the car freak out?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:29 PM
On the way!

I don't know about TCS, but VSA will flash like crazy and cut off your throttle!

... something about spinning the front wheels at 80 and the rears at 0 that the computer doesen't like... go figure...
Old 10-20-2005, 07:34 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I did a test with my car's TCS and I'm convinced it has no hold over the throttle. The engine revs freely even though the front tires are slipping and ABS is pumping. But I'd love to see a car on stands with VSA on.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:23 PM
On the way!

Oh yeah - a car with VSA in that position is certainly a bit confused!
Old 10-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Have 2 friends spin the back tires
Old 10-21-2005, 12:42 AM
60mph and then 3 honks?

Hey Guys..

Forgive my ignorance (sp) but Ive changed quite a few tranny fluids in a few hondas I've owned but on my TL-S, I noticed the drain plug, but the dipstick fill hole is so narrow how the hell are we suppose to get fluid in, I know I dont have a funnel that thin. Its like trying to screw a virgin girl with an elephants dick... it just aint happening?

Any suggestions?

vnt
Old 10-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by vntperformance
Hey Guys..

Forgive my ignorance (sp) but Ive changed quite a few tranny fluids in a few hondas I've owned but on my TL-S, I noticed the drain plug, but the dipstick fill hole is so narrow how the hell are we suppose to get fluid in, I know I dont have a funnel that thin. Its like trying to screw a virgin girl with an elephants dick... it just aint happening?

Any suggestions?

vnt
Yes there is a filler bolt. Look to the back side of the intake and straight down. (if you dont have the oil jet) its a 17mm bolt. If you do you remove the 12mm bolt and pull the oiljet out
Old 10-22-2005, 06:22 AM

When I bought my Used Honda Accord years ago, I saw on the service records from the previous that the trans. fluid was changed by the Honda Dealership at 30k. The car had 50k on it when I bought it so I figured that it would be best to change the fluid. Low and behold the Honda garage had ripped off this poor Honda owner for $45 bucks. The drain bolt had never been touched and the fluid was REAL dirty. This is why I don't go to Honda Garages. They rip you off like everyone else. OH, Guess they just forgot to do it=YEA RIGHT!
Old 10-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Luke7
When I bought my Used Honda Accord years ago, I saw on the service records from the previous that the trans. fluid was changed by the Honda Dealership at 30k. The car had 50k on it when I bought it so I figured that it would be best to change the fluid. Low and behold the Honda garage had ripped off this poor Honda owner for $45 bucks. The drain bolt had never been touched and the fluid was REAL dirty. This is why I don't go to Honda Garages. They rip you off like everyone else. OH, Guess they just forgot to do it=YEA RIGHT!
How do you know it had never been touched?
Old 10-23-2005, 08:01 AM

The Trans. oil was way way too dirty for having been changed 20,000 prior. Plus the plug had never been removed. The magnet looked like a Chia Pet with about 1/2 inch of stuff on it. Been changing the Trans. fluid for 20 years in my hondas and never did I see that much stuff and that dark of fluid come out. The transmission worked so much smoother after the change.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Been changing the Trans. fluid for 20 years in my hondas and never did I see that much stuff and that dark of fluid come out. The transmission worked so much smoother after the change.
And how many Honda have you had that had tranny failure problems
Old 10-24-2005, 06:29 AM

Only one=86 Prelude SI-the clutch failed at 125,000 between 1st and 2nd gear. A common problem so I was told with that trans. especially after many 5/6 grand shifts. I was younger and drove faster then. After the repair it ran 330,000 miles without a problem. (My neighbor owned it after I put 300,000 on it) The mechanic told me that Honda was aware of the problem and they beefed up the replacement clutch he installed. So, hey everyone, Acura is not the first car Honda has had problems with the tranny!
And sorry, the info. about filling the Trans. fluid that I posted was wrong. I looked under the hood yesterday and realized the trans. dip stick filler hole is very narrow unlike my Accord which was a large hole for refilling. Guess we neet to remove the fill bolt. Sorry bout that!
Old 10-24-2005, 06:54 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never beat my "02TLS, but I changed the fluid at approx. 6000 miles. The fluid was brown and didn't look very good. I've since sold the car and now have a 6mt. I just didn't like the AT Honda put in my TLS. I didn't feel like sitting around waiting for a tranny failure. The 6mt is awesome...and the "04 styling rocks.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Only one=86 Prelude SI-the clutch failed at 125,000 between 1st and 2nd gear. A common problem so I was told with that trans. especially after many 5/6 grand shifts. I was younger and drove faster then. After the repair it ran 330,000 miles without a problem. (My neighbor owned it after I put 300,000 on it) The mechanic told me that Honda was aware of the problem and they beefed up the replacement clutch he installed. So, hey everyone, Acura is not the first car Honda has had problems with the tranny!
And sorry, the info. about filling the Trans. fluid that I posted was wrong. I looked under the hood yesterday and realized the trans. dip stick filler hole is very narrow unlike my Accord which was a large hole for refilling. Guess we neet to remove the fill bolt. Sorry bout that!
the only problem i ever had with those gen preludes(88 si) was a shaft pin in the Diff. I had one blow a 7" hole in the side of the tranny. the other one never caused any damage when it bleaw and i was able to swap out the diff. and has around 225k on it