Motul DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Motul DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid

Is anyone running this fluid? If so, have you run into any problems with it, etc.

Long life 100% Synthetic Fluid DOT 5.1 Non-silicone base

MOTUL DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid

Meets DOT 5.1, DOT 4 AND DOT 3 manufacturer's recommendations. Fluidity specially designed for anti-locking brake system (ABS).

The high wet boiling point is 185 degrees C and 365 degrees F, which is superior to DOT 4 and DOT 3 brake fluids. Brake fluids have the properties to absorb humidity contained in the air, which reduces their boiling points and consequently, their performance. The wet boiling point is representative of the fluid after one year of use.

Specially designed for anti-lock brake systems. The viscosity (820 centipoises at -40 degrees C / -40 degrees F) lower than DOT 4 (up to 1800 cp) and DOT 3 (up to 1500 cp) brake fluids, allows an easier fluid circulation in micro-valves of anti-locking systems. Perfectly neutral with seals used in braking systems. Anti-corrosion.

Do not mix with silicone (DOT 5 silicone base) or mineral base fluids (LHM).

Performance Standards: FMVSS 116 DOT 5.1 NON-SILICONE BASE, DOT 3 AND DOT 4. SAE J 1703
Old 12-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont hold me to this but im pretty sure our manuel says dot 3 and 4 only and specifically says dont use dont dot 5. It might not be 5 but there is one it specificlly says dont use and im pretty sure its the 5.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Racer

Trackruner228,

DOT 5.1 is not the same thing as DOT 5.

DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are polyethylene glycol-based fluids while DOT 5 is a silicon based fluid. Also DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are hygroscopic while DOT 5 is not hygroscopic.

A hygroscopic fluid is one that simply absorbs water from the atmosphere.

DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 brake fluids are hygroscopic and thereby will readily absorb water. It is important that the brake fluid does absorb water and spread it out evenly through the system so that the water does not pool and cause corrosion in the brake lines which as we know can lead to brake failure.

Using a hygroscopic fluid reduces its boiling point which diminishes its performance. This is a problem for race cars, etc. but us TL guys should have no problem.

So stay away from DOT 5, but DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are fine.

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Sohan24 (02-18-2018)
Old 12-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Race Director

Hm oh wow well thanks for the explanation good to know the future.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Racer

I am using this on my car. THis came highly recommended by my mechanic for everyday fluid performance, i am also using Motul for my Oil as well. GOod product.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Racer

Trackruner228, you are welcome.

BAPE head, thank you sir. How many bottles did it take to refill the system? Thx.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:57 PM
RickRoush03

that fluid is WAY OVER KILL for these cars, way over kill, your wasting your money. i use motul rbf600 in my crotch rocket but that generates alot more heat in the braking system and the bike see's lots of hard riding. unless your a track day guy or racer, dot4 should be good enough for ya.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
To get better braking performance, look into stainless steel brake lines.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by RickRoush03
that fluid is WAY OVER KILL for these cars, way over kill, your wasting your money. i use motul rbf600 in my crotch rocket but that generates alot more heat in the braking system and the bike see's lots of hard riding. unless your a track day guy or racer, dot4 should be good enough for ya.
Unless your tracking your car its overkill. Also unless you have better brake pads (by better i mean better than axxis ultimates and ebc green stuff) there is little point of that fluid as well as teh pads will go due to heat before the fluid. SS lines should aslo be considered as well. Sure you can use it but what are you hoping to achieve from it?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Racer

fsttyms1,

I did a search yesterday and I read about your deep hate about the Axxis Ultimate pads.

I am in the process of modifying my brake system. Will be changing out the rotors, pads, fluid, and lines.

I was talking to one of the guys at StopTech and gleaning some info and he told me the Ultimates are the "ultimate" (no pun intended) street pad. Stoptech runs these pads as standard items on their big brake kits. I also learned that some top level autocross drivers prefer them for their performance when dead cold.

Why do you dislike them so much? I know they are very dusty and can be slightly loud but their bite is incredible from what I have read. Did you bed them in properly? I know that a proper bedding in process is needed for these pads to work at their best.

What pads are the ultimate street pads in your opinon?
Old 12-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by @sport
fsttyms1,

I did a search yesterday and I read about your deep hate about the Axxis Ultimate pads.

I am in the process of modifying my brake system. Will be changing out the rotors, pads, fluid, and lines.

I was talking to one of the guys at StopTech and gleaning some info and he told me the Ultimates are the "ultimate" (no pun intended) street pad. Stoptech runs these pads as standard items on their big brake kits. I also learned that some top level autocross drivers prefer them for their performance when dead cold.

Why do you dislike them so much? I know they are very dusty and can be slightly loud but their bite is incredible from what I have read. Did you bed them in properly? I know that a proper bedding in process is needed for these pads to work at their best.

What pads are the ultimate street pads in your opinon?
Ive used them and hate them. They were the worst pad i ever used. on top of the incredible dust and some noise, they did not like heat. I find it hard to believe ANY top level auto x'er (i auto x) would use them They woudl stick with a pad more along the lines of (Ebc red or black, or the Satisfied GS6 orGS5). They would be using far more aggressive pads. YES i bed them in. They just didnt handle heat well to me. My stock pads lasted longer at Road America (in terms of braking before i had to do some cool down laps on the brakes) than the Ultimates did. I prefere EBC Green stuff (and reds for heavy track) way over the axxis. They handle heat alot better imho. I have friends that race as well and have experienced similar things with them and also prefer different pads as well
Most of us prefer EBC (green and red) Satisfied GS and Hawks upper levels (hps and hp plus).

The best pads in my opinion would be the green stuff or Satisfied.

Also what are you looking to do? If you never auto x or anything like that then Satisfied Pro Ceramic Pads would work as well.
I personally dont like hawks as well due to their high po street pads dont last as long
Old 12-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Racer

fsttyms1,

Thanks for the reply.

I was told about the autocross drivers using the Ultimates by the StopTech rep. I cannot confirm if its true or not.

My car is a street driven car. It is not a daily but when it is used it is driven extremely hard. Primarily in roads that have a lot of twisties & straights combined. So I need a well balanced pad that can handle anything I throw at it, whenever I throw at it. I am not worried about pad wear, rotor wear, dust, etc. I just want the best street pads possible. When I told the rep my needs, he proceeded to recommend the Ultimates.

I am running the OEM rotors and pads which have not suited my needs. I had some scary incidents at 120 mph and feel very unconfident with my brakes.

I was planning on going the following route. Some will say it is overkill but if it takes overkill for me to be supremely confident in the braking system, then so be it.

- StopTech slotted rotors. (F & R)
- Bleed brakes & refill using Motul DOT 5.1
- Goodridge SS brake lines.
- Axxis Ultimate pads. (F & R)

I have heard some good stuff about the Hawk HP Plus. Have you tried them?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Senior Moderator

fsttyms1,

Thanks for the reply.

I was told about the autocross drivers using the Ultimates by the StopTech rep. I cannot confirm if its true or not.

My car is a street driven car. It is not a daily but when it is used it is driven extremely hard. Primarily in roads that have a lot of twisties & straights combined. So I need a well balanced pad that can handle anything I throw at it, whenever I throw at it. I am not worried about pad wear, rotor wear, dust, etc. I just want the best street pads possible. When I told the rep my needs, he proceeded to recommend the Ultimates.

I am running the OEM rotors and pads which have not suited my needs. I had some scary incidents at 120 mph and feel very unconfident with my brakes.

I was planning on going the following route. Some will say it is overkill but if it takes overkill for me to be supremely confident in the braking system, then so be it.

- StopTech slotted rotors. (F & R)
- Bleed brakes & refill using Motul DOT 5.1
- Goodridge SS brake lines.
- Axxis Ultimate pads. (F & R)

I have heard some good stuff about the Hawk HP Plus. Have you tried them?
For starters What you may think is aggressive probably isnt. (not knocking you) 2nd Most real hipo setups arent that great for street use untill they become hot. What you experienced braking at those speeds wont be changed much from what you have to what you want. Alot has to do with tires, balance of the car while braking, master cyl, abs programing and driver. Sure you will see some braking benefits from what you have listed above over stock, but i just dont know what your expecting? To get the ultimate in braking a good BBK is required. Better calipers (a big key) larger rotors.
You will care about pad wear and rotor wear when your replacing them every year.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Racer

fsttyms1,

You make some valid points. I appreciate your honest responses.

The only companies that make a BBK for the second gen TL are Rotora and Brembo, right?

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes that i know of. Rotora brakes BBK and regular slotted rotors are very good brakes as well.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Racer

Trackruner228, you are welcome.

BAPE head, thank you sir. How many bottles did it take to refill the system? Thx.
I believe my mechanic said it took about 2.0 L to 2.5 L to completely drain and refill my system.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
you will be fine with 1L