Moisture in cleared headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Moisture in cleared headlights...

With the recent post regarding HIDs burning out, I just had a concern. I currently have passenger side headlights fogging up and I'm contemplating whether I should reopen and redo the whole thing OR find out where the leak is and just seal that area.

What do you guys think?? I want to try and take care of this as soon as possible so that I can avoid the future headache. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are still under warranty I would not even think about anything else but taking it in to the dealer... They should replace the entire thing with a new one.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cqq99
If you are still under warranty I would not even think about anything else but taking it in to the dealer... They should replace the entire thing with a new one.
um... are u reading my post correctly?? my headlights are cleared, hence my warranty has already been voided. I doubt they will replace my cleared headlights

I'm trying to avoid further headaches by trying to remedy my current situation.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:53 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Mongolian,
I would suggest you use some silicone and just caulk the top of the headlights first. When I did my xenon projector retro on my MDX, I had some fogging when I washed the car. I siliconed the top seal on the headlights and no problems since.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If they are not careful they might not even know. The dealer a couple of times didnt even know I cleared them.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:16 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If it wasnt fogging before and it is not after the HID burnt I think you just have to let the moisture come out and then you will be fine. Remove the high beam bulb, it will be a lot easier than the HID bulb.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bxscig
If they are not careful they might not even know. The dealer a couple of times didnt even know I cleared them.

If they pop open my hood, they'll see honda bond residue. Unless they're retarded they'll know. Besides, my dealership knows me as the only modded TL-s that does every little maintenance work at the dealer.... so i doubt i could get away.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Banned

It's worth taking in, but whatever you do figure something out before you get moisture in those oh so pricey HID's!!
Old 12-22-2004, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Open it up and redo the whole thing. If you wait, the moisture levels can increase and the drops will fall right into the ballast which is under the headlight blowing it.

It happened to me and cost me $150 to replace the part. I redid the headlights a second time using black silicone, and I went nuts with it making sure I covered every miliimeter of the gap. Never had a problem in the years since.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Open it up and redo the whole thing. If you wait, the moisture levels can increase and the drops will fall right into the ballast which is under the headlight blowing it.

It happened to me and cost me $150 to replace the part. I redid the headlights a second time using black silicone, and I went nuts with it making sure I covered every miliimeter of the gap. Never had a problem in the years since.

got ya. thanks for the input. I'm going to go nuts with the sealant this time
Old 01-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry to revive a thread, but I'm having a similar problem, I just cleared/blacked out my headlights this past weekend (which I've done plenty of times in the past to my other cars) and I drove to work today and saw moisture in the lights! (no rain or anything today) so I parked with the headlights in the sun and took out the turn signal bulbs, the moisture went away and I put the bulbs back in and drove home. well tonight I drove to a friend's house and when I got home there was moisture in both lights again! I sealed them all up except the very corner, closest to the respective door (these are 3rd gen lights) with silicone, even though that probably wasn't necessary. So as soon as I saw it I pulled the turn signal bulbs out again, hit the lenses with a heat gun, and as soon as the moisture went away I blew some air in the lights from my compressor. hopefully it'll stay gone but I'm scared that it'll be there waiting for me tomorrow when I get downstairs!

Someone help!!!

Thanks!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
p.s. i'm in FL which is pretty humid if that helps!
Old 06-07-2013, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

My husband and I bought a used 2007 Acura MDX. It came with no warranty and we noticed the low beam bulb was out. So after paying $100 for new bulbs we learned that it must be the ballast. It is holding moisture in the passenger side headlight. Hate to put more money into it if it is not going to fix it. Any advise??? I have done some other research on other sites and see this is a known problem. A guy had wrote another forum saying he contacted Acura and they covered 70% of the dealer costs. Has anyone heard this? Is it worth checking into? The guy on the forum had also said it had happened again only this time to the other side. He was waiting to hear back from Acura. But no update. Can someone please tell us what to do??? We don't have tons of money to pour into this car but love it so much only after 3 months of ownership. It seems if this is a on going problem with Acura than they would make it right.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:44 AM
3rd Gear

Nice thread bump.